Naps for a 16month old?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Teah

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

My DS has one nap during the day and it can be anywhere from 2-3hrs...curious to know what other mums and 16month Olds are doing?

Thinking of cutting his nap to 1hr so I can maybe get a better sleep at night and maybe his night terrors will stop....

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

How many hours sleep is he getting overall? 2-3 hours of naps (1-2 naps a day) is very normal for that age. My 20mo DS will nap 2 hours at daycare or 1 hour at home, and (well used to before a recent sleep disruption) 12 hours overnight.

#3 Teah

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

2-3hrs during the day and at night it will depend but he usually has 1-2 night terrors which take 10_15min and then most of the night he tosses and turns and grizzles and is just not getting a good sleep until around 3am when I can see his finally in a deep sleep!! I'm exhausted and I'm willing to try anything. I did try cutting day nap 2monyhs ago and I didn't really do anything but thinking to try again or if anyone has anything I haven't tried,.....

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

Do you have a sleep school phone support in your state (like Ngala in WA)? I just phoned them yesterday after a really bad run of sleep and they were so helpful. I implemented the changes they suggested and last night was the best night’s sleep in weeks.

#5 Future-self

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

2-3 hours is highly normal. But You could try waking him at the end of a sleep cycle to shorten it - 45 mins  is usual sleep cycle length for that age I believe - so give a 90 minute nap during the day and then see how the night goes.

Who diagnosed the night terrors? I'm not a huge expert but having multiple ones a  night is unusual I thought? As is an infant experiencing them? Just to rule out if perhaps there's another physical cause to else disrupting his sleep overnight.

#6 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

Yes actually, have you had his ears checked? Night time screaming and disturbed sleep is very common with ear infections. In fact it was the only symptom of my DS’s recent infections. I felt a bit silly going to the GP about it, but my instinct was correct (previous infection presented the same but I didn’t pick up on it until he was much sicker).

#7 Teah

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

I thought maybe ear infection, but doctor has checked them a couple times now. I should ask again. I never mentioned the night terrors to gp. I self diagnosed. He has had 3 colds in 3months so maybe the gp is missing it.

If it was an ear infection though wouldn't he be showing signs during the day??

I will try cutting his nap a little tomorrow and see how we go.

#8 afterlaughter

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Night terrors are often caused by overtiredness. I’m not sure reducing the nap at just 16 months would be what I try first. I would bring bedtime forward slightly, longer wind down period. Maybe move nap a little earlier in day so good length of time between end of nap and bedtime.

#9 rubyskye

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

View Postafterlaughter, on 30 July 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

Night terrors are often caused by overtiredness. I’m not sure reducing the nap at just 16 months would be what I try first. I would bring bedtime forward slightly, longer wind down period. Maybe move nap a little earlier in day so good length of time between end of nap and bedtime.

I agree :)

#10 Apageintime

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

View Postafterlaughter, on 30 July 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

Agreed.

#11 tinselfoil hat

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

What times does his night sleep start/end and what time are the night terrors? I’d probably look at more sleep not less if there’s night terrors

#12 mandala

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

With the night terrors - a common approach for diagnosed night terrors is to gently wake your child before the night terror starts and then let them resettle themselves. The idea is that the night terror is an incomplete waking between sleep cycles, and disrupting that can help avoid the night terror.

I do also agree that what you're describing doesn't sound 100% like night terrors, and in any case more sleep is a better idea for most sleep disturbances, rather than less.

If there isn't a sleep school help line, most states have a maternal and child health or a parenting line that can help with expert advice.

I'm also a bit concerned about your sleep - when does he go down to sleep? When do you get to sleep? How much are you getting in total? Even with a couple of short wake ups, is there any way you can get more sleep?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.