Maths tutor for yr 4 (kind of spin off)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chicken Pie

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

A thread about tutoring made me want to ask how common is it (and helpful) to have a maths tutor for year 4?

Edited by Chicken Pie, 28 August 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#2 QuirkyMum

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Most kids in my son's class (year 4, huge public school, high in ratings, good area in Sydney North, most from non English speaking background) either have tutors (15 year olds in the library or proper teacher) or regularly attend tutoring college. This is both for English and maths.
So overall level is high.
It isn't easy to find a good tutor.
Compared to writing, maths is easy.
I bought a book "How To Be Good at Maths
By: DK Australia"  and let my son read a page/chapter/everything on the topic, ask him questions then we go through it together, then I'll get him to do everything we have in Kumon books on the subject (trick is to start from the easiest pages on the subject and work your way to the hardest). For example, if subject is long division, then he will start with super easy multiplication, then harder, then easy division, then a bit harder and then will get to what he meant to practice. Yes it will take 3 weeks of 5 pages of maths daily, but it definitely boost confidence and will feel eeeasyyy(that what my son says)...
I'd love to find my son a good tutor ( and happy to pay a lot for an experienced teacher) and have been trying to find someone for two years but I simply cant find any qualified, experienced teachers that could come to our place weekdays before or after school. ( I need someone experienced because child is gifted AND has special needs) Can anyone recommend a tutor to help structure his writing in upper North shore?

#3 waawa17

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

And for contrast, my experience of two median public primary schools in Perth is that I've only ever known one family who did any tutoring (that was Kumon).

Are you remediating a specific problem? What was the outcome of a teacher conference? Or are you just not happy with your child meeting age expectations? It's pretty common for bright kids to get Cs in primary school, in my experience, so I never put much store by the marks.

#4 Chicken Pie

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

thanks

Edited by Chicken Pie, 28 August 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#5 Magratte

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

A lot of kids in our school (huge, public) have tutors. I am trying to resist, but we may consider in the future.

#6 mayahlb

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:40 AM

We've used tutors on and off since my child was in yr 1. Mainly for English (he is dyslexic and has dysgraphia and a language delay on top of that just for fun). If you think she needs support then I would find a tutor for her. If there is an issue like dyscalculia I would look for a tutor who is either a qualified teacher work as a tutor or one through SPELD in your state. SPELD often provide tutoring support not just for dyslexia etc but for dyscalculia as well as if comes under the same umbrella of learning difficulties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.