When will it get easier having 2 kids?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 bluesilk

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

Oh, I feel ya. When they're around 3 and 5 it gets noticeably easier. They ratio of playing to fighting improves remarkably and they can do more things for themselves (or one another). Hang in there. The days are long, but the years are short.

#27 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:21 PM

When they move out!!

I gets better for a while then worse again as they get older.

And to all the people saying a third makes it better.... **** off it does, it just adds more crap!!

#28 EmmDasher

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:21 PM

I have 3 and 5. It is mostly good. 3 is still a bit of a painful age but having the 5 year old around does temper it somewhat. My 5 year old should be knighted for her patience and expert management of her sister in a crisis. Watching her implement all the reverse psychology and parenting strategies that we used on her at the same age is both hilarious and a tiny bit terrifying to behold.

#29 knottygirl

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

I found 2 easier once I had 3 and looked back and reflected on my time with just 2 😂

#30 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:34 PM

For us it improved when youngest hit 18 months - maybe there's a change in the air coming soon!

#31 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:39 AM

Oh OP!  I remember my elderly neighbour telling me that these were the best years of my life when DD1 and DS were that age and I felt it was the meanest thing anyone had ever said to me!  It had been a particularly challenging morning the day she said it.   It really does get easier - for us, by the time DS was 2 we even felt ready to go back for our third as life was settling into a much more manageable pattern.  

Those years when DD1 and DS were so young were the most exhausting I’ve ever experienced, but I now understand what my neighbour meant.  It felt endless at the time but we have moved on so much since then, and sometimes I find myself wishing for just one more day when my kids were so little.   Hang in there OP, it will definitely get better.

#32 little lion

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:47 AM

I found things easier from when they were about 3.5 and 5.5. Toddlers are hard work!

#33 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:04 AM

My youngest two have a similar gap and I remember 2 years ago I felt much the same. They both needed me so much and wanted to be held all the time, they would get emotional when I was giving the other one my attention. It was very draining.

My youngest is 3.5 now and it is much easier, they are little besties now and can play together for longer periods without needing my intervention. They can resolve some conflicts between the two of them without my help, which is such a nice milestone to reach.

#34 Chazonator

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

I ask myself this everyday and I have 4 kids!
I have three at school and one at home and I actually find it more challenging with only the one at home compared to when they're all at home. They fight and carry on but then they find games to play so whilst that's happening I can get dinner sorted etc.
It does get easier once they're at school or even kinder but then the attitude starts.
I think in the end each age presents a challenge you get through one things settle then another challenge happens.

#35 Hands Up

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

My kids are just turned five and about to turn four and I swear it’s getting worse, not better. Arghhhhh

#36 Ellie bean

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

Mine were 12 months apart and I found things have improved continually from day one! It was hell, Luke absolutely horrible, then a bit less hellish, I can’t remember when it happened exactly (I think around 4?) but now at 6 and 7 it’s pretty fantastic. You will get there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.