When are the naplan results out ?

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#26 Tyrannosaurus

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:07 PM

Sorry I was given wrong link . Disregard it.

Edited by Tyrannosaurus, 27 August 2019 - 11:15 PM.

#27 Riotproof

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

That article says 2018.

#28 Sincerely

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

Just curious - for parents in NSW, with the level of interest in NAPLAN literacy & numeracy results, are you aware that VALID science assessment of Yr 8 (which are compulsory for all public schools and optional for private but with a high rate of participation) are conducted next month and that assessments of Yrs 6 & 10 (which are optional) are conducted next week?

Edited by Sincerely, 27 August 2019 - 11:45 PM.

#29 Tyrannosaurus

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Here is todays naplan link 2019 results released.

https://www.theeduca...released/265794

#30 Tyrannosaurus

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostSincerely, on 27 August 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

Just curious - for parents in NSW, with the level of interest in NAPLAN literacy & numeracy results, are you aware that VALID science assessment of Yr 8 (which are compulsory for all public schools and optional for private but with a high rate of participation) are conducted next month and that assessments of Yrs 6 & 10 (which are optional) are conducted next week?

No i didnt know and i am sure most of us dont know.
How do you get this information of what assessments are given and what type?

#31 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

I think it’s just fantastic that the media has been able to report on these results when our school, and I therefore assume others, hasn’t received any data yet. Just wonderful. *sarcasm font*

Also I question the validity of an acting state Education Minister who lists a Year 1 phonics screening test (with no required follow up either supported or invested in by the government - it’s a screening test only!) and breakfast programs as investing in improving our education.

Breakfast programs.

You know who supplies breakfast club at my site? Outside agency run by three volunteers. Who actually cooks the toast and pours the milk?

Me.

On a yard duty. As part of regular school events. That the government is claiming they are supplying breakfast programs is erroneous. The further claim that it’s directly impacting improvement in student learning has no validity.

#32 Sincerely

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

View PostTyrannosaurus, on 28 August 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

No i didnt know and i am sure most of us dont know.
How do you get this information of what assessments are given and what type?

Parents should be able to find most of the information on NESA, BOSTES or NSW Govt Education websites, but often need to know what to search for or spend time looking around their websites.

I had no idea that there was a statewide science assessment similar to the nationwide NAPLAN until DD1 sat the ESSA in 2011 (it has been around for nearly 20 years). I totally forgot about it until DS brought home his results at the beginning of this year (it has been renamed VALID). Mind you, though I highly value academia, I don't really care much about NAPLAN results (nor prepare the kids) because I look upon it as a wide scale assessment intended to inform where resources should be allocated and not so much about individual student achievement, but since there are parents on this forum who are keen to know NAPLAN results, I thought I'd give the heads up that the VALID assessments are about to be administered.

Edited by Sincerely, 28 August 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#33 Abernathy

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

So when do parents get their kids’ results in Vic?

#34 casime

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

Also I question the validity of an acting state Education Minister who lists a Year 1 phonics screening test (with no required follow up either supported or invested in by the government - it’s a screening test only!) and breakfast programs as investing in improving our education.

I hate the government trying to take credit for things they have nothing to do with.  Ours only runs because the bread is donated by Coles, and the condiments purchased by parents and teachers.  It is staffed by parent volunteers.  I think the only thing it does is encourage parents to drop their kids off even earlier than usual and then expect them to be supervised in the playground.

#35 Prancer is coming

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

Just read the link, thanks Tyran.

Why does there always need to be an improvement?   I would expect the results for grade 5 students to be much the same as last year.  You are always going to get cohorts at a school that might be higher or lower than others, but on a whole you would expect a similar average.  And if you look at the bell curve, there are always going to be people who will not meet minimum standards and it is not necessarily a reflection of quality of teaching at a school.

#36 Jenflea

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Casime ours runs pretty much the same way and yes the number of kids who line up for breakfast is astounding. You never see nearly as many kids in the quad on non breakfast days.

A friend feeds her kid at home and he still gets a piece or 2 of white toast on the way up to class.

#37 EPZ

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

Here we go again..... Naplan disappointments in the news.

Naplan for high school, no gains.  

Primary improved, but couldn’t it just be a different group of kids performing better?

(Didn’t want to start another thread)

#38 But seriously

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Anyone got results yet?

#39 amberlee

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

My children brought theirs home today (Qld State School)

#40 Sky15

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

We r in nsw.....no results yet!

#41 Sky15

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:02 PM

I guess kids n their parents take naplan n other external exams more seriously during primary school  as they are just starting out , full of energy and enthusiasm....these exams help the parents find out where there kids stand over all....but over the years   the pressure of studies increases n kids might lose interest n even parents realise they can push their kids to a certain point only....hence the drop in performance I guess.. it doesn't mean they hv become less intelligent...

#42 Sky15

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:06 PM

I guess kids n their parents take naplan n other external exams more seriously during primary school  as they are just starting out , full of energy and enthusiasm....these exams help the parents find out where there kids stand over all....but over the years   the pressure of studies increases n kids might lose interest n even parents realise they can push their kids to a certain point only....hence the drop in performance I guess.. it doesn't mean they hv become less intelligent...

#43 **Xena**

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:50 PM

Surely a drop was to be expected anyway given the technical issues many schools had. Lots of schools (including my children's schools) didnt bother with a resit.

#44 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:27 AM

Some high school students deliberately throw the test as well.

#45 Gumbette

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:37 AM

^ sorry if I’m being dense, but why?

#46 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

A lot of people think Naplan is a waste of time so I suspect they buy into it and decide not to do it properly. They might just colour all the a multiple choice or write a page saying Naplan is rubbish or even a persuasive text that is about how dumb Naplan is. That will score quite low on the writing rubric because it’s off task.

So that could impact the drop in performance particularly at Year 9.

#47 Sincerely

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

In NSW, it recently became a requirement to achieve at least Band 8 in all sections of NAPLAN to get the HSC. If a student didn't achieve it in Yr 9, they would have to resit in Yrs 10-12, until they achieved Band 8, so only those who don't intend to do the HSC would throw their NAPLAN in Yr 9.

Personally, I think making the attainment of Band 8 results compulsory is a bit silly for any student who takes any of the HSC maths subject levels, which are all more difficult than NAPLAN. English is compulsory for HSC and performing well enough to give their HSC any value should be sufficient demonstration of Band 8 level of competency for literacy. Perhaps the new rule was simply to force students to take NAPLAN more seriously.

#48 Julie3Girls

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostSincerely, on 03 September 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

In NSW, it recently became a requirement to achieve at least Band 8 in all sections of NAPLAN to get the HSC. If a student didn't achieve it in Yr 9, they would have to resit in Yrs 10-12, until they achieved Band 8, so only those who don't intend to do the HSC would throw their NAPLAN in Yr 9.

Personally, I think making the attainment of Band 8 results compulsory is a bit silly for any student who takes any of the HSC maths subject levels, which are all more difficult than NAPLAN. English is compulsory for HSC and performing well enough to give their HSC any value should be sufficient demonstration of Band 8 level of competency for literacy. Perhaps the new rule was simply to force students to take NAPLAN more seriously.
This only lasted for one year. No longer true.

Starting in yr 10, students now sit online minimum standards tests for numeracy and literacy. Completely separate from naplan.  Naplan results no longer make them exempt from these tests.  They have multiple opportunities to pass these

#49 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostSincerely, on 03 September 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

Achieving a Band 8 in NAPLAN simply made them exempt from further literacy and numeracy testing. Students never had to have a Band 8 in NAPLAN to get their HSC. They had to meet the minimum literacy and numeracy standards and one way of doing so was to achieve a Band 8 in NAPLAN. The other way was sitting the Online Literacy and Numeracy tests in Years 10, 11 or 12. The hilarious thing is now all NSW kids are sitting those tests...regardless of how well they have demonstrated their ability through NAPLAN.

NSW lost the plot over that one.

#50 mayahlb

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

^^^ they did din't they? It didn't matter how many people I explained it to, you know how WA has had this system in place for a while, it was all about NAPLAN, and how if you didn't pass you couldn't get your HSC :rolleyes: Now all the kids have to do additional testing, rather then getting exempted due to a test they already have done.

Friends in QLD have their results. My kids haven't gotten their's yet. Though my big kid only did the numeracy one because he had an anxiety attack over the thought of doing the English one... and then wrote a story in class about how scary NAPLAN was, so yeah we exempted him. (Between the dyslexia, dysgraphia and language issues, it's not like it would be a helpful thing anyway).

Edited by mayahlb, 03 September 2019 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.