Do you tip?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 marple

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

Tip the poor pizza delivery drivers. Even if its a local  place. They are paid per delivery and use their own cars and petrol. Without tips its not worth turning up. Terrible system.
Also the "sub-contractors" who are 19 yos working in a telco store. Fair work seems to do bugger  all about anything.

#102 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

Yes...this whole -sub-contracting' issue tied into the gig economy is a crock of sh*t designed to allow employers get around responsibility to staff. I can only imagine how that will pan out in future wrt retirement savings.

#103 born.a.girl

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 30 July 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yes...this whole -sub-contracting' issue tied into the gig economy is a crock of sh*t designed to allow employers get around responsibility to staff. I can only imagine how that will pan out in future wrt retirement savings.

A while ago you used to be able to get an ABN really quickly, like a couple of minutes.

My daughter went for a job, was told she'd need an ABN, I told her that wasn't correct, she insisted it was, and that all of the other people there had one.

Okeydoke, I said, you hop online and answer the questions as to whether you're eligible for one.  Of course she wasn't for that job.   We went through and got her one because it was either that, or miss out on the job. That's the catch 22 for them.

#104 VigilantePaladin

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 27 July 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

1. It's what I'm used to

2. They're not centrally run by one corporation with a strong history of misogyny

3. The drivers might still be sitting there thinking, "Old, fat, would not bang, and doesn't seem receptive to my alt-right ranting" but at least they can't give me poor marks for it and make it harder for me to use the system in the future.
The highlighted bit? You think drivers don't talk? You think they don't communicate with the dispatch room and have a record of different regulars? Of who do try and avoid and who is on a sh*t list and not to pick up at all? Of who is a good passenger and who isn't? I can guarantee you that they do and your level of service can depend on this especially if you are a regular.

#105 IamOzgirl

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 27 July 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

The tip isn’t for the meal, it’s for the service. When I was waitressing, my American boss explained it this way: customers pay for the meal, but they tip for the service. In the US, no tip = rude customer, poor tip = poor service.

ETA I was waitressing in an upmarket restaurant in a country town in WA, not in the US.

when i worked in the US  the tips were split amongst the cooks, servers, waitress, hostess, bus boys...

#106 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:06 PM

View Postmm1981, on 30 July 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

We live in the US, so yes, I tip.  Normally 15%- 20%.  If it is exceptional service, I tip 25%.

I hate it.  In addition to the fact that tax is not included in lited prices, it gets very confussing trying to work out how much you are spending.  But I accept that this is what is done here due to minimum wage.

I never tip in Australia, except for the odd occasion where I will round up a bill in a resturant etc. Normally if we are a large group, we will end up leaving a large tip as generally most round up to the nearest $10 when splitting the bill.

As for tipping uber drivers etc.  I would not do this.  I understand that perhaps their working conditions may not see them earning a great living (however I must say one of my good friends drives for uber and is 100% happy with what he earns) but tipping I think will ultimately see their conditions further eroded.  If everyone tips, eventually I can see uber further reducing their income/ taking a larger service fee.  Drivers would be more unlikely to complain because they will recover these costs in tips.....

Basically (we plan to return to Australia), I don't want to live in a society where tipping is the normal. Like I mentioned before, I currently live in a society where it is the norm.  In addition to it been confusing to work out how much stuff actually costs before you pay, it is also quite aniexty inducing.  For example, in a hairdresser - do I just tip the person that cut my hair?  Or do I need to tip the person that washed it too?  What about if someone took over for another while washing my hair?  I say this as someone who has NEVER suffered from scoial anxiety prior to coming across these tipping situations on a regular basis....
This was me after 8 weeks in the US. I found it quite stressful. No price tag EVER gave the actual amount you paid, as taxes etc would be included at the register and it differed between towns/cities, as well as states. And the whole tipping culture was stressful as well - DH and I both thought so, partly because we were never sure exactly who to tip, when to tip and how much to tip! I am pretty sure we over-tipped for most of the holiday because we were very sensitive about under-tipping. And with the current exchange rate, that makes it quite expensive, but you don't often realise that until you get home and count up expenses.

#107 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostMurderBritches, on 31 July 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

The highlighted bit? You think drivers don't talk? You think they don't communicate with the dispatch room and have a record of different regulars? Of who do try and avoid and who is on a sh*t list and not to pick up at all? Of who is a good passenger and who isn't? I can guarantee you that they do and your level of service can depend on this especially if you are a regular.

An informal grapevine is not at all the same as a formal standardised system which feedback indicates marks women down for not being chatty, attractive and/or flirty, though, is it. Particularly given taxis operate from a variety of different companies and Ubers operate from one.

https://www.smh.com....810-p4zwrs.html

I'm not saying taxis are perfect. But I absolutely loathe the idea of rating customers, and providing service or not, on the basis of personality (where the customer has done nothing actually wrong). Rating people is a rotten idea.

#108 Hollycoddle

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 27 July 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

The tip isn’t for the meal, it’s for the service. When I was waitressing, my American boss explained it this way: customers pay for the meal, but they tip for the service. In the US, no tip = rude customer, poor tip = poor service.

Yes!  This is what I was getting at with my posts, so it's not just me who knows it to be this way.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 31 July 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#109 seayork2002

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

Although I do tip in the U.S I think the 20% if it is standard there why don't they just raise their prices by 20% and not have the tipping?

seems easier

#110 born.a.girl

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 31 July 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Yes!  This is what I was getting at with my posts, so it's not just me who knows it to be this way.

We know what you were getting at, but some of us disagree, and the fact that a number of us have also personally experienced it, and our current resident has told me exactly what happens at some places, means it's not fact, it's your understanding, but not that of many others.

#111 Hollycoddle

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 31 July 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

We know what you were getting at, but some of us disagree, and the fact that a number of us have also personally experienced it, and our current resident has told me exactly what happens at some places, means it's not fact, it's your understanding, but not that of many others.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, I'm saying that in the places where it does they're doing it wrong.  But I guess if people are aware their tip is being split and are happy for that to happen then that's all that matters.

#112 born.a.girl

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 31 July 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, I'm saying that in the places where it does they're doing it wrong.  But I guess if people are aware their tip is being split and are happy for that to happen then that's all that matters.

Except there IS no wrong. Getting stuck on what the words mean in theory is to ignore many decades of practice.

It's what was happening in my teenage job in the late 60s, before too many people were even eating out.

And it's still happening.

I can bet you any money plenty of the tips you've given have been shared, because it depends on how that place works, not how you want it to work.

#113 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 31 July 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Although I do tip in the U.S I think the 20% if it is standard there why don't they just raise their prices by 20% and not have the tipping?

seems easier
This is what I don't get either!

#114 kiwilisa

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 31 July 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

An informal grapevine is not at all the same as a formal standardised system which feedback indicates marks women down for not being chatty, attractive and/or flirty, though, is it. Particularly given taxis operate from a variety of different companies and Ubers operate from one.

View PostMurderBritches, on 31 July 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'm not saying taxis are perfect. But I absolutely loathe the idea of rating customers, and providing service or not, on the basis of personality (where the customer has done nothing actually wrong). Rating people is a rotten idea.

Are you serious?  Really?  Would you rate drivers based on the same criteria?  Why assume this is what they are doing? I personally think the rating is great...I assume drivers are more likely to pick me up because I'm not an a*s*hole and I not likely to vomit in their car or abuse them.  I think assuming the rating is based on your attractiveness says more about your own insecurities than anything else.  

What I love about Uber is the app tells them the best way to go rather than me having to constantly give directions.  And I know how  much its going to cost.  And I can get in touch them if I lose  something in the car.  And it's safer...

FWIW I tip in AU/NZ restaurants if I feel they've treated us well.  In the USA  we tip, but probably less than  expected (ie. 10-15%).

#115 Ellie bean

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

View Postkiwilisa, on 31 July 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Are you serious?  Really?  Would you rate drivers based on the same criteria?  Why assume this is what they are doing? I personally think the rating is great...I assume drivers are more likely to pick me up because I'm not an a*s*hole and I not likely to vomit in their car or abuse them.  I think assuming the rating is based on your attractiveness says more about your own insecurities than anything else.  

What I love about Uber is the app tells them the best way to go rather than me having to constantly give directions.  And I know how  much its going to cost.  And I can get in touch them if I lose  something in the car.  And it's safer...

FWIW I tip in AU/NZ restaurants if I feel they've treated us well.  In the USA  we tip, but probably less than  expected (ie. 10-15%).
There is research showing that what Jane Jetson says is exactly what’s happening
Only when rating women though so if you’re a man it’s not a problem

#116 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

i don’t use uber but my dh does...so i have often been in an uber with him, going somewhere. and the App doesn’t always tell them the best way to go. it tells them *a* way to go, so if you are equally clueless then, yeh, you’d be none the wiser. but we find ourselves giving directions to uber drivers frequently. and i’ve heard all of the “but they have to follow the directions in the app” - i don’t know whether that’s true or not, but when they’re going down a dead end street we tell them, and they have to turn around, they have no choice.

#117 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

https://www.smh.com....810-p4zwrs.html

and i don’t even think Uber is safer - not for women anyway.

i don’t want to be rated on how “chatty” i was...i tend to not talk to drivers....

#118 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

View Postkiwilisa, on 31 July 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

What a thoroughly ridiculous comment, and one which clearly ignores the many concerns expressed by many other women (in the articles linked) who have clearly not been a**holes.

There is some - and growing - evidence to support exactly what the journalist I linked to is saying, as well as strong evidence of misogyny at higher levels at the company.

If the rating was transparent - that is, you could rank down customers if they spewed in your back seat or abused you, and you could indicate such, as opposed to just mysteriously not telling people what they did wrong, with an emerging gender bias as detailed - that would be a different story.

I loathe the idea of social capital being used as currency - check out what's happening in China at the moment. Particularly when it's linked, as it very well may be, to the willingness of women to let men hit on us. And it's a major reason I won't use Uber.

I don't give a sh*t if some taxi/Uber driver thinks I'm hot or not. (I reckon I look pretty good for my age and weight, thanks, but I prefer if taxi drivers don't think I'm hot enough to flirt with, because it's completely unwelcome.) I do care if they have the ability to give women bad marks if they don't accept their flirting, or they don't think the woman is hot.

There's some interesting internalised misogyny in this argument, too. If a woman is concerned about receiving good or bad service depending on her ****ability, she must automatically be insecure? Very old anti-feminist argument, that one.

Edited by Jane Jetson, 31 July 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#119 Meepy

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

There is a flawed assumption that technology is better and not driven by user input.  Uber relies on the subjective view, which is inherently biased according to each user.  It also relies on a mapping system which has been proven to be flawed, without local knowledge.  The assumption of many that methods using new technology must automatically be better or more beneficial is flawed.  It also goes against the primary reason for most of getting into business - to make the most amount of profit from the least amount of input.

#120 MissMilla

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

I prefer Uber to taxis for safety, but i always send a screenshot of the driver profile to my husband or a friend when Im out on my own.

I didnt know it was common to rate passengers according to their looks. I would assume unless youre rude or throw up in the car or something its normal to give the highest rating.
I have been quiet, chatty, dressed up, in sloppy clothes, i have shot down flirt attempts and ive never received a bad rating. At the same time ive never rated the drivers badly except once, where we waited for ages and then he cancelled us -.-

I usually dont tip uber drivers or taxis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.