DS6 won’t wipe own bottom

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 funnygirls

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

Has anyone had their kids refusing to wipe their own bottom. My DS6 still gets me to wipe his bottom and manages to only do number 2’s at home so I can wipe his bottom. When I talk to him about wiping his own bottom, he screws up his face and says it’s yucky.

Any tips to encourage him are welcome.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

My eldest was like this. Eventually I just told him I wasn’t going to wipe his bottom and he’d have to sit there until he did it himself. There were a few epic hour long sitting sessions, but eventually he accepted that I wasn’t going to cave in and he did it himself.

#3 Gumbette

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

DS was the same last yr. At 7 he now he wipes although if I’m home he does ask me to do a quick check.  We gave him a reward every time he wiped himself (some iPad time or a small ice block), and it appears to have worked.

#4 Kaz83

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:37 AM

My DD4 was like this and when we asked her why she wouldnt wipe she said she didnt want to get poo on her fingers. So we bought her some wipes and she is now happy enough to wipe with them.

#5 harryhoo

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:56 AM

My DS has just started at 7.5. When he was 4 i once thoight he'd finished and pulled his undies up (we were travelling overseas and i was rushing). Anyway, he got some poo in his undies and after that he refused to wipe his own bottom incase there was still poo. For a while i was getting him to wipe as nd then i'd wipe. Now i get him to wipe twice and then I check for him.

#6 Ayr

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:32 AM

My daughter is almost 8 and won't. I'd rather she did but it's not a big deal. Like my Dr has said over the years about various things: it won't be forever like you won't be still doing it when she's 18 for example.

Some things I've just had to allow until she grows out of them.

#7 Noodlez

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

My DS was the same I think he was around 7 almost 8 when he finally stopped calling out ‘Daddy wipe my bum please’

#8 countrychic29

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

I told my DD when you turn 6 you need to do it yourself - and she does however she has actually blocked our septic pipes with the amount of wipes she does! (she turned 6 a month ago!!)

Be careful what you wish for hey?

She does have some intolerances which can give her runny number 2s so i may still help occasionally

#9 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 30 July 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

My eldest was like this. Eventually I just told him I wasn’t going to wipe his bottom and he’d have to sit there until he did it himself. There were a few epic hour long sitting sessions, but eventually he accepted that I wasn’t going to cave in and he did it himself.

We had similar. I even had to watch them wipe and double check their wiping but eventually we got there. Hang in there.

#10 annodam

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostAyr, on 31 July 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

My daughter is almost 8 and won't. I'd rather she did but it's not a big deal. Like my Dr has said over the years about various things: it won't be forever like you won't be still doing it when she's 18 for example.

Some things I've just had to allow until she grows out of them.

Yes but do you realise some 8yos go on 3 day Camp at some schools, what happens then?  
They hold on for 3 days?  That’s not healthy!
Surely you wouldn’t be expecting the Staff to wipe a child’s ass after a crap?

#11 JomoMum

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

DS, now 5.5, found the transition to wiping himself really difficult. We worked on it over last summer before he started school in feb. He struggled getting the toilet paper in his hand the right way, and negotiating genitals in the way.

We moved to him back to using wet wipes himself at home. He finds it much easier to use just one, and fold it one or two times and get a clean bottom. It’s also less abrasive on his bottom - he has a recurring fissure that sometimes flares up when he’s a bit rough with the wiping, or has a firm stool.
We have a small bin next to the toilet, and haven’t had any issues with him flushing them.

It gave him the confidence to try at least. He does do it at school occasionally, I can tell as he doesn’t quite get a clean bottom, but at least he started trying.

#12 Ayr

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

View Postannodam, on 31 July 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yes but do you realise some 8yos go on 3 day Camp at some schools, what happens then?  
They hold on for 3 days?  That’s not healthy!
Surely you wouldn’t be expecting the Staff to wipe a child’s ass after a crap?

At both schools my kids have attended they don't go on a camp until year 5 so that's a non issue for me.

#13 Etta

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 31 July 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

We have a small bin next to the toilet, and haven’t had any issues with him flushing them.

Glad to hear that you have a bin handy. Some people think these are flushable - something to do with the 'flushable' written on the pack!

#14 JomoMum

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

View PostEtta, on 31 July 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Glad to hear that you have a bin handy. Some people think these are flushable - something to do with the 'flushable' written on the pack!

Thankfully he’s the kind of kid who sticks quite strictly to the rules, so it definitely works in our favour here. I empty it every 2-3 days and it’s always been adequately filled. Mind you, be still announces very loudly every time he needs to poo lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.