Sleep & night terrors? Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teah

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

Hi mummas

So my 15month old is waking through the night at least 3+ times. It usually starts with screaming and crying, takes awhile to settle him. After the second time I usually place him in my bed but he tosses and turns and its almost like something is bothering him. I have gone back to giving him milk and water just to try settle him! Then of course he owes through is nappy and I have to change him! It's really starting to be a problem. His been doing it since he was 8months old (started teething) and it hasn't stopped, I have a 9week old and she sleeps through the night like my 3yr old but my 15month old is really testing me.

I have tried everything from teething gels, night light,Panadol, more clothes and less clothes.....I mean what else could it be?

Is it nightmares....is it something else??? It's been going on for 7months now and I'm tired!!!!

HELP

#2 Teah

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:54 AM

Also have tried the shorter nap and earlier bedtime routine, didn't make any difference. How long does your 15month old nap for ? And what time do they go to bed? Mine is down to one nap a day, I did try to go back to two naps but didn't help.

#3 Demera

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

I think you've just got a crappy sleeper and will have to ride it out.

I've got one that's worse, and the only way to survive is co-sleeping.  She's now two and in her own bed, but most nights my husband ends up sleeping with her for part or all of the night (I'm busy with the baby). Sleeping through without company at all is a very rare event for her, and she's never had a night without at least one re-settle. It's much easier to calm her down from a night-terror if we're right there to calm her before she gets really upset.  One of the kids in my mothers group is even worse than our daughter. She barely sleeps at all.

It's not unusual for us to need to feed her in the middle of the night, either milk or toast, but she keeps a dry nappy all night.

We are satisfied that we can't change her, it's just the way she is, and the best thing we can do is keep her happy and comfortable by just going with it.

#4 Teah

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I already have a three yr old in my bed and the newborn in bassinet next to me but by midnight I also have a 15month old in my bed tossing and turning for hours and crying and so on ..... It's hard haha I'm going insane. Hope it stops soon.

Apparently there's a technique for night terrors which I may try. You are meant to completely wake them 10_15min before they would usually wake screaming... Worth a shot I guess

#5 Demera

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

I hope you've got a big bed, poor thing!  Does your partner have the ability to take over the night duties of the bad sleeper so you can concentrate on the baby?  

Our oldest was still cosleeping with me until the day number two was born, (she was 22 months old).  Now it's dad's job.

Are his night terrors at regular intervals?  We've never really seen a pattern.

#6 Teah

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

My 9wk old and 3yr old both sleep through the night and my son's crying so there easy. It's really just my 15month old. My husband gets up early and has a very physical job so nights are just me, which is fine. He has said to just wake him if I need him but I don't bother. His actually sleeping in another room at the moment because our king size bed was getting crowded and his a very light sleeper.

I'm going to write down the times over the next few nights and see if similar and then maybe try the waking up technique. Fingers crossed.

I hope this ends soon .

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.