Laundry solutions - drying racks / heated towel racks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ckmelb

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Looking for advice for efficient laundry / drying solutions

I have a mid-sized laundry that I am considering having some drying racks built into on the spare wall. I was thinking a heated towel rack in the middle of the wall, then at at the top a railing (possibly pull out) where I could hang dresses/shirts. Hopefully the heated towel rack would help also dry the hanging clothes if it wasn't over crowded? I could also probably squeeze a dehumidifier in there to help dry quicker.

Anything else anyone can think of? I really want a drying closet like they have in Europe, but I can't find any good advice about how to have one built (safely).

Background is I live in a townhouse with very little outdoor space for drying. I also live in Melbourne so rain is a pain. I don't like clothes dryers for various reasons (scared of fire, wear and tear, energy usage). At the moment I dry my clothes in my north facing living room on a big drying rack. Very efficient but an eyesore...

#2 Etta

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

A house I once lived in had a rack on the laundry ceiling - it had a pulley system to raise and lower it. The hot water service was in the laundry (it was an external laundry) so it was warm near the ceiling and the washing dried really well.

#3 can'tstayaway

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

I had a heated towel rack (electric) and it dried some damp towels a little too much so the cotton towels were left with a permanent crease. I wouldn’t dry clothes on them after seeing that. The hydronic ones are more gentle.

I have used a dehumidifier in a small room with airing racks and they dried the clothes really well. I had one similar to this but an older version https://www.applianc...ifier-dds25  It was good because I could wheel it around and it was big/powerful enough that it didn’t need to be right under the clothes.  The only thing I wished for was to have a laundry big enough that I could set it up in there with a hose for the water direct to the sink.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

We have a hanging rail above the laundry bench. The upper cupboards overhang so you cannot see the rail.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

I find our heated towel rail dries our towels in the bathroom wonderfully. I have actually thought about covering our entire laundry wall in heated towel rails to allow me to hang stuff from them whenever I need to. Unfortunately we don’t really have the room, and I’d need an electrician to put some plugs in. I’m in Melbourne too.

I think it’s a good idea OP. Get a very big, very tall towel rail though, like floor to ceiling height, maybe 2 side by side, because they dry best where they contact the fabric. You need lots of rails.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 31 July 2019 - 01:10 PM.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

Have you looked into a drying cabinet appliance? I have had heated towel rails and they are not designed to do what you want. They dry/ warm just the towel sitting on them. I had a tiny bathroom and they did nothing to heat the air around them. They are just a low bar heater, not even as powerful as a radiant bar heater.

Edited to add- here's an Asko cabinet for $2500 from E and S Trading eho are not at all cheap. You might be able to find it cheaper.
https://www.eands.co...dc7774_1004971/

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle, 31 July 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#7 QuirkyMum

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:10 PM

OP, instead of squeezing in a dehumidifier, install one!
Google "dehumidifier" or something like "mold solutions"-to get rid of the mold, tiny dehumidifiers are installed in wardrobes. There are bigger ones (they will install a fan and unit itself) for room size walk in robes which is probably comparable in size to your laundry. These units are energy efficient and it costs a few cents a day to run the fan 24/7.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

What about this heated airer?  Will it fit in your laundry? It can go against a wall. It has a cover to keep the hot air in. Looks pretty good.

https://www.amazon.c...tag=customid-21

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 31 July 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#9 ckmelb

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Noted that some heated towel rails are great, and others not so much. I think I will buy one for my bathroom (which I need anyway) and trial it out before going all out in the laundry. I would have space for 2 rails in the corner of the laundry

Lemon Myrtle - you don't recall by any chance which brand of towel rack you have? Reading reviews it seems there is quite a difference in quality. I'm also slightly fascinated by those heated airers. Only issue is the ones that ship to AU literally have zero reviews. Might have to keep looking.

Quirky Mum - I didn't realise I could install a dehumidifier. That's definitely something I will look into also for my bathroom also as I have no external windows

Kiwi Bicycle - I went to look at that drying cupboard last weekend but they didn't have them in store, so I am a bit hesitant since there aren't many reviews around either

Looks like there are definitely some good options here

#10 molinero

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

just check the energy requirements of the heated towel rail and figure out how often you intend to use it. With constant use, it may not be that different in terms of energy consumption compared to a using a traditional clothes dryer every now and then.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

View Postckmelb, on 31 July 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Noted that some heated towel rails are great, and others not so much. I think I will buy one for my bathroom (which I need anyway) and trial it out before going all out in the laundry. I would have space for 2 rails in the corner of the laundry

Lemon Myrtle - you don't recall by any chance which brand of towel rack you have? Reading reviews it seems there is quite a difference in quality. I'm also slightly fascinated by those heated airers. Only issue is the ones that ship to AU literally have zero reviews. Might have to keep looking.

Quirky Mum - I didn't realise I could install a dehumidifier. That's definitely something I will look into also for my bathroom also as I have no external windows

Kiwi Bicycle - I went to look at that drying cupboard last weekend but they didn't have them in store, so I am a bit hesitant since there aren't many reviews around either

Looks like there are definitely some good options here

Ours was just from Kogan, and I can’t find it now. I only picked it because it had the dimensions and cord location we needed. So it wasn’t anything special. This is our second winter with it, it’s on almost all the time. Haven’t noticed increased electricity bill or anything. It’s not a super hot one. Just enough to dry the towels between uses

#12 ckmelb

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

Update!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. What I ended up doing was the following:

In the laundry, I got a wall mounted dehumidifier that is connected into the sink so it self drains. I bought the De Longhi which was the only one that seemed to be wall mounted.

I then purchased the Algot system from Ikea and created 2 drying racks. One directly above the washing machine that just has rails for hangers (for shirts etc) and one of that is basically floor to ceiling that has 3 drying racks (but I think there is room for a 4th) where I can hang like a traditional washing line or standalone drying rack.

In the bathroom, I purchased a 9 rail heated towel rack from Bunnings (still to be installed) and also put another Algot system above a dead space in a corner that has 1 drying rack and 2 shelves for towels and 2 baskets for dirty clothes.

Lastly, I purchased a retractable clothes line from Bunnings for the covered balcony for the few Melbourne days it will be warm enough to actually dry clothes without direct sunlight.

So I think I have sorted out the laundry drying situation (which is important with a baby on the way) and really appreciated everyone's input.

I have pics but they are too large to upload so I have attached an link to the Algot IKEA system that gives you the general idea of what I did for anyone interested in laundry :)

https://www.realesta...-laundry-needs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.