ICAS in Y2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 just thought

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

If your school participates in ICAS tests - are they available for Y2 students? Thanks

#2 just thought

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

I would like to introduce my kid to another evaluation format than the routine school assessments; and independently check and encourage his progress in his learning - but our school having ICAS for years 3-6 says it is unable to do it for year 2 students. Cannot understand why is it so, are there any regulations about it etc.

#3 ali-song

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

Yes, our school offers it for year 2.

#4 Chelara

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Our school did not offer ICAS at all this year. In the past they only offered from years 3 onward.

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

I have booked my son in to do some of the tests in Year 2. He was only allowed to enrol in some of them though.

#6 just thought

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

Thank you for the answers. So there is full range of experiences. Does anyone know if we are able to register for ICAS outside of school not being homeschooled?

#7 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

Our school offers it from grade 3. ICAS didn't offer grade 2 tests until a few years ago. Some schools haven't changed their schedules. I really wanted my grade 2 to sit the tests last year. The co-ordinator declined - said that they preferred kids do it after they have had the chance to get familiar with NAPLAN.
So I met with the principal and explained my reasons and he approved. DS did really well and got distinctions for both.

If the school don't approve, your child can't do it.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 31 July 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#8 barrington

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

No, available from Grade 3 only.  I have no issues with that, the very small number of students who would sit it in grade 2 would not give you any indication how they are going, since the rankings are based on the 'top 10%'.

#9 EPZ

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:43 PM

Grade 2 one was available last year, for the first time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.