Do you tip?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Just Jack

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

Do you tip service staff etc?

A friend told me she tips the Coles delivery driver. It hadn't even occurred to me to think about doing this..

The grocery delivery drivers i have had do tend to be nice and they do deliver heavy groceries straight to my kitchen bench, which is pretty awesome.

What do you think? Do you tip in Australia? Obviously in the US it's different etc.

#2 Allegra99

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

Never. If I was going out to a really expensive restaurant I might, but haven’t done that in about 7 years!

#3 Chchgirl

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

Nope, I've never tipped living in Oz or Nz and never been asked.

I haven't travelled to anywhere such as Usa where it's expected.

#4 BadCat

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

nope

#5 ceeshell

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:11 AM

Only in restaurants.

And sometimes I drop coins into tip jars in bars and cafes.

#6 WaitForMe

Nope.

I found the whole thing very anxiety inducing for me in the US. I don't want to deal with it, I just want to pay and go, I certainly don't want to encourage it here.

#7 seayork2002

In the us yes not here

#8 JBH

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

I tip in restaurants, taxi drivers, food delivery drivers, hotel staff. I don’t tip grocery delivery drivers (usually not home), or service providers like hairdressers.

#9 Fossy

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

Never thought to tip delivery drivers etc.
Generally always tip waitstaff, not the extent of what’s expected in the USA but usually around 10%, unless the service is terrible then I don’t feel guilty about not leaving a tip.  
Most people I know leave tips at restaurants, never heard of anyone tipping the coles delivery driver though.

#10 Lunafreya

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

I once tipped a cab driver $50 because he helped us carry our flatpacks from Ikea into the garage

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

We only tip at restaurants. I don’t Tip Uber or taxis unless they have gone above and beyond (one Uber guy picked us up from a remote location and drove us 10 min to our hotel, he got a big tip) I don’t tip delivery people. It really shouldn’t be necessary in this country.

We tip in other countries. According to what’s done in that country. (And whether or not our child has just vomited in their cab, ooops)

#12 Mooples

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

The only time we tip is if we are out for dinner with a group and we all put in cash and what is collected is more than the amount on the bill. Usually we pay with card so don’t tip.

#13 amdirel

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

No, never.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

And DH tips in restaurants mostly according to the quality of the food, not the wait staff, lol. It works on the assumption that all tips are divided up at the end of the day, with the cooks. Not all restaurants work that way though. DH really likes his food, and wait staff are usually much of a muchness.

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

yes we tip at restaurants, delivery drivers, taxi drivers- and i tip my hairdresser, i don’t think dh tips his barber.

#16 threeinnyc

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

We live in the US so yes all the time, whenever we visit Oz occasionally we do esp at restaurants, driver, and hotel room maid.

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

You know, you tippers in Australia, you are ruining it for the rest of us.  Soon people will expect a tip, and will give poorer service to those that dont tip.  Dont tip!  Keep Australia tip free! dont ruin it for the rest of us.  We do not want to become the USA with a $5 minimum wage and people living off tips alone.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

but i guess we know that service staff are chronically underpaid - all those celebrity chefs who have been caught out under paying their staff....and with the cash economy creeping in to everything we do...i’m certain those uber eats guys for example are being paid a pittance. it’s not ideal, i too would prefer a realistic and decent minimum wage be enforced, correct taxes paid etc but we know that’s not the reality.

#19 Inkogneatoh

Kind of, but not. It's more telling taxi drivers and the pizza delivery driver to keep the change (which is normally only a couple of dollars).

In the case of the our usual taxi driver, he will often give a little discount as well, so it probably evens out. He'll round down to the nearest dollar, and we'll round up. In the case of pizza delivery, he's saved me from having to put my bra on and go out to collect it, so he can keep the $3.60 odd.  

If I had the same one or two helpful people delivering my groceries, probably not tip them, but I would give them some of the stuff I make at Christmas. The list of recipients includes the doctor, chiro, massage person, the regular taxi driver, cleaner, gardener etc.

View PostMooples, on 27 July 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

The only time we tip is if we are out for dinner with a group and we all put in cash and what is collected is more than the amount on the bill. Usually we pay with card so don’t tip.

I've done this too. The group shared a bunch of dishes, so we just divided the bill and everyone owed something like $18.97. We all threw in a $20. Again it wasn't much, no one missed the dollar, and it was easier for everyone including the poor staff member who would have been tasked with helping make change.

However, in a similar vein, if I'm looking for something large like a TV, I will always pay a little more for good service. For example it might be $500 in one store, but I was barely acknowledged, so I spend $550 for the exact same thing in a store that had great staff. It's a sliding sort of scale, and things like not getting service as they are busy and others were first, is totally different to not getting service as the staff are standing around talking about how trashed they got at Robbo's party on Saturday night.

#20 aluminium

Nope.
I do not tip in Australia.

When I'm in Canada and the USA, I tip 20%.

#21 AnythingGoes

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

Nope. I used to do the keep the change thing but now I hardly ever use cash.

We might at a fancy restaurant write a tip in when paying, but most of the places we eat at these days we just tap a card at register at the end of the meal.

#22 StartledFlamingo

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

I only tip for good service. Which is generally only in nicer places. I won't tip for just doing your job, only doing it well.

Having worked in hospitality I'll also ask a little about the tips before I give one. Some places the business keeps the tips, or I want it going to the wait staff particularly. In which case I'll try to have some cash I give straight to them with an indication it's just for them, not the business or the tip pool.

#23 Melbs2010

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

No.  Recent stories of wage theft aside we do not have a tips structured minimum wage in this country so there is no reason to.  If I earned more than I do and money was no issue?  Still not sure.  As a low income earner who sits behind a desk and so doesn't earn tips why would I pay extra when the person *should* be earning an award protected minimum wage?

I've lived/worked in the US.  At the time minimum incomes (depending on the state) were around $6 and hour for non-tipped roles and $2 an hour for tipped ones.  Those staff NEED those tips so I course would do so because it's how they keep a roof over their head.  But the solution to underpayment of employees by the George Calombaris' of the world is not for everyone to contribute where we expect wage theft is occurring.

Plus it seems to be only select things people tip here.  Wait stafd in restaurants, delivery drivers.  Underpayment would be rife amongst people who clean offices over a night shift as an example. No tips for them.  The focus needs to be on ensuring all vulnerable employees are being paid what they are owed not individuals tipping extra to prop up wage theft.

#24 rosie28

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

I do in countries where it is expected, and in Australia I do in nice restaurants. I don’t tip taxi drivers etc and certainly not my hairdresser, I pay $400 to have my hair done and she owns the salon so i think that’s sufficient.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:07 AM

Depends, here.  I'd love to think that wait staff were appropriately paid.  Instead of spending the system's money generating robodebts the government's money and time could be better spent making sure employers are doing the right thing.

Min 20% in Canada recently.

In Cuba, even tipped the bank teller, and the street sweeper, and the massage lady. Bizarrely the only people who didn't expect a tip were the private taxi drivers - I guess their negotiated fee covers that.

In Manila, just about everyone again, but quite variable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.