Fast800 - Michael Mosley

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#26 Burro

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

Wow. Those results are impressive. Well done all. I’m sold. I want to lose 10kg so would be delighted to achieve 5 in a month.

How are you all doing it?

Did you pay $175 for the online membership or just bought the two books? Or just one book? No books?

My issue will be finding the time to cook every night, especially if it’s seperate dinners to everyone else. I will be looking for convenience food I can buy or bulk recipes I can freeze.

Does anyone meal deliver the fast 800?

What shall I have for breakfast? Two eggs?

#27 PizzaSteve

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

I just bought the book and went from there. As I also do 16:8 I have my first meal for lunch, then a snack of an apple and cheese if needed, then dinner. I have been eating a lot of kale slaw from Coles/WW!

Good luck, and keep in mind most people will look at you like you are crazy and/or deluded for doing this (definitely been my experience!)

#28 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostBurro, on 24 August 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Wow. Those results are impressive. Well done all. I’m sold. I want to lose 10kg so would be delighted to achieve 5 in a month.

How are you all doing it?

Did you pay $175 for the online membership or just bought the two books? Or just one book? No books?

My issue will be finding the time to cook every night, especially if it’s seperate dinners to everyone else. I will be looking for convenience food I can buy or bulk recipes I can freeze.

Does anyone meal deliver the fast 800?

What shall I have for breakfast? Two eggs?

I paid for the online program at $175. It gives you a meal plan and shopping list. You can update the plan and it will update your list. I do this and print it once a week.

The recipes are simple and yum. Several I have made as family meals.

Michael won’t apologize for saying a key part of the program is preparing your food yourself, either on the day or in advance. There are definitely left over options so I often have one recipe I use for 2 days.

I run 2 businesses, have 2 young kids, a terminally ill family member and it really hasn’t been a big time commitment. Maybe because I’m 100% committed I don’t know but I’ve personally found it quite manageable. Helped by the fact that I’m not dying to eat my own arm while I cook dinner like I used to be.

Breakfast I often do yoghurt and blueberries. Or omlette. Or eggs and spinach and tomato. One day there was banana pancakes which was a nice change. Apple and peanut butter is a nice quick easy one too.

The type of calories counts a lot on this plan so if you can’t stretch for the program do stretch for the book. I purchased the book about 2-3 weeks in and it was good too.

The recipe plan helped me realise I wasn’t consuming enough good fat in my previous eating regime and I’m convinced it’s a key to the results.

#29 blimkybill

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

I used this approach to lose weight earlier this year.  I lost 12.5kg in the 12 weeks, and reversed my type 2 diabetes in the process.  I achieved that by April and have maintained since then.
My way of doing it was to combine with 16:8 fasting, so I ate 2 meals a day, and for me they were slightly larger meals so I ate about 1000 cal a day. Used lots of food ideas from Michael Moseley's books.
The difference for me between this and previous attempts at weight loss was I felt much less hungry and much less miserable. And my blood sugar levels responded really quickly, and that helped weight loss.
I can't bring myself to do full keto because I think there's too many animal products and not enough fibre. But Michael Moseley's approach is easier for a semi vegetarian and seems healthier.

#30 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

Well done blimkybill! Reversing your T2 diabetes is such a reward. I’m sure the weight loss is a nice bonus too!

I 100% agree with your comments on Keto which is why I’d never given it a go. I love all the science behind what Michael is doing.

#31 Obvs

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

You’ve all inspired me. A friend and I are signing up together. Both of us want to lose 10kg. Currently can’t wear 3/4 of my work wardrobe so the $175 sign up fee will save me from having to buy more clothes.

#32 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:47 PM

Good for you Obvs! Signing up with a friend sounds like a great idea.

#33 fluffybun

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

Well done to all of you! I’ve just started reading the book and I’m so motivated to get started in September! If I buy the recipe book does it have meal plans in it? I’m not a huge fan of eggs or fish so I guess I’m just going to have to learn to enjoy them! I have 35-40kgs to lose so I’m hoping to be as successful as all of you!

#34 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

I don’t have the recipe book fluffy bun sorry, so I’m not sure on the meal plan. I hope someone knows.

#35 blimkybill

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

View Postfluffybun, on 24 August 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Well done to all of you! I’ve just started reading the book and I’m so motivated to get started in September! If I buy the recipe book does it have meal plans in it? I’m not a huge fan of eggs or fish so I guess I’m just going to have to learn to enjoy them! I have 35-40kgs to lose so I’m hoping to be as successful as all of you!
There are meal plans but you really don't have to follow them. You don't have to eat eggs or fish if you don't like them. You just find the style of meal which works for you.  I ate a lot of salads with protein of my choice. For breakfast yoghurt is an option if you don't want eggs.

#36 fluffybun

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

View Postblimkybill, on 24 August 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

There are meal plans but you really don't have to follow them. You don't have to eat eggs or fish if you don't like them. You just find the style of meal which works for you.  I ate a lot of salads with protein of my choice. For breakfast yoghurt is an option if you don't want eggs.

Thank you I’ve finished reading the book this afternoon and the recipes included looked pretty good and I could modify the fish ones with chicken

Is balsamic vinegar ok to use for salad dressing?

I’m thinking the way to go for me will be similar to you big salad and some protein

#37 Caribou

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

I’ve been following quietly. If you need recipe options and the fast800 is too exxy, you know the concept of how it works, taste website has some good looking fast800 recipes.

Edited by Caribou, 24 August 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#38 NastyGal

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I've just ordered the book, am looking forward to getting starting and getting rid of this weight. I lost 25 kilos a few years ago with calorie restriction and exercise, but they've all managed to find me again! So my goal is to lose 25 kgs (again! - grrrrr). Processed carbs are my downfall, so I'm hopeful this way of eating will make a big difference.

I didn't buy the recipe book, hoping to get by without it. Checked out the Taste recipes, thanks PP, they look good. Are there any recipes in the Fast 800 book itself?

#39 Obvs

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

Officially start the online program tomorrow. About to stock up from the shopping list. Feeling very motivated but also slightly trepidatious about work loss of cooking for me plus the kids (single parent). Will just have to be super organised.

#40 SplashingRainbows

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

Good luck Obvs.

Mozzarella chicken is a family fave here. I just add brown rice for the non fasters. Hopefully you find a few family meals as you go along.

#41 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostNastyGal, on 01 September 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

I've just ordered the book, am looking forward to getting starting and getting rid of this weight. I lost 25 kilos a few years ago with calorie restriction and exercise, but they've all managed to find me again! So my goal is to lose 25 kgs (again! - grrrrr). Processed carbs are my downfall, so I'm hopeful this way of eating will make a big difference.

I didn't buy the recipe book, hoping to get by without it. Checked out the Taste recipes, thanks PP, they look good. Are there any recipes in the Fast 800 book itself?

There are some recipes in the back of the Fast 800 book itself.  The cookbook would make life easier but is not essential.

#42 Ozquoll

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

I need to shift a few kilos after breaking my toe and stuffing my face with junk food the last month or so 🤭. I thought I would save money by buying the Fast800 book at Target...but somehow a new dress and a new top also came home with me, so it was an expensive 'saving'! 🙃

Anyhoo, the recipes in the book look good, and easily achievable. I kicked things off with a high-protein lunch, although not one from the book: lettuce cups with tuna, topped with homemade coleslaw with tahini dressing. By my rough calculation it would have been over 20gms protein and fewer than 350 calories. I could definitely enjoy eating that for lunch several times a week.

Edited by Ozquoll, 02 September 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#43 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

I started on Saturday and am down 500 grams Monday morning.  I'm pleased with that as one of the meds I am on makes it hard to lose weight (and easy to gain).

#44 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

I thought maybe we could share some of our quick easy go to’s for people interested but not able to get the book or recipes? Feel free to contribute. Here are some of mine

Breakfast:
100g full fat Greek yoghurt and half a punnet of blueberries

Apple with tablespoon of 100% nuts peanut butter (program recommends cottage cheese but I can’t bring myself to eat it)

2 fried eggs with mushrooms and greens (spinach leaves, kale, zucchini etc - whatever’s around that can go in the fry pan). Don’t forget the reasonable serving of olive oil. 1/2tbs at least.

Omlette with half slice full fat cheese and approved veges

I’m trying to mix it up regularly so my body gets different nutrients but also is kept guessing a bit.

#45 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

Lunch:
95g can Tuna in oil with spinach leaves, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion if you like it. If I have calories for the day I may pop in a small amount of cheese of some type.

Various soups - there are green soups, broccoli soups and mushroom soups in the plan. You can probably find recipes online checking for compliant ingredients.

I find if I have the above for 4-5 days a week I can use their recipes for the other couple without too much additional work.

#46 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

Dinner:

Salmon on the bbq with zucchini is yum. Love bbq zucchini. Broccolini and asparagus bbq well too. Sometimes I have all 3! Very quick after dinner meal too and I can bbq other meat & veg for the fam if they’re not having salmon with me.

Try and get your hands on the mozzarella chicken dinner. My husband and kids love it so it becomes a one pan meal.

Chicken thigh wrapped in prosciutto is yum. I trim the fat from the thigh and just have one small one with green veges. It’s an easy meals as it bakes with minimal prep so I can do other things in the 30 minutes.

Omlette can be a quick easy dinner if you haven’t had eggs for a day or two.

Grilled chicken and salad - remember to add fat in some format for satiety - small amount of avo, or cheese or olive oil dressing etc.

Baked capsicum cups (capsicum halves filled with a milk/egg/vegetable mixture). Should be able to find recipes online.

Looking forward to seeing other people’s ideas.

#47 Ozquoll

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

Well, I've been on the Fast800 for 24 hours and while I don't feel hungry exactly I AM thinking about food a lot. And have epic brain fog. Have upped water intake as suggested upthread but not sure it's helping. On the positive side, my intake of fruit and veg has gone up enormously 🙂.

Recipe idea

A loose suggestion for a lovely low calorie salad is a mix of the following - you really do need the watermelon and the feta, but the rest can be based on what you have available or enjoy eating:
Watermelon (bite sized chunks)
Feta (any will work, but the stuff in oil is best)
Iceberg lettuce
Mango
Cucumber
Pistachios or almonds
Balsamic vinegar
Oil (might as well use the oil from the feta 😃)

Mix and match from the above. Obviously don't use large amounts of the feta or nuts! If you need to bulk it out to make a family dinner, a torn up roast chook is a nice addition.

Edited by Ozquoll, 03 September 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#48 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

That sounds like a lovely salad ozquoll. I know you’re just getting started so wanted to let you know mangos and watermelon are on the avoid list for the low carb Mediterranean style diet recommended for the Fast800 plan.

This list might be helpful for people who don’t have the books or web subscription:
https://thefast800.c...ean-style-diet/

I know it might seem strict to remove all sugars, even natural ones, I am pretty sure it is a key part of keeping the blood sugars level and not feeling excessively hungry.

#49 Ozquoll

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

^^^
Oh bother, you're quite right! I'm going to blame the afore-mentioned brain fog 🤦
It is indeed a very tasty salad, and I have been thinking about it (and other food 😟) all day...

#50 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

Oh poor you!

Some green veges with salt and a bit of butter might help? Personally I found the butter indulgent (but I love veges) and the salt helpful.

Also panadol for a few days if you need it. No need to be a marty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.