Milk supply tips

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jasperaliyana2729

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Going to have my 3rd baby in March.
Breastfed the other 2 for 8 weeks but milk dropped both times. How do you keep you supply up?

#2 blimkybill

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

The biggest tip is to feed really frquently. Feed whenever baby is hungry, not to a schedule. It's also fine, and good, to feed from a relatively empty breast, this will stimulate supply.Also, feed overnight at least once. If your baby isn't waking overnight,  you can do a dream feed.
The second tip is get someone like a lactation consultant to check that your baby has a good latch and effective suck.
There are lots of other things to consider,  but these are my top two.

#3 Pink Flamingo

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

As above and Lactation cookies really boosted my supply when I needed it. You can find heaps of recipes by googling.
Good luck!

#4 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Lactation cookies, lots of protein and water!!!! I also had hydralyte if I felt a bit dehydrated

#5 Ivy Ivy

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

Feed frequently, lactation cookies, and a horrid lactation tea I let cool and sculled three times a day, full of fennel and yucky herbs, ick.  And adequate rest and calories for yourself.

#6 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

Drink a lot of water, like ridiculous amounts. I always had a large glass before and after each feed, as well as at other times.

#7 Apageintime

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

I would make an appointment with an international board certified lactation consultant to understand what happened last time.

And read up about normal infant behaviour. There is a time about 8 weeks where babies feed ALL THE TIME. And its not about your supply but about them growing and needing the extra connection.

#8 Goldenash

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

I agree with
Feed until empty
Feed regularly
Feed overnight
Lots and lots of water
Oats. They are a main ingredient of lactation cookies. But if you are a porridge fan then have that for breakfast.

#9 Lou-bags

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostApageintime, on 02 August 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

I would make an appointment with an international board certified lactation consultant to understand what happened last time.

And read up about normal infant behaviour. There is a time about 8 weeks where babies feed ALL THE TIME. And its not about your supply but about them growing and needing the extra connection.

This. And also- some time around that 8 week mark milk becomes more driven by demand rather than hormones and so women will commonly experience that their breasts no longer feel full and engorged, and can start to worry about their supply as a result.

Familiarize yourself with signs that baby is getting enough milk (frequency of feeds is not one, for example, but number of wet nappies etc is), and perhaps consider joining your local ABA group meetups so you can get advice and support from trained counselors and support from other mums.

Best of luck!!

#10 400

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostGoldenash, on 02 August 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

I agree with
Feed until empty
Feed regularly
Feed overnight
Lots and lots of water
Oats. They are a main ingredient of lactation cookies. But if you are a porridge fan then have that for breakfast.

Agree on all of these!

I was drinking 6-8 litres of water a day. I felt like I was always weeing too but if I had less I would feel empty and thirsty!

Other tips I can add that may help:
-hand express colostrum after 37 weeks unless you are not allowed to, can really get things going
-pump after feeding, even if nothing comes out, to stimulate prolactin. Especially at 2am.
-don’t go more than 3-4 hours between feeds or pumps until you get a good milk supply
-oats oats oats oats oats

#11 Babetty

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

Just wanted to agree with lots of water! I would usually fill up a 750ml water bottle before a feed, and drink most or all of it while feeding.

If you can eat dairy - eat plenty! I craved it and it's good for calcium and protein. I'd drink Milo, keep individual serves of custard in the fridge, eat a Vegemite and cheese sandwich for lunch (one handed while feeding). I needed to eat way more food in the first few months of exclusive BF than I did when pregnant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.