Help! How many feeds for a 7.5 month old

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Motherbear12

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

Hi 👋

I have my third bubs (DD) who is 7.5 months and we have had such a time of it breastfeeding. She has had a LOT of gut trouble and has always only snack fed, struggled with pulling off the breast crying, mucousy stools etc. Ive never been able to get her to take a bottle (or a dummy for that matter) and am currently working on a sippy cup but that’s not her fav either. I’ve been through the gammut of causes (other two kids had similar issues but varying degrees) which is not the purpose of my post, but suffice it to say that it’s suspected it’s a food chemical intolerance so have been on an elimination diet for months (under supervision of a dietician).

Anyway, since introducing solids (which she loves and I think would happily eat all day as opposed to drinking from the boob) she has struggled off and on with constipation and appears more uncomfortable again. She normally has four fairly short feeds a day plus a dreamfeed, But the last few days so she’s only taking three feeds a day (often short or split up - like today her lunch feed was three lots of 1 -2 minutes) in addition to a short Dreamfeed. I’m worried about her getting enough milk, concerned about how much her intolerances are playing a part, and so just  want to know if anyone else has a bubs this age only having 4 short feeds a day???

#2 rowd

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

My second baby fed like that at that age, but we didn't have any of the other concerns you're dealing with. Some babies do only feed for very short times. My son from around 7 months fed quickly 4 times a day and not at all overnight, so he was going 13+ hrs without a feed. I think if you're still getting lots of wet nappies, then it's fine.

If you're worried about intake, could you try introducing breastmilk into some foods? E.g. add breastmilk to porridge?

#3 MsLaurie

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

With that split feed, are you getting full let down happening? Is she coming off in frustration that it’s not ready? If so, could you pump a bit (even just a little manual pump) to get going before she starts, so she’s satisfied straight away and perhaps sticks with it a little more?

In terms of number of feeds my 6.5mo is sometimes having  5 feeds and seems to be doing fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.