So... we adopted a cat...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

Expect lots of stupid questions from me as it’s been a long time since I owned one.

What kind of food is best for a young cat? The people at the shelter said they got dried whiskers in the morning and wet food at night, so he’d be seriously happy with anything we get. I’m sure I used to get a fancy one from the pet food store for my other cat, but I think it might have been because he had plaque or something.

Thoughts?

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

CONGRATULATIONS:  purry days ahead.

The shelter are likely to be using whichever half decent food they get donated, or can buy heavily discounted.  That's just my assumption.

My understanding is that the supermarket foods are really not up to par in terms of nutrition and salt levels, but that's me believing what I'm told.

We do use some Whiskas, but just for a bit of variety.  Otherwise it's Hills science diet for the dog and all three cats.

If the cat is under a year old, it's best to use kitten food as it contains more of what they need.  Not that it stops our three all nicking each other's food.

We use Budget pet supplies online - orders always here very quickly, and they often have great specials.

I've just realised I shouldn't have proffered this info without a photo first, which are our usual conditions on these threads.

#3 smilinggirl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

We adopted a kitten a few months ago. He is on kitten dry food three times a day from a pet food shop. I am not brand loyal. I figure I like variety in my life so the cat gets a different brand each time he goes through a bag. Occasionally I give him fresh roast chicken breast but not too often as he was a bit obsessed in the beginning with trying to pinch our food!

Enjoy your cat, we haven’t looked back since getting ours and our only child who is 7 loves having a playmate!

#4 Jenflea

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

I too adopted a cat this week!

I'm feeding him a variety of Hills Science food, and other kitten food from the pet store.

He's also getting raw meat when I cook it for us. So if I cook steak, he gets a few pieces, or a bit of chicken to nibble on.

He's also on about 1/4 or a bit more dry food a day which he mostly eats at night when he's locked in the laundry.
I don't want him running around DD's room waking her at 3 am.

My last cat was on KD food from the vet for a few years so I had to relearn all the stuff I'd forgotten! And it's been 20 years since I had a kitten it's like having a baby after a 20year gap. I had to kitten proof the house a bit.

#5 cardamom

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

YAYYYYY I saw the thread title and was hoping it was you :D

My parents' cats have always eaten Whiskas and been just fine, but the vet insists supermarket brands are the McDonalds of the cat food world so I've been shamed into buying the more expensive stuff.  

One gets Advance which is one of the cheaper 'premium' foods and the other gets special Hills prescription tooth stuff, which has apparently made a big difference. Ideally they would be eating chicken necks and wings also but neither particularly likes them.

I find petcircle the most affordable place for food, and delivery is very quick/easy.

Now, importantly: name? description? pics?

#6 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Ahem i agree with B.A.G... - photos ploise? You too Jenflea 😂

Agree also with getting something a bit better than whiskas if your budget allows... we used science diet kitten initially then switched to ivory coat. No real reason, possibly ivory coat is slightly cheaper. I steer clear of wet food now - our older girl used to be on it at night but she was stacking on the weight and so we now give her two small portions of her dry food. If you listen to the conspiracy theorist i met in the dog park the other week, apparently all dry food, even premium brands, is no good and they need special raw food. I agree it's closer to thier natural diet but it's also impractical for most families.

My older girl is also on oral care food but I am told that her teeth problems may have been caused by diet early on. We adopted her when she was 4 so we don't know what she was fed and whether that caused it or not but I'd feel fairly confident feeding a kitten brands like hills, royal canin, ivory coat etc.  

All our pets get occasional meat tidbits - i'll sometimes save some offcuts from whatever i'm cooking. Dog gets raw bones, cats sometines get raw chicken wings. They all seem pretty healthy so far.

Congrats on your new family member, may he bring you years of love and companionship.

#7 BadCat

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

No photos.  No advice.  Rules are rules.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

photos on eb really suck. I’m trying to make it compressed and it still hates me.

I made him a cat shelter with a box and a T-shirt, because my other cat never used the cat bed ever and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I did buy kitten dry whiskas as they put him as 6-12 months, can’t remember what brand of tins I got now.

Thanks for the petcircle recommendation. I have a code to use with them. I need some revolution stuff too, so that could be worth trying.

#9 BadCat

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

The only really good advice I have is that if your kitten has diarrhea constantly and craps all over the damn house, try switching to a grain free diet.  Ask me how I know.  :rolleyes:

#10 everly

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Our kittens have the Royal Canin brand. Everyone always says that brands from a pet store are way better than supermarket food.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

I had a cat come to me years ago, theoretically around ten, but vet estimated closer to 12 - 13. Told me he didn't have that long with kidneys in his state. He'd been fed supermarket dried food.

Changed to a 'brand name' diet better for kidneys, and his kidneys actually recovered.

Once you've had an experience like that it's hard not to be convinced of the superiority of some of the brands over others.

ETA: He lived to 19, and it wasn't his kidneys that got him in the end.

Edited by born.a.girl, 03 August 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#12 nom_de_plume

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Ours like raw meat for dinner and dry food (Black Hawk) to snack on. The alps get a chicken wing/neck each week.

#13 Bono25

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

Hills and royal canine is better than others. I checked out some choice testing last year, felix did the best out of the supermarket brands. The others didn't have enough minerals, and too much of others.
They occasionally get raw meat, but it tends to give them the runs

#14 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Wooohooo! This is Opi.

Attached Files

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 03 August 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wooohooo! This is Opi.

Gorgeous!  Well, I would say that wouldn't I, that's our Ivy!

#16 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

He is beautiful. We did note most cats were tabby of some kind, and I did vaguely want a ginger one, but not enough to worry with the right personality. He withstood dd’s excitement.

I was going to put him in the laundry where the litter is overnight, along with the bed and water. Would he need food overnight? As far as we know, he hasn’t been yet, but he did pad in the litter tray.

It’s a bit weird, but he really loves dh. And he didn’t even come to pick him.

Edited by Riotproof, 03 August 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#17 BadCat

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Pretty.  I do love a tabby.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

I would put some food.  He's going to be in strange surroundings and a bit of comfort food won't hurt.

#19 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 August 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

I would put some food.  He's going to be in strange surroundings and a bit of comfort food won't hurt.

He was fishing around the kitchen and I realised it was wet food time. Dh hilariously came and told me "He wants a chicken wing". Umm no, I think they need to be raw.

#20 kadoodle

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Awww, what a pretty puddy.

#21 Renovators delight

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

He’s gorgeous, congratulations.

How old is he? Ours get fed twice a day, stuff from the pet food shop. The younger one was 6 months when we got him and ate twice a day from when he came home.

#22 Romeo Void

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Pretty eyes :heart:

#23 smilinggirl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

He is gorgeous. I leave a little bit of food out overnight as mine wakes at 5.30 and if he doesn’t have something to eat right then, he will walk around the house howling until we are all awake!

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

View Postsmilinggirl, on 03 August 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

He is gorgeous. I leave a little bit of food out overnight as mine wakes at 5.30 and if he doesn’t have something to eat right then, he will walk around the house howling until we are all awake!

On weekdays my alarm goes off at 5:50am, and as soon as it goes off, I hear the respective paws hit the floor as they all come to hound me before I've even had a cup of tea.

I have to feed them first, because as you say, otherwise their plaintive howling wakes the household.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 03 August 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

He was fishing around the kitchen and I realised it was wet food time. Dh hilariously came and told me "He wants a chicken wing". Umm no, I think they need to be raw.

Also, just watch when you give something that takes a little while to eat, where exactly you give it to them.

When we were away one day, neighbour came in to kindly give our dog his daily raw chicken frame.  Next thing he knows the dog is merrily destroying it on the sofa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.