What is the realistic lifespan of a MacBook?

49 replies to this topic

#26 Dadto2

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

If anything the macs are over-engineered. Milled from a solid block of aluminium, whereas all other computers are milled from a solid block of cheap plastic!

#27 .Jerry.

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

My 4 year old macbook's battery life is low.  Plus there is something wrong with the processor too.  Lags are huge.

Will take it in sometime, but I agree I wouldn't buy a 5 year old macbook.

#28 Caribou

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

View Post.Jerry., on 29 July 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

My 4 year old macbook's battery life is low.  Plus there is something wrong with the processor too.  Lags are huge.

Will take it in sometime, but I agree I wouldn't buy a 5 year old macbook.

Have you taken it into a Apple store? I'm reasonable confident they can fix these issues for you. I was happy to replace the battery because it really did save me a couple thousand vs $189.

#29 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

View PostMoneypenny2014, on 28 July 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Incidentally does anyone know how much a new screen for a MacBook costs (roughly?). I’ve never heard of a screen breaking on a HP but it seems that they’re fragile on the Macs from what I’ve heard
DS has had two HP screens break. Neither DD or I have had an apple screen break. Might be how he treats them ... but probably not.

My Macbook Pro still goes fine for all that I use it for (internet and Office). I bought it 11 years ago! I have bought myself a Windows laptop also, but that is for work and around software issues.

#30 Ayr

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

I have two HP and two macbooks, never had a screen break on either. And these aren't my first laptops, haven't broken a screen on any of them in my life. Then again never broken a phone screen either and I'm the only person I know IRL that hasn't.

#31 FEdeRAL

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

OP you can also get refurbished MBP from online Apple store for a few hundred dollars less. These are all latest models that customers return for whatever reasons - with disc cleaned and reinstalled and checked,”. Comes with 1 year Apple warranty (2 years in Australia under consumers law)

#32 FiveAus

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

My MacBook Pro's have lasted me in excess of 6 years, I've upgraded and then sold on the old ones for a decent price.
My daughter is still using, and loving, one of the old MacBooks in the white plastic cases.

The one and only Windows laptop we had in the house, a not overly cheap Asus, ended up in the bin after 18 months.

#33 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

View PostDadto2, on 29 July 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Put it this way, I work at a uni, laptops have a 3 year life cycle, the Macbooks go to auction and are sold for $500+, the Dell laptops either go to charity or go in the bin. After 3 years, they are virtually worthless. Macs hold their value.

Hahaha your uni must have a massive IT budget. When DH worked for a huge  international IT equipment company, he thought himself lucky if he got a laptop thst was 3 years old.  In fact staff would have dibs on people's laptops if they were newer than theirs if someone was leaving.

#34 FEdeRAL

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

I would not recommend using MacBook Air for professional graphic programs. You would need a quad core processor found in MacBook Pros to handle programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator.

#35 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

View PostDadto2, on 29 July 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

If anything the macs are over-engineered. Milled from a solid block of aluminium, whereas all other computers are milled from a solid block of cheap plastic!

Depends a bit on which series of Dells you have. The Lattitudes do hold up to a bit of abuse more than the Inspirons :p
But yes I agree with you the Macs are a lot better made.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for a 5yo one though!  Id go the refurbished option as mentioned above.

#36 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

View PostAyr, on 29 July 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

I have two HP and two macbooks, never had a screen break on either. And these aren't my first laptops, haven't broken a screen on any of them in my life. Then again never broken a phone screen either and I'm the only person I know IRL that hasn't.

Whats the secret to not breaking phones! Please tell me!!!!

#37 Ayr

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

For me it's been cheap $2 gel cases off ebay. I drop my phones on all sorts of things: wood floors, roads, tiles, etc. Not often but i do drop them occasionally. Never broken one yet. Only ever keep them in cheap gel cases.

#38 Caribou

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

yea, I have a phone case too, those ones with the rubber lining on the outside on the rim, so if my kids or myself drop the phone, the rubber rim gets it and no damage done to the screen.

#39 dadwasathome

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 29 July 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Buy a good case straight off. Screen protector helps too.

#40 Riotproof

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

I suspect it’s not dropping them.

Banging, not knocking on wood here.

#41 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

Im the idiot who dropped a new phone while shopping for a screen protector a couple of years ago!!

Next time I will order screen protector and case online so I have them ready before the phone arrives.

#42 Dadto2

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 29 July 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

Depends a bit on which series of Dells you have. The Lattitudes do hold up to a bit of abuse more than the Inspirons :p
But yes I agree with you the Macs are a lot better made.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for a 5yo one though!  Id go the refurbished option as mentioned above.

yeah some of the high end Dells we get at work are pretty good. The quality has improved in the last few years.

Otterbox Defender

#43 dadwasathome

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

An otterbox will almost guarantee - I have one for my work phone. I have a Bellroy which is much neater and has protected my personal phone for over 18 months.

#44 Drat

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

I bought my last macbook new for $800.. so I wouldn't pay $750 for a 5 year old one.

I am sold on them though. The quality is great and lasts forever. We have an Imac that is close to maybe 8 years old? Still works perfectly

#45 lazycritter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostDadto2, on 29 July 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

All other laptops? Not true inn my house My 10 year old asus is built like a brick with metal hinges etcetera.  It still works but the OS isn't supported any more.

It's been dropped several times and it won't die.

#46 Dadto2

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

View Postlazycritter, on 30 July 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

All other laptops? Not true inn my house My 10 year old asus is built like a brick with metal hinges etcetera.  It still works but the OS isn't supported any more.

It's been dropped several times and it won't die.

yeah you do get some well built PC laptops e.g Asus, IBM. A lot of the cheaper ones don't use metal hinges and the screens go all floppy. I wonder how much money they save using a plastic hinge instead of a metal hinge - 5c?

Edited by Dadto2, 30 July 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#47 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:03 PM

I have a "Lifeproof" case on my phone. Screen broke when it dropped off the table the other day. I am talented like that.

#48 *holdontight*

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

My MacBook is over 5yrs old & still running perfectly, I love too that even though its so old if I have an issue I can get on the phone to Apple & they'll walk me through anything I need. I do feel I'm going to start running into compatibility issues with programs but that's more because I'm still old school, so just need to change how I work with it.

I wouldn't buy one this old myself but I do think they're very worth the investment,  I'll never go back to a windows based unit unless something dramatic happens to change my opinion.

#49 JRA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

My macbook air is 2014 made. It is going strong.
Latest software everything running perfectly all day everyday

I would question what quality the battery is though. I think I have replaced the battery once.

#50 FiveAus

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

I've never broken a phone screen either. My daughters make up for it, they've broken every phone they've ever owned, multiple times.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.