How do you make laundry smell good?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 ERipley

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:44 PM

View PostClaudia Jean, on 24 July 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

I'm in Melbourne! Saturday was a fabulous washing day, I did three loads.

We get the occasional day of course (if you have a washing line with full sun) but they are few and far between. I was out from 11 to 5 too. 🤣

ETA: it was a much nicer day for drinking wine by the river.

Edited by ERipley, 24 July 2019 - 11:45 PM.

#52 BECZ

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:33 AM

How do you heat your home OP?  Is there a heater or duct that you can hang them in front of or under?  I agree with PP about taking them out of the dryer before they are totally dry and get that smell. If your running a heater etc. maybe finish them off that way (safely of course).  I’m ultra lazy in winter and dry most of the washing in front of our slow combustion wood heater at night when the kids are in bed.  It adds some moisture back into the air too.  It’s been so dry here in Sydney lately.  Lovely days, but lots of dry skin and cracked lips etc.

#53 More cheese Gromit

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

I’m in Melbourne and have dried washing  outside everyday this week ... there aren’t that many days that I can’t hang washing outside
The days I can’t I use a clothes horse that I stand in the bath so it’s out of the way

Anyway I vote for fresh air whenever possible

#54 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:15 AM

I use Surf and it’s always smelled nice.

#55 rosie28

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

I’m in Melbourne and hang washing outside most days. Unless it’s really freezing or raining it still gives the washing a fresh air smell.

#56 Claudia Jean

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

I find wind is more effective than sun for drying clothes anyway, and there's plenty of wind in Melbourne!

#57 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Do an extra rinse with vinegar or eucalyptus oil or canestan rinse.

Dry in the sun.

#58 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 24 July 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

Please stop recommending sun in southern states in winter... It is just not possible at the moment (:
What I mean is not constantly using a dryer, afterr every single wash.

If I can't hang towels outside, I will hang inside so that they dry naturally (Mrs Peggs clothes line). In winter, it's more than likely that heating will be used somewhere in the house - hang in a room with heating.

I use a dryer every so often, I don't use it all the time. Using the dryer is the exception, not the rule, for me.

#59 Cherubs

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

Not sure if they are still available but I used to always use linen spray when I ironed, they were in a pump spray with a fine mist nozzle, you just spritzed the clothes then ironed, they were very subtle fragrances but made my clothes smell fresh. I used to buy jasmine and linen, they had other scents.  I also sprayed my linen and just folded it, so spritz and fold would probably work too.

#60 seayork2002

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

When I lived in a cold climate, so cold the washing froze solid I still loved hanging it out because not most of the time there was no sun but the fresh air made it nice, in my opinion that is

#61 Jingleflea

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Mum used to swear by hanging the nappies out on the line at night for the frost to get onto the next morning. She said they stayed whiter than white.

I don't own a dryer, but i have a great airer set up under the heater in the family room all winter. Even if it's sunny here(Canberra) like today, the washing needs a bit more overnight or it gets put away not 100% dry i find. probably mostly because I never get it done early enough in the day.

#62 Sentient Puddle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

Please stop recommending sun in southern states in winter... It is just not possible at the moment (:

I live in the same southern state as you do STBG and have no dryer and dry the towels outside and bring them in to finish off drying inside at night in front of a heater.  It is possible - just more work than shoving them in a dryer.  I get that for many reasons people don't but have not had that much rain in Melbourne and more wind than normal.

#63 ERipley

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

I think if I had a backyard with a proper clothesline I would do a lot more outside, even on cold and cloudy days like today. I don’t though and I don’t have time to be pegging huge loads on the balcony on a tiny clothes horse that won’t dry them then bring them all in again and put them in the dryer anyway. I will reassess the situation when I’m not doing 4+ full loads per day. It’s killing me. Not slowly. 😭

#64 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:21 PM

And yet many many people in the southern states manage to dry washing outside in winter.

#65 Claudia Jean

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

View PostERipley, on 25 July 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

I think if I had a backyard with a proper clothesline I would do a lot more outside, even on cold and cloudy days like today. I don’t though and I don’t have time to be pegging huge loads on the balcony on a tiny clothes horse that won’t dry them then bring them all in again and put them in the dryer anyway. I will reassess the situation when I’m not doing 4+ full loads per day. It’s killing me. Not slowly.

4 loads a day is horrendous.

If you're open to suggestions, I live in an apartment and have this clothesline on my balcony: https://www.lifestyl...170-clothesline

I've found it to be much better than a clotheshorse for hanging out washing in a small space.

#66 linen_and_lace

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

Just a tip for those of you using your heating to dry your washing - your air conditioner will usually have a 'dry' mode - this works as a dehumidifier and I've been told that hanging your washing in the same room when set to this mode is actually more efficient than a clothes dryer.

#67 ERipley

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostClaudia Jean, on 25 July 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

If you're open to suggestions, I live in an apartment and have this clothesline on my balcony: https://www.lifestyl...170-clothesline

I've found it to be much better than a clotheshorse for hanging out washing in a small space.

Oooh! That looks really good. Will it stand up ok in the wind?

Edited by ERipley, 25 July 2019 - 12:46 PM.

#68 ERipley

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 25 July 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

And yet many many people in the southern states manage to dry washing outside in winter.

We all have different situations. Just because some people can manage something doesn’t mean everyone can.

#69 Claudia Jean

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

View PostERipley, on 25 July 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Oooh! That looks really good. Will it stand up ok in the wind?

Like a dream :)

#70 Moo point

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

My suggestions if any help:

Get a fully plastic mattress protector for the twins' beds, ~$8 from Pillowtalk or similar. One less thing to wash and completely protects the bed, just wipe down after it's stripped.

https://www.pillowta...r/p/MATBTOTAL08

You can also get waterproof doona covers from a few different places - wish we had one when DS (aged 7) got gastro a couple of weeks ago :/

Small nappy then larger nappy on top, with a couple of small holes with slits cut into the smaller nappy. OR, larger nappy with undies firm over the top (to hold it down and prevent leaks).

We are in a unit with only a shared clothesline that faces a semi-public street - I don't hang anything there I wouldn't mind being stolen, though haven't lost anything yet. We use our large common laundry dryer ($3 per cycle), but also have a dehumidifier with a laundry setting. Guaranteed to dry a couple of loads of laundry overnight, even if a doona or set of sheets are hanging over chairs and doors :)

I feel your pain x

Edited by Moo point, 25 July 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#71 seayork2002

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

We only have a balcony (you can't see washing from the outside of it) and we hang clothes on hangers and hand off the portable line, in summer put straight away and in winter we bring them in and hang them off the ironing board overnight then put away.

Mind you we are pretty lazy so we constantly have washing outside and just put away when we feel like it, the neighbors have probably seen more than they like of us running out there half naked collecting bits

for smaller things we bring in and dump somewhere till it dries, I loathe driers (no this is not a comment on anyone else I just hate them personally)

#72 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostERipley, on 25 July 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

We all have different situations. Just because some people can manage something doesn’t mean everyone can.

I agree.

I was replying to one specific poster, sorry it touched a raw nerve with you.

Im sorry your situation sucks right now, that amount of washing would have pushed me to the edge when o lived down south.

#73 Paddlepop

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostClaudia Jean, on 25 July 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

A similar product to that clothesline is the Mrs Peggs Handy Line.

https://www.mrspeggs...ne.com.au/shop/

I've had a second hand one for 10 years or so and it's great. You'd need to weigh it down in windy conditions. They now include a hook on it where you can tie it to something heavy to hold it down. Here's a recent thread about them:
http://www.essential...hl__ mrs peggs

#74 Hollycoddle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostClaudia Jean, on 24 July 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

I'm in Melbourne! Saturday was a fabulous washing day, I did three loads.

Canberra here.  Last Thursday was awesome and my clothesline only gets about 2 hours a day winter or summer, with a breeze it's OK though.

#75 ERipley

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 25 July 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

I agree.

I was replying to one specific poster, sorry it touched a raw nerve with you.

Im sorry your situation sucks right now, that amount of washing would have pushed me to the edge when o lived down south.

Sorry, on a reread that sounded snippy. It wasn’t supposed to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.