How do you make laundry smell good?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 jayskette

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

even if there is no sun, drying outside, if you can, even for a few days, do make clothes smell better. if it is frosting overnight even better for sheets, doonas and the like.

Edited by jayskette, 25 July 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#77 MooGuru

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Just a word of caution to double check if your apartment building includes a clause about not drying any washing on balconies. My last 3 leases have stipulated this (including one where we got a warning letter to all tenants of our building for breaching strata regulations). I know 2 people who have been given official warnings by their property managers for using their balcony against the terms and conditions of their lease for drying clothes out there.

#78 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

we once had friends from the US stay with us....she had brought all the way from her home town these sachets that you put into the dryer (i think) to make your clothes smell “like they’ve been kissed by fresh air” - what epitomises the excesses of late stage capitalism more than this? a sachet that makes something smell like fresh air when you could just, YK, hang the item out in fresh air (but then where’s the market for that).

#79 seayork2002

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 25 July 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Just a word of caution to double check if your apartment building includes a clause about not drying any washing on balconies. My last 3 leases have stipulated this (including one where we got a warning letter to all tenants of our building for breaching strata regulations). I know 2 people who have been given official warnings by their property managers for using their balcony against the terms and conditions of their lease for drying clothes out there.

Depends on what the bylaws state

#80 ERipley

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 25 July 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

This is happening so often now! I get it but god, you’re supposed to be able to live. What do you do if they dryer breaks? We’re in a townhouse with no bodycorp etc so we’re ok with that stuff, but we just have no outdoor space really.

#81 Claudia Jean

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

Yeah pretty sure my lease has that clause but it's a low level 1930 apartment block and my balcony doesn't face the street so I crossed it out when I signed and nothing was said.  Those stupid rules value aesthetics over the environment and should be changed.

#82 BECZ

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:25 AM

This thread reminds me of when we bought our house and people asked me if I was excited.  As pathetic as it sounds, the thing I was most excited about was having a proper washing line in the sun that I don't have to supervise (we had lots of people in our area who had no fear of getting caught stealing) and I can leave there all day or overnight and not have to think twice about.  It seemed like such a luxury.

We had a dryer in that unit, but I only used it if it was urgent which was rare as we only had two kids and it was before they had started school plus they had heaps of clothing.  Otherwise I spent time rotating clothing on a couple of large drying racks chasing the little sun that our balcony got.  I would do all sheets in the one day so I would take them to the outside lines that nobody else used.  I know nobody else used them as I would have to clean the lines first as they were always covered in grime.

So I know where you're coming from OP and my kids weren't bed wetters either.

#83 ERipley

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

Is fabric conditioner the same as fabric softener? I seem to have a few freebies in the laundry cupboard...

#84 FeralGiggelosaurus

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Fabric softener coats the fabric and stops it absorbing at its best.....So I agree with the slimy comment.

Have you tried vinegar?

#85 Paddlepop

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostERipley, on 26 July 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

Is fabric conditioner the same as fabric softener? I seem to have a few freebies in the laundry cupboard...

Yes they're the same. Don't use it on towels or anything that needs to be absorbent. I happily use it on clothes and sheets.

#86 Riotproof

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostERipley, on 24 July 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

I’m getting about 2 hours of weak sunshine on sunny days right now. And sunny days are few.

it's a perspective issue clearly. doesn't make it null and void.

#87 ERipley

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 26 July 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

it's a perspective issue clearly. doesn't make it null and void.

I never said it did...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.