first periods

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Kreme

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

My friend’s DD did a week of swimming training with the Modibodi swimmers and said they were fantastic - no issues.

They always seemed to be out of stock when I tried to buy them for DD so I ended up buying Pantiprop swimmers from the US. They have a “pocket” for a pad but DD has used them on their own and they’re fine.

I wasn’t able to comfortably use tampons until I was 16 and DD isn’t interested in them at this point. She does dancing and we have a pool and she has had no issues using the swimmers and period undies.

#27 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

Tampax orginal applicator tampons are cardboard tubes and not plastic. However I find they expand to be a long tampon, rather than short and wide like Carefree.
I use applicator tampons as I have short fingers and could never get non applicator ones up high enough, so something to take into consideration re what type of tampon.

#28 RPM

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

I would also recommend making sure you don't just get "girl type" pads and tampons.

My Mum got me mini tampons and girl pads, but my periods were really heavy from the get to and these were near to useless.  I needed super versions straight away!

#29 kirstenfleur

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

I didn't even consider pads or tampons for DD11, just put in an order for Modibodi pants. There was no way she was going to be able to cope.
The undies have been utterly brilliant; they last till after school and then she can change them. I make sure she's got a clean supply for the week. How I wish we'd had period underpants when I was eleven!

#30 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 25 July 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

A timely thread for me too.  DD turned 12 five days ago and got her first period yesterday.  Luckily we have been well prepared for some time with a range of samples and a pouch with supplies in her school bag and she seems to be dealing with it ok.

But she does squad swimming 3 days a week, so I'm thinking this could add up to a lot of missed training, as well as the potential to miss out on competitions which could work out to be a lot of money down the drain (just paid $80 for entries for a meet in a few weeks).  

At only just 12 I'm not sure how long it will be before she is ready to try tampons, but browsing period undies online last night I found one brand with swimmers.  Anyone tried these, they might be the solution we need?

We have this struggle at the moment too.  DD is 12 and swims 4 times a week but having her period is really interrupting her training.  Don't think her male coach is too sympathetic unfortunately.   She hasn't had it for a comp yet.

We have tried both styles of swimmer bathers.  They are great on the lighter days.  But she's not confident to use them if the flow is heavy.  Buy them in black and then get all your other bathers with a black base - you can hardly see the Australian brand under other bathers but the US version is bulky.  I would buy two pairs so you can change half way through a swimming comp.

Its tricky for swimmers......

#31 Prancer is coming

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

I hear you quick hedgehog.  My turning 13 this month just got her period and she does a lot of water based things and competitions we go to generally go for 6 hours.  I have heard applicator tampons are easier, so will stock up on them.  She does not want to miss out, so I figure will experimeht.  Flow is really light at the moment and first cycle was really short, but cannot bank in that.  

From what I have heard, swimwear does not give good coverage, more for short periods of time.  As you would expect really, just like swim nappies only are meant to hold poos and not wees.

Mouk, we got modibidi here, mainly because they were the cheapest!  Quite happy with them though.

#32 Chicken Pie

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Can I ask a question...what symptoms or signs did your DD have before th period started?

Have any started before / same time as boobs (dd is starting to bud and has hair growth starting for some time)?

#33 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

View PostChicken Pie, on 08 August 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Can I ask a question...what symptoms or signs did your DD have before th period started?

Have any started before / same time as boobs (dd is starting to bud and has hair growth starting for some time)?

I think under arm hair is a pretty clear sign that the first period is close.   DD also had a big growth spurt in the 6 months prior and started getting discharge.

#34 Prancer is coming

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

My DD fainted a few weeks before, I think it was connected.  I have not noticed any under arm hair, but she had some breast development and I think pubic hair.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 08 August 2019 - 11:35 PM.

#35 Moukmouk

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

No underarm hair, but pubic hair. Definite breast buds - actually more than that and pimples the couple of months before. Big growth spurt and mood swings.

#36 Chicken Pie

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

yeah she has had discharge since last year and the last couple weeks her moods have been out of this world. she has noticed some discolouration twice in her discharge recently

how heavy would a first period be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.