DS3 and teacher having issues

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#26 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

My friends DS is on the spectrum and has ADHD. She was able to get him excused from his last class on a Friday during reception (a language) because he was exhausted.
It sounds like this would be a better bet for your son.  I would speak to the principal too. It might be that they have to tick the boxes for the national curriculum but surely for special needs there is an exception or another way to satisfy the curriculum?

We are in SA if that helps.

#27 kadoodle

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

I did this with DS1 at that age, WM. He came home after lunch on Friday as he’d just fall asleep in the library reading corner during lunch playtime and set off a panic about him being missing.

DS3 doesn’t usually fall asleep; usually he just hides in the classroom and refuses to participate.

#28 kadoodle

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

She just called me to complain about me “going over her head”! Loony woman, I think she needs a career change. I’m going to have to speak to the principal about this tomorrow, I’m really not impressed.

#29 Paddlepop

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

Definite loony with massive power struggle and control issues.

You didn't go over her head. You tried to resolve it with her and she wouldn't cooperate and try any of the suggestions. She's had two terms to work together with you and DS. I wouldn't have been that patient and would have skipped up the food chain sooner, so she should be thankful for your patience.

Put it in writing to the school that loony art teacher isn't to ring you again. Email only from now on with her.

Teacher has lost sight of the most important person in all of this: the 5yo child. DS3 is the most important person, not her. The vulnerable child, not the power tripping adult.

I hope he enjoys his extra library lesson and not having to deal with the cow any more.

#30 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:00 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 24 July 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

She just called me to complain about me “going over her head”! Loony woman, I think she needs a career change. I’m going to have to speak to the principal about this tomorrow, I’m really not impressed.

Jesus, she cray cray!!!

#31 robhat

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

Definitely a nutty teacher.

Make sure you tell the principal that she called and complained that you are 'going over her head'. She needs to be told that this isn't appropriate and won't be tolerated.

#32 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

She’s the walking embodiment of the saying ‘some people cannot be pleased’.

Doesn’t want to teach the kid but not happy when said kid isn’t in her class. Cray cray.

#33 Coffeegirl

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Say wha??   She calls you every week to complain about your child.  She refuses to try to work with you to fix the issue.  Then she b**ches when you fix the issue?

Yeah.  I’d be in the principal’s office first thing tomorrow making a formal complaint.    She’s way over stepped the boundaries there.

#34 Tokra

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

What in the hell? I'd complain about that too.

#35 onetrick

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:30 PM

Omg- shes insane!
First thing I do when I'm struggling with a student is find someone who has had successes to ask for advice as I assume I need to change mybehavioue, not the student.
Please report the recent phone call, that's beyond ridiculous (stalkerish??). Imagine the comments if the roles were reversed and a parent called a teacher that frequently...

#36 kadoodle

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

The thing is, too, I’ve had kids going to this school for 10 years (DS3 is my fifth), and I’ve never had an issue with this teacher before. Aside from a couple of “your child needs a new art smock/can you donate cardboard boxes for craft” type notes in schoolbags, we’ve barely crossed each other’s paths.

I’ve also had a mostly harmonious relationship with the school leadership.

#37 Holidayromp

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Can your son go into another class.  Irrespective of what is done, this woman’s behaviour indicates that she will bear a grudge.

Definitely a formal complaint and a gag order on the teacher!!

#38 Ferelsmegz

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Hmmm seems shes made it her mission to prove a point with your DS!!!

My son is ASD and he just cant cope the lack of structure in classes such as art, music and sport, hes in year 10 now and doesnt have to do any of those classes thankfully but more often then not in PS he would just go with his aide or the main teacher and do something else.

#39 Tokra

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

How did you go at the school K?

#40 kadoodle

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:24 PM

They were a bit embarrassed that she’d been in touch, and said it wouldn’t happen again.

#41 jkate_

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

The woman sounds absolutely crazy!

That aside, an extra library lesson sounds like a fabulous option for him.

#42 kadoodle

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

Assarrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!  He had a supply teacher today, who sent him to art. I got called about him misbehaving (him and another boy poking each other and not listening) and asked to come and collect him. By the time I got there (muddy and in work boots) the bell was five minutes away, and she just kept complaining.

As of now, he’s home on Tuesday afternoon. I’m sick of this.

#43 Paddlepop

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

Don't give up yet. The art teacher should have known that he was supposed to be with the library class, and the library class should have known that he was missing from their class. Even with the supply teacher not knowing of the altered arrangement for DS the other two teachers involved should have known and made sure he was in the correct room.

The school has let you down today, and they need to fix it. Go and talk to the principal again and let him/her know it's not good enough and they need to get it right next week.

Also tell him about the bloody art teacher complaining at you yet again about DS and that she needs to STFU. She can direct any complaints via the classroom teacher or the principal, or arrange a three way meeting with one of them and you. No more open access for her to talk to you. Hang up on her next time. Tell her to get the school office to call you and hang up.

I know that the easy solution is to have DS3 at home but the school has a responsibility to him. Give them another chance to get it right, even though you probably just want to wrap DS3 up and keep him away from the sh*tty teacher.

#44 Tokra

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:45 PM

Oh that is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.

Agree with everything Paddlepop said and she said it perfectly.

#45 lazycritter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Long story short,  my 9 year old in grade 3 dx with  lv1 ASD and mild verbal dispraxia,  has been having the worst year so far in terms of school refusal. The lote class has been the biggest problem which for all accounts and purposes makes complete sense.

The school weren't willing to offer options unfortunately at the beginning. So I decided just to get him to school by promising is pick him up early on lote days. It's the last hour of school and I schedule his speech sessions every second week on the same day in the afternoon.

He missed 30 days of school last semester so they have accepted it. Well they haven't said anything else.

#46 Prancer is coming

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:16 PM

Argh, how annoying.  

Totally agree with paddlepop.  You need to talk to the school and for this to not happen again.  Our school has a folder of basic info for each class to be given to the relief teacher.  Maybe something needs to be added to that?  As already mentioned, numerous other staff could have acted differently too.

I would not pick him up early.  I think school attendance is important and something I need to be firm on, and if my kid knew I was giving him time off as it was too hard to sort, I would be concerned he would play on that and create other situations to warrant more time off school.

My kid has some special needs and I have another I am trying to get a diagnosis for at the moment.  I get no enjoyment out of having to talk to the school re issues and often have to psych myself up to go and see a senior staff member...again.  But it is something I need to do for my child, so I hold my head high and go in to speak to someone again.

#47 kadoodle

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

I got onto the speechie and DS2’s music teacher. DS3 now has speech therapy, OT, and piano lessons on Tuesday afternoons. School isn’t happy, but I don’t GAF any more.

#48 Paddlepop

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

If school isn't happy then they should have done something sooner and kept a tight rein on the art teacher. Actually, more like a muzzle.

Sounds like a much more productive use of an afternoon than enduring the crappy art teacher.

Cue the phone call next week from the art teacher asking why DS3 wasn't in class...

#49 PrincessPeach

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

If they feel art classes are more importantly than therapy classes they should have done something sooner.

#50 lazycritter

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

View Postkadoodle, on 31 July 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

I got onto the speechie and DS2’s music teacher. DS3 now has speech therapy, OT, and piano lessons on Tuesday afternoons. School isn’t happy, but I don’t GAF any more.

Good.

Yep, school not happy about it with my son but they weren't providing alternatives.

The school's opinion is that he has to get used to different teachers and lote for real life.
WTF. He's 9 years old and we're still trying to get him to pronounce l, w, d, and th sounds correctly.

I swear to God,  if they put him in a teacher share clear again next year I'll give them hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.