Do you tip?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#26 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

In Australia, I tip waitstaff if the service has been very good, and if it appears that the tips are not shared. I don’t tip into jars - if I’m tipping, I’m tipping the person who served me. I generally don’t tip anyone else. Overseas, it’s a different matter, and we tip according to the service provided.

#27 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

It depends.

We might talk about conditions here and how tips are not part of the structure...but I think that’s changing. The gig economy is making things damn hard for some people, and I can see more tipping in my future.

For example, companies who ‘employ’ people to deliver food have recently been very closely looked at in regard to conditions. Other situations where companies are forcing people to operate under ABNs and ‘sub-contracting’ so they can pay a minimal amount, avoid penalty rates, leave loading, super etc...and we’re not talking about professional positions here...it’s worrisome that we’re going down this path.

At the moment on the rare occasion I use a food delivery service, I tip the driver if I have some cash handy. I tip my hairdresser a couple of times a year...usually near Christmas and her birthday (she’s been cutting my hair a long time...yep, I know when her birthday is!). I also tip for exceptionally good service in restaurants.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 27 July 2019 - 10:29 AM.

#28 born.a.girl

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 27 July 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

In Australia, I tip waitstaff if the service has been very good, and if it appears that the tips are not shared. I don’t tip into jars - if I’m tipping, I’m tipping the person who served me. I generally don’t tip anyone else. Overseas, it’s a different matter, and we tip according to the service provided.

I understood any tips get shared between the staff.

#29 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

I think it depends on the establishment as to how tips are managed.

#30 Fourteenyears

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Generally not.    

My hairdresser certainly doesn’t need tipping - she and her family have more overseas holidays than mine do (we have none, they have one a year) and the hourly rate I pay is more than enough to cover a decent wage and business costs (I know, because I run my own service business).  I probably use a more expensive hairdresser than most, but it feels fair to me.

I feel uncomfortable with tipping service staff when kitchen staff oftentimes don’t get it.  I also feel the practice allows perpetrators of wage theft to continue to get away with it while the ultimate owners become very wealthy.   Because staff don’t leave them because tips take their pay up to ‘workable’.  Having said that, I will still occasionally tip when everything was exemplary or when our table was more difficult than usual.  I hope they are divided up.

And I don’t use gig economy delivery drivers (knowingly - goodness knows what conditions mail service drivers work under, but I have little control over that and cannot tip because I am not at home during deliveries) because I don’t want to participate in the exploitation there.  Everything said above about the whole scenario being structured so that employers can avoid their legal obligations - sick leave, super etc.    If I did, I would tip.  I think their working conditions are absolutely disgraceful.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 27 July 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#31 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

As a dirty commie I am dead against tipping via the US model, and dead against the idea of that model encroaching here more and more as we shift to an insecure gig economy.

I want to see people paid decent, living, reliable wages and this payment to them enforced. And if you can't afford to run a business without paying your staff properly, George Columbaris, you can't afford to be in business.

If I was actually in the US of course I'd tip, and to expected percentages, because the model there is so deliberately anti-worker that it would be unfair not to. (Here, I tip in restaurants if everyone in the group is doing so, I don't want to come over all Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs, and it makes everyone's life easier not to mess about with getting $2.60 change each or whatever.)

But I don't want to see a model here where I'm expected to tip the Uber Eats guy, for example, 25% every time because Uber Eats refuses to pay him properly. His remuneration is on Uber Eats, not on him to act as subservient as possible and hope the rest of us make up the shortfall.

#32 Lesley225

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

Not generally only when my takeaway is something like 10.80 and I just leave them with 11.

I don't like the bizarre selection of people we tip and I think they should be paid properly.

#33 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

Completely agree Jane Jetson. I try to avoid using those services at all.

The gig economy is ****ed up. I just don’t know what we can do to stop it (as evidenced by the last election result) and I tip delivery drivers out of both guilt and compassion.

#34 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 27 July 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Completely agree Jane Jetson. I try to avoid using those services at all.

The gig economy is ****ed up. I just don’t know what we can do to stop it (as evidenced by the last election result) and I tip delivery drivers out of both guilt and compassion.

same - it seems a bit mean to me to punish some poor dude on a push bike because capitalism is ****ed up. i mean i get the arguments - and i also get the “don’t order from those services then” but that just brings me back to the poor dude on the push bike - who now has no money, no gig at all...and a superfluous push bike.

#35 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

I have never heard of tipping of hairdressers. That’s the weirdest thing. Why do hairdressers get tips? Where do you draw the line once you start tipping skilled, trained, reasonably paid people? Do you tip your plumber? Physio? Podiatrist? The washing machine repairer? What makes a hairdresser of the same category as wait staff and delivery drivers?
( maybe I’m being too literal, but I’m actually curious, not snarky, although the above reads as snarky, I need a *confused* font, lol)

#36 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

I tip my hairdresser primarily because I like her and she’s been cutting my hair for a really long time. She does a great job and she runs her own business from home, so I pay substantially less than I would in a salon. I would not tip in a salon.

#37 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

I might tip a small amount at dinner, particularly if I've been part of a big group, but generally no.

#38 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 27 July 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

I have never heard of tipping of hairdressers. That’s the weirdest thing. Why do hairdressers get tips? Where do you draw the line once you start tipping skilled, trained, reasonably paid people? Do you tip your plumber? Physio? Podiatrist? The washing machine repairer? What makes a hairdresser of the same category as wait staff and delivery drivers?
( maybe I’m being too literal, but I’m actually curious, not snarky, although the above reads as snarky, I need a *confused* font, lol)

yeh i never used to. i used to go to a kind of “celebrity hairdresser” (of sorts) who i didn’t think needed tipping. he actually went subsequently went bankrupt - so maybe he did! but i think that was due to financial mismanagement and an overly aggressive expansion plan. anyway - i ended up going local on the recommendation of a neighbour and this lovely young girl did my colour - she did such an amazing job, and we were chatting and she told me some things about her life (which i won’t go into) but i just thought she was an inspiration - the owner of the salon actually cut my hair, and she processed my payment at the end - i handed over a cash tip and she actually asked “who do you want the tip to go to - M spent the most time with you” and i agreed that i wanted it to go to M because she had done such an amazing job - and i saw the owner walk over to her and give her the cash. and she looked so appreciative and i dunno - tl;dr...i tip her. it is weird though that they’re singled out - i don’t tip my lawyers or accountants. can’t think of any other service providers i use....

#39 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 27 July 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

I try to avoid using those services at all.

Same, I've never used Uber Eats (or Uber itself) on the grounds that I don't like the employment model and feel that the organisation is not what I'd call women-friendly.

I do understand the concerns about boycotts though - they tend to hurt the workers most. I mean, if it was a unionised workplace and the workers could safely strike, it'd be a different story, but that's probably something I should go post in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

As an aside, the only tip a journalist like me is ever going to get is, "Here's my bespoke conspiracy theory, why aren't you reporting on it?" I find the do-tip don't-tip thing odd. Why would I tip at a cafe but not at McDonalds? Total minefield.

#40 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

Maybe instead of tipping I can just start handing our union pamphlets and the fair work number to whoever is doing the job.

#41 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

yeh i don’t use uber - i use taxis ALOT though and yeh, i tip them. cash. ds signed us up to ubereats - but now i think of it - from memory - if you tip you have to do it online? which makes me think the delivery guy or gal won’t get it. we use various other delivery services who don’t do that though, and we give them cash. which hopefully they will pocket. i don’t know why we tip them and not the maccas guy or the checkout person at woolies - possibly because there always seems to be a manager hovering over them and they might get into trouble or in any event they certainly wouldn’t get to keep the tip. i agree it’s a minefield and in an ideal world they would be paid a fair wage.

#42 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

I’ve used Uber twice. I’ve never used UberEATS.

#43 JBH

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 27 July 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

yeh i don’t use uber - i use taxis ALOT though and yeh, i tip them. cash. ds signed us up to ubereats - but now i think of it - from memory - if you tip you have to do it online? which makes me think the delivery guy or gal won’t get it. we use various other delivery services who don’t do that though, and we give them cash. which hopefully they will pocket. i don’t know why we tip them and not the maccas guy or the checkout person at woolies - possibly because there always seems to be a manager hovering over them and they might get into trouble or in any event they certainly wouldn’t get to keep the tip. i agree it’s a minefield and in an ideal world they would be paid a fair wage.

There is an Uber online tipping system, but on the odd occasion I get UberEATS I ignore it and hand over cash. My preference is only to get delivery from restaurants who use employed delivery drivers, but I am a deeply flawed human being and like Vietnamese food from a restaurant on UberEATS. A cash tip seems better than not tipping out of some sort of moral imperative that I suspect would be better served by avoiding the system.

#44 Cimbom

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Why do people use cabs but not Uber? Cab drivers get pretty low wages as well. Most of the money goes to the plate owners.

Edited by Cimbom, 27 July 2019 - 12:43 PM.

#45 Expelliarmus

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

I don’t because I basically don’t know how. I tried to tip the dominos guy once and it became very awkward. I did get used to tipping a bit in Fiji but I have no idea if I was tipping an appropriate amount or it was wildly off! I hope I was being generous!

Edited by Expelliarmus, 27 July 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#46 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

Lol no, this ain't America.

#47 No Drama Please

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

Only delivery drivers if it’s cold or rainy.

#48 wilding

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:11 PM

Nope. I don't.

#49 Ayr

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

No I don't.

#50 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

i use taxis over uber mainly because i find them  more convenient - when ever i want a taxi i just hail one....dh uses uber and it always seems a palaver to get them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.