How do you make laundry smell good?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

ERipley, on 24 July 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yes! I just took a duvet hot out of the dryer and sniffed it and this is the smell! He has no problem with anything except the towels so I guess they just hold the smell while other things don’t.
Towels are absorbent (duh) but if your dryer is a sensor dry one, it may turn off before the towels are dried right through. Try letting them cool spread out so it can completely dry before folding and putting away.

#27 Soontobegran

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Those advocating sun and breeze are of course remembering that both of these are absent for very many of us on very many days of the year.

Kispray is what I use. It smells of an Indonesian laundry.

#28 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:56 PM

Soontobegran, on 24 July 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

Those advocating sun and breeze are of course remembering that both of these are absent for very many of us on very many days of the year.

Kispray is what I use. It smells of an Indonesian laundry.

I was about to say this! The weather is miserable here. Plus I hate crunchy towels, though I remember a thread a while back where a lot of EB members said they love them. Honestly, I think his sensory issues would be 10 times worth with rough towels. We’re coping with the smell but I will definitely try some of these ideas.

#29 jayskette

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:59 PM

take clothes out immediately after cycle finished, and dry in the sun

#30 Soontobegran

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

Please stop recommending sun in southern states in winter... It is just not possible at the moment (:

#31 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:07 PM

Soontobegran, on 24 July 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

Please stop recommending sun in southern states in winter... It is just not possible at the moment (:

I’m getting about 2 hours of weak sunshine on sunny days right now. And sunny days are few.

#32 Ellie bean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I use fabric softener but my mum is currently using vinegar instead, apparently that’s a thing now, that might be something your husband and son can tolerate?

#33 Ellie bean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

can, on 24 July 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

Towels are absorbent (duh) but if your dryer is a sensor dry one, it may turn off before the towels are dried right through. Try letting them cool spread out so it can completely dry before folding and putting away.
Yep or run the dryer for an extra 15 mins

#34 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

The towels are bone dry. I put them on the duvet setting and don’t pull them out until they are completely dry. Then they don’t usually get folded, just put back on the rail in the bathroom to be used again, so they would air there a bit anyway. The problem isn’t the towels really, I think he just needs a particular scent that will make them comforting for him.

#35 CG123

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

I don’t like the smell of items that come out of the dryer if I have used a pod in the washing machine. The items smell great coming out of the machine and when dried on the line or inside on an airer.

I only use powder on our towels and socks & jocks because I know I’ll put them in the dryer in winter.

#36 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:28 PM

it was a beautiful sunny day in sydney today. and yesterday. perfect drying weather. cheap. environmentally friendly.

#37 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

ERipley, on 24 July 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

The towels are bone dry. I put them on the duvet setting and don’t pull them out until they are completely dry. Then they don’t usually get folded, just put back on the rail in the bathroom to be used again, so they would air there a bit anyway. The problem isn’t the towels really, I think he just needs a particular scent that will make them comforting for him.
Could taking them out earlier in the cycle help?  If they’re not so dry and hot, maybe they won’t absorb that burnt rubber smell as much?  If you’re hanging them straight back on the rail, a little damp might be ok if the room is warm and dries before the next use?

If you’re in an area that doesn’t get much sunshine, are the towels drying in between uses?  Mould can grow really easily, has a distinctive smell and might not be killed off with your regular washing routine.

#38 Ellie bean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:34 PM

We have a neighbour who runs a wood chimney with (I assume by the stench) green wood 24/7 6 months of the year. In Perth of all places. We can’t hang anything outside or it absolutely reeks, we can hardly open windows that side of the house. Council and EPA both refuse to do anything and she’s totally nuts too.
So yep we use the dryer half the year. Try to run it when the sun is out as we have solar panels, but sometimes the clothesline just isn’t an option.
Eta sorry that was in response to LBs post.

Edited by Ellie bean, 24 July 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#39 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

can, on 24 July 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

Could taking them out earlier in the cycle help?  If they’re not so dry and hot, maybe they won’t absorb that burnt rubber smell as much?  If you’re hanging them straight back on the rail, a little damp might be ok if the room is warm and dries before the next use?

If you’re in an area that doesn’t get much sunshine, are the towels drying in between uses?  Mould can grow really easily, has a distinctive smell and might not be killed off with your regular washing routine.

I could take them out earlier I suppose. Even fresh and clean and dry he complains. Honestly, no one else had a problem with the towels. I put them on the 95C wash every few washes too. I don’t think the towels are the problem at all.

#40 Paddlepop

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:44 PM

Try a few fragranced detergents. Would he be willing to go to the shops with you to smell some? Probably the fastest way to work out what he likes. Keep that detergent just for the towels.

#41 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 24 July 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

it was a beautiful sunny day in sydney today. and yesterday. perfect drying weather. cheap. environmentally friendly.

I’m another 877km south. Miserable here lately.

#42 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

Paddlepop, on 24 July 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

Try a few fragranced detergents. Would he be willing to go to the shops with you to smell some? Probably the fastest way to work out what he likes. Keep that detergent just for the towels.

I think this is a good idea.

#43 Paddlepop

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

How about home made dryer sheets? Some vinegar, essential oil (lemon perhaps?), and cut up dishcloths in a jar.
https://www.popsugar...Sheets-42168090

#44 autumn-mae

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

I must be an ultra minimalist - or just cheap ;)  because i only use half the recommended scoop of whatever cheapest powder,  no fabric softener or scented anything, don't own a dryer.

I only hang large items outside, everything else - I throw on the clothes horse under a fan in the sun room with the window open.

Dries within 24 hrs and no smells ever.

Never hot wash, never double rinse etc. This is the way my gran showed me in the days of the twin tub and I've never 'progressed' or had problems.

Used to grate a bit of sunlight soap but in recent years changed to powder ooh la la

#45 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:05 PM

autumn-mae, on 24 July 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

I must be an ultra minimalist - or just cheap ;)  because i only use half the recommended scoop of whatever cheapest powder,  no fabric softener or scented anything, don't own a dryer.

I only hang large items outside, everything else - I throw on the clothes horse under a fan in the sun room with the window open.

Dries within 24 hrs and no smells ever.

Never hot wash, never double rinse etc. This is the way my gran showed me in the days of the twin tub and I've never 'progressed' or had problems.

Used to grate a bit of sunlight soap but in recent years changed to powder ooh la la

I think you must have a lot of space! It sounds dreamy.

I can barely keep my head above water at the moment. I have almost 3 year old twins who wet their sheets, mattress protectors and duvet almost every night. Then there’s the general mess and many changes of 3 young and busy kids. Our outdoor spaces are either a teency courtyard with a teency line that sees almost no sun ever, or the clothes horse on the balcony. In summer I use the clothes horse a lot, but in winter things can be out there all day and won’t dry half the time. Then I forget about them and they get rained on, but that’s another story.

In winter I have the dryer doing the sheets and duvet all the time, then whichever loads I can fit in after that, with various items of clothing hanging over the backs of chairs or up the stair bannister. I can only imagine the joy of an actual sun room with actual sunshine in it.

#46 Paddlepop

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

Are the twins in night nappies? If not, put them in nappies. That much washing daily sounds miserable.

BTW, I get it about dryer use. I'm in a unit, so no clothes line. I've got two clothes airers on our covered balcony but I generally only hang out things like underwear or DD's school uniforms or stuff that isn't dryer safe. In summer it's too hot out there to hang things out, and in winter there's not enough warmth to dry things in one day and I'm in Brisbane with plenty of sunny days.

#47 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

Paddlepop, on 24 July 2019 - 11:11 PM, said:

Are the twins in night nappies? If not, put them in nappies. That much washing daily sounds miserable.

BTW, I get it about dryer use. I'm in a unit, so no clothes line. I've got two clothes airers on our covered balcony but I generally only hang out things like underwear or DD's school uniforms or stuff that isn't dryer safe. In summer it's too hot out there to hang things out, and in winter there's not enough warmth to dry things in one day and I'm in Brisbane with plenty of sunny days.

They are in nappies but it’s that annoying stage where they fill them up but a larger nappy would just leak. It is miserable! I have taken to changing them in the middle of the night, but of course that’s miserable too and isn’t always working. They save it up for the new nappy!

I forget how awful really hot weather is for drying things too. Hot summer days here things are crispy dry within half an hour. Really crispy and rough though.

#48 Ellie bean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:27 PM

^^i used to put ds in a normal nappy with a larger nappy over the top at one point
Also I’d probably ditch the sheets and have them just sleep on the mattress protector till they are dry- less washing!

#49 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:29 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 24 July 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

That’s great for your household.

As mentioned, it doesn’t suit all households. Some people live in areas that isn’t sunny. Some people have health reasons why line drying isn’t suitable.

As for being environmentally friendly, each family makes choices and we shouldn’t judge others on an isolated issue.

My dryer is one of the most efficient on the market and uses 1.63kWh per full 9kg load. I can ‘save’ that amount of electricity by confiscating my children’s phone for 3 days rofl. Or turning them off for 12 hrs everyday. There are many ways that we use or save electricity.

For comparison:
Microsoft Surface Pro 0.07kWh x8hrs = 0.56/day
iPhone X 0.01kWh x 25hrs = 0.24/day
LG French door fridge 1.73 kW/day
65” LG LED tv uses 0.84 kW/day (assumes 5hrs)

Or, if I used the dryer once a day, 365days that would equate to 0.49tonnes of carbon emissions.

A return flight from Sydney to LAX for 1 seat generates 1.79 tonnes of carbon emissions. So, if I leave one child behind on a family trip to the US, I could use the dryer guilt free for 3 years 😜

#50 Claudia Jean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

Soontobegran, on 24 July 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

I'm in Melbourne! Saturday was a fabulous washing day, I did three loads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.