alcohol at junior sport

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Poll: alcohol at junior sport (323 member(s) have cast votes)

Is there any place for BYO alcohol at a junior sport break-up

1. Yes (143 votes [44.27%])

Percentage of vote: 44.27%

2. No (180 votes [55.73%])

Percentage of vote: 55.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 August 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Thank god the cask hadn't been invented in my impressionable years.  We stuck with the highbrow bottles of Blue Nun, Cold Duck & Mateus Rose.

ETA: Just looked up when it was invented, which was mid sixties, but it certainly wasn't a feature of my late teens, early twenties parties.  Must have taken a while to become mainstream.

What's Mateus Rose like?  I bought some from Costco, possibly for the bottle?  I can't remember. Regardless, I haven't tried it yet.

I've never heard of Blue Nun and Cold Duck either.

#177 born.a.girl

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostWTFJerk, on 12 August 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

What's Mateus Rose like?  I bought some from Costco, possibly for the bottle?  I can't remember. Regardless, I haven't tried it yet.

I've never heard of Blue Nun and Cold Duck either.

I would hope the latter two would not be available!

Funnily enough, we had a bottle of Mateus Rose recently.  Husband's brother gave it to him as a birthday gift. Given the relationship, we're not really in a position to ask if it was a joke, or serious.

Put it this way, I've had worse, especially pub house wine stuff. I wouldn't ever buy it though, but some of that is because my preference is heavy reds. Would prefer a cheap rough red over a better quality pinot any day.

Speaking of the bottle, it was almost compulsory for cafes to have empty Mateus Rose bottles with either some cottage flowers, but more likely dried flowers in them perched around.

Edited by born.a.girl, 12 August 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#178 seayork2002

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

I think you can still get Mateus Rose bit not sure about the cane basket it cam in, Blue Nun is still available in supermarkets int eh UK (well last time I looked) but note sure here.

I used to be partial to a Black Tower and although I still consider myself cheap these days not sure I could drink it any more

I was an expert in blowing the cask inserts up and playing football with them.

But I won't say this too loud as I don't want anyone to think of me as less than classy but Oh how I miss me old Passion Pop.

#179 dadwasathome

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

Blue Nun, and reisling in general ended with a bad rap in the 1970s/80s. Blue Nun is still available in Australia in a range of varieties and is a serviceable commercial wine, in the same that Mateus rose is.

But yuck to Cold Duck. Stick with good sparkling shiraz!

#180 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

i actually like the dry rieslings that come out of (mainly) the Adelaide hills - like Pikes or Petaluma - i prefer them to sav blancs - which i’m kind of over. these rieslings are more like a pinot grigio or sancerre - they’re not at all sweet. and i may be coming round to chardonnay again....

#181 Crombek

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Tas rieslings are the absolute bomb.

#182 seayork2002

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

I have been sticking to Chardonnay because it is one flavour and not too sweet, we tried a Sav Blanc (I think) and it seemed to have about 10 different flavours,

It is hard to explain what I mean but I like strong dry white - my favorite at the moment is Two Churches not sure who makes it though

#183 hills mum bec

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 12 August 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

i actually like the dry rieslings that come out of (mainly) the Adelaide hills - like Pikes or Petaluma - i prefer them to sav blancs - which i’m kind of over. these rieslings are more like a pinot grigio or sancerre - they’re not at all sweet. and i may be coming round to chardonnay again....

Riesling is my wine of choice, Pikes is my favourite.  I think Riesling got a very bad rep from the 70's & 80's but it is making a comeback.  I used to be a Sav Blanc drinker but after getting into Riesling I don't like the taste of Sav Blanc at all anymore.

#184 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

I can’t do dry wines.  I had an Iced Riesling  from Tassie a few years back and it was devine.  And sadly out of my price range for regular consumption.

#185 dadwasathome

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 12 August 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

I bought a nice reisling from the NSW southern highlands the other week - but agree Clare Valley or Adelaide Hills generally. For me Pewsey Vale has a been an easy go-to for ages, but is getting exxy. Looking forward to warmer weather. Reisling has been massively underrated, and is my favourite dry white - and sticky white when it comes down to it!

#186 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 09 August 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Good god - fruity leg opener.  Who invented that vile brew?
:rofl: I've heard it called many things but never that

View PostHolidayromp, on 10 August 2019 - 05:28 AM, said:

It’s worse.

It’s like like Passion pop left to go flat then heated in the high noon sun, drained through a seven day old tramping sock and decanted into a goon.
Best description ever

View Post28 Barbary Lane, on 10 August 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

Haha I didn’t grow up here but it sounds like quite the party!
It was great, till the next day or sometimes just a few hours later lol

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 10 August 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

And then whoever needs it (has passed out) gets the empty goon bag blown up to use as a pillow.

Then once someone passed out you get a hand full of flour and ditch it at their head :ninja:
Messy messy messy sh*t

Did anyone ever get sambucca essence? Now that provided some evil messy nights but damn it was cheap

#187 purplekitty

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 09 August 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

No it’s a cask, still very sweet White. https://www.firstcho...hcaAnGHEALw_wcB

You'll be surprised to know it also comes in bottles.

#188 Hollycoddle

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 12 August 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

Did anyone ever get sambucca essence? Now that provided some evil messy nights but damn it was cheap

Our group went through a phase where we would make up myriad essences of all different types of drinks.  Yes, much cheaper than the real thing but gross :(

#189 kimasa

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

My very early 20s was my midori and pineapple juice phase.

The thought of that now just makes me shudder.

#190 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 13 August 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Our group went through a phase where we would make up myriad essences of all different types of drinks.  Yes, much cheaper than the real thing but gross Posted Image

Oh yeah it's scarred me for life, I'm shocked any of us survived

#191 Riotproof

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 12 August 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

You'll be surprised to know it also comes in bottles.

My parents were clearly not so classy. Only ever casks at our house.

#192 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 13 August 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Our group went through a phase where we would make up myriad essences of all different types of drinks.  Yes, much cheaper than the real thing but gross :(

Late 90s 1st & 2nd year uni students making our own drinks in our dry hostel.  I’m pretty sure condensed milk was involved.

#193 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 02 August 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

i have questions.

(sorry - I’m old and uncool).

so they have the vodka in the squeezy pouches, and then are going to the bathroom with their partner and using  the condom for the purpose for which it is intended? or - are they also putting vodka in condoms? i’m hoping they are not putting yoghurt in condoms , ‘cause, yeh...

:rofl:

thankyou!

Edited by Chaotic Pogo, 13 August 2019 - 05:17 PM.

#194 kimasa

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

Anyone else grow up with a cask of lambrusco in the fridge?
Mum and Nanna used to mix it with lemonade. Who am I saying used to, they still mix wine with lemonade.

Edited by kimasa, 13 August 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#195 Sentient Puddle

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

View Postkimasa, on 13 August 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Anyone else grow up with a cask of lambrusco in the fridge?
Mum and Nanna used to mix it with lemonade. Who am I saying used to, they still mix wine with lemonade.

My Mum still drinks it with ice.

#196 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

dh has a fond recollection of us hosting his mum and her cousin - they both lived in country nsw but were staying with us while they were in sydney to “see a show” - he had prepared in advance and bought a bottle of sherry (we aren’t sherry drinkers) he offered one to his mums cousin - i had dusted off MY grandmothers quaint little sherry glasses - so he went to pour it into that, she pointed to his schooner glass and said “just give it to me in one of those - your arm will get tired constantly filling up that little glass....” oh-kay then.

#197 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Parents are frequent wine drinkers, respectably so (ok, not my dad). My mother once said “I’ve never been drunk in all her life.” I snorted up my lemonade as I clearly recall getting her p*ssed on CSC using tiny wine tasting cups and having another round each time another person arrived and joined in.

#198 No Drama Please

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

Did you guys get Purple Death? It was cheap as even for uni students. Here’s the label, pretty fair description at least lol:

http://thewinewank.b...-death.html?m=1

#199 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

View Post28 Barbary Lane, on 17 August 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Did you guys get Purple Death? It was cheap as even for uni students. Here’s the label, pretty fair description at least lol:

http://thewinewank.b...-death.html?m=1

I thought that was going to be a reference to BlackBerry Nip...now there's a memory I don't need to revisit

#200 Moukmouk

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

Powdered port. Mixed with almost pure alcohol. So very very bad.
University was fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.