Sleepover - catering for GF guests

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 decisionsdecisions

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

My DD9 is desperate for a sleepover for her upcoming birthday which I am more than happy to have except for one possible stumbling block which is 3 of the 6 guests are gluten free (two diagnosed coeliac).

I will need to provide dinner plus breakfast and I am a bit stumped.  The last thing I want to do is make any guests unwell but at the same time also need to cater to the tastes of the non-GF kids preferably without having to cook 2 separate dishes each time if possible.

We have a very popular street full of restaurants and cafes a 2 minute walk away with multiple options for dining out all of which would have gluten free options on the menu.

Any suggestions for dinner/breakfast or should I take the easy option of having dinner & breakfast out (and therefore a sleep-over activity?)

Snacks aren't a concern as there are many snack type foods I know they are happy to eat from the many times they have visited our house .

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

I would see if you can ask the GF parents for ideas.

#3 decisionsdecisions

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 29 July 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

I would see if you can ask the GF parents for ideas.

Have done so. Mostly happy to eat plain rice for breakfast, rice and veggies for dinner.  Was trying to think outside the square for a party!

#4 melbun

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

Bacon & eggs?  Baked eggs?  You can buy GF bread from most supermarkets.  Yoghurt and fresh fruit?  Pancakes or savoury muffins made with gf flour?

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

Gluten free cereal is great especially if you jazz it up with yogurt and fresh/defrosted berries. Aldi has this week a heap of gluten free mixes onsale so you could do pancakes. Just do gluten free for everyone.

#6 too tired to care

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:16 AM

i would also ask the parents, what the girls eat. My guess is that the girls will possibly bring some food to help you out.

It might be easier to just do gluten free so you don't have to cook two meals and then you are less likely to have issue of contamination.
Most meals, even pasta can be gluten free, so you are not really restricted that much. i'm sure the coeliacs on here could help you adjust any menu you create.

depends on your menu but i have given a few ideas below. party food-  their are a lot of chips and chocolate that is gluten free, some lollies too.
you can buy gf. sausage rolls, pies, chicken nuggets.
most ham and Frankfurt are also gf.

Re - main meals, meat and veg, salads, chicken stirfrys, noodle dishes if done with rice noodles , many asian sauces and tacos are also gf. you will need to check or get parents to confirm which ones best. sushi also good option

Re breakfast - bacon, eggs, pancakes made from GF flour , you can even buy gf crumpets, and english muffins

Edited by too tired to care, 29 July 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:16 AM

I have no experience of this but I thought is there gluten free pancakes?

#8 klr75

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

what about making own pizzas - get GF pizza/pita bases and different types of toppings and everyone can make their own pizza.  Breakfast stick with a fry up, bacon, eggs, sausages, mushies, baked beans.  Most supermarkets sell GF bread

#9 wallofdodo

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

For dinner have Spaghetti bolognese, just use GF pasta for everyone.

With regards to toast etc, I would be concerned about cross contamination, with spreads, toaster, butter etc.

Pancakes are probably a good idea, you can buy the mix, or just make yourself with GF flour.

Careful with things like bacon, it also needs to be GF.

#10 Dadto2

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

Loads of GF options. Woolies have a good selection of GF cereal. GF bread is generally sh*t, but toasted it's OK. Woolies also do GF pizzas as well as GF soft tacos/fajita kits. Just get mince loads of veggies, make some guacamole, and they also sell GF tortilla chips for dipping.

#11 zenkitty

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

GF cereal or pancakes for breakfast, with fruit
GF pizza for dinner (check toppings with parents)
GF lollies, chocolate, chips, ice cream for party snacks

If everyone has GF for the sleepover period you don’t need to worry too much about them accidentally eating the wrong thing.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

There's so many things you can have gluten free for snacks etc, popcorn, cheezels, rice crackers, dip etc.

Main meals what about nachos or something?

I have a GF friend and whenever I do things with her, I just make sure everything on the menu is GF, its easier that way as the risk of cross contamination is too great.

#13 Jenflea

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

Thai for dinner?
Rice or rice noodles, braised meat and veggies. Our local ones  cater for GF.
Buckwheat pancakes for breakfast.

#14 WTF_SM3

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

View Postklr75, on 29 July 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

what about making own pizzas - get GF pizza/pita bases and different types of toppings and everyone can make their own pizza.  Breakfast stick with a fry up, bacon, eggs, sausages, mushies, baked beans.  Most supermarkets sell GF bread

Id go this. If you do get gluten free bread you can't toast it in your toaster, not for coeliacs, though could put under grill.  And would need new unused butter.

I use gluten free corn Tortillas to make individual pizzas.  Works well and they're yum.  I'd keep it all gluten free, so there's no cross contamination risk.

Edited by WTF_SM3, 29 July 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#15 theboys2

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

just make sure for pizzas you check the cheese.

A friend of ours is GF ceoliac and he said not all grated cheese is okay for him cuz some companies use flour to prevent the cheese from clumping together.

We always buy block cheese for him at our place (we do nachos with GF corn chips a lot for dinner with him and his kids.)

#16 mylittlemen

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Mum of a coeliac here.

Easiest is make your own pizza using a pre bought GF base from Coles or Woolies. I use the Leggos pizza sauce sachets then whatever they like with cheese on top. For the GF, I’d only use prepackaged GF labelled meats not deli meats which can be cross contaminated.

Pancakes are easy too - one cup of SR GF flour, one cup
Milk, one egg makes about 5 pancakes. Cover in Nutella, maple syrup, berries or whatever they like. Bacon and eggs works but again, avoid deli bacon and buy it prepackaged and labelled GF.

Most smiths crisps are labelled GF on the back. Pascals marshmallows, most Trolli brand lollies, flakes, twirls are good junk food options that all can eat.

For toast, you’d need to used toaster bags from the Reject shop for the coeliacs to use your toaster.

#17 mylittlemen

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

And if you are making some GF pizzas and some normal, just keep them separated. Don’t use the same spoons to spread the sauce, different part of the benchtop to prep etc. Cook the GF ones on the top shelf of the oven with any others underneath.

#18 JBH

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

For breakfast, I would get one of the specifically gluten free brands of cocoa bombs or similar for everyone. It’s definitely party food and little chance of cross contamination.

Pizzas would work well for dinner if you put baking paper on trays and use GF bases and take care with toppings. Alternatively you could make fried rice in a very clean pan using cooked rice, eggs, vegetables, chicken and GF tamari.

#19 wilding

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

View Postdecisionsdecisions, on 29 July 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Have done so. Mostly happy to eat plain rice for breakfast, rice and veggies for dinner.  Was trying to think outside the square for a party!

Others have given some good suggestions, but this comment made me chuckle and brings back memories of when my son was little and went to stay with friends. Enjoy :)

Edited by wilding, 29 July 2019 - 11:34 AM.

#20 molinero

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

GF pancake shake mix from the supermarket actually doesn't taste too bad and makes for a yummy breakfast treat.

GF options have gotten a lot better over the last 15 years or so.

#21 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:29 PM

My friend with a child who is GF recommends potato gems or plain frozen chips. You do need to check ingredients but there are a number that are safe. They also like sushi for parties, crisps, fruit and vanilla ice cream or GF lamingtons.

If offering sauce, butter or jam you would want to buy brand new so there is no contamination from breadcrumbs.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 29 July 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#22 Crooked Frame

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

(My credentials: I'm coeliac)

Tacos for dinner- mince with GF taco seasoning, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, chopped tomatoes, hard taco shells.

Pancakes for breakfast- a couple jugs of GF pancake mix, yoghurt, chopped fruit, maple syrup.

Much easier and far smaller chance of cross contamination if the meals are GF for everyone.

Edited by Crooked Frame, 29 July 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#23 Majeix

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

I think you have great suggestions. I wouldn’t have the budget to eat out for those meals. However, if I did I would probably take it and consider it the equivalent of when I pay to have a party at a play centre so they organise food and mess...

#24 Schmig

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

Also mum to a coeliac DD10.

Mine unfortunately hates GF bread and pizza bases.

She has suggested:
GF popcorn (not prepackaged for a snack- good for movie night)
Smiths crisps (GF)
Pancakes or GF crumpets for breakfast. Prepackaged from the supermarket and are yummy(be aware not to use butter /spreads you have already been using with gluten bread as crumbs get in the jars) Also remember those toaster bags or you need to toast on baking paper on a grill
For dinner meatballs and GF pasta
Tacos are also good but check the seasoning if you don't make your own as sometimes not GF

To be honest as a parent of a coeliac I would usually provide breakfast food myself and ask if they need me to bring any other food for my child for the sleepover. It is always easier than having a friend's parent feeling concerned about what to give her or my child feeling unwell after eating gluten.

Edited by Schmig, 29 July 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Anemonefish

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

You already have heaps of great suggestions. Just wanted to add that Indian food is another easy option that everyone can eat. E.g. rice, curry made with a ready-made curry paste and papadams. Also, the Macro (Woolies brand) GF flour is good - we substitute regular flour with it for cakes, cookies and pancakes and they usually turn out just as good.

DD has one close friend who is coeliac and another who is anaphylactic to egg and most nuts. This year she has become close to a friend who has a dairy allergy, and another with a nut allergy. And my kids and I are vegetarian!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.