So... we adopted a cat...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

We started with Royal Canin from the vet, but now we get a different Royal Canin from Pet Barn. The only wet food she will eat is Whiskas So Fishy Ocean Delights in Loaf. Occasionally she gets some actual fish as well.

#27 sammyv

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

We adopted two kittens and one has a sensitive stomach so they both get dry food in the morning and poached chicken with rice and veges at night.

#28 lozoodle

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

Oh he's just gorgeous!

My cats eat a tin each of dine or the Aldi "gourmet" food at night and some biscuits each morning. My older cat would be more of a grazer, but with my new cat around who eats everything in sight, she's got to eat quick of she doesn't eat lol

#29 Chchgirl

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

I've never had one but I might get one in Nz..they're cute :)

#30 Wolf87

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 03 August 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

I had a cat come to me years ago, theoretically around ten, but vet estimated closer to 12 - 13. Told me he didn't have that long with kidneys in his state. He'd been fed supermarket dried food.

Changed to a 'brand name' diet better for kidneys, and his kidneys actually recovered.

Once you've had an experience like that it's hard not to be convinced of the superiority of some of the brands over others.

ETA: He lived to 19, and it wasn't his kidneys that got him in the end.

Yep, my vet says it doesn’t matter what wet food you provide, but don’t go cheap on the dry food. You’ll pay the difference in vet bills later!

#31 DM. 2012

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 03 August 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wooohooo! This is Opi.

Georgous, our cat has the same markings.

#32 darcswan

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Opi is gorgeous! What beautiful markings and pretty eyes!

We do Hills or Royal Canin dry, about 1/2-3/4 C a day + a pouch. I also do fancy feast gravy lovers, which doesn’t upset my older boys sensitive stomach.

I also share my dinner with them, which is appalling on my part. But they’re so cute!

#33 Froyo

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

He's adorable!
I also recommend getting quality food. My boys have dental food due to them both being prone to tartar and gingivitis.

#34 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

I didn’t realize how much I missed my cat until today. He’s currently nuzzled into my leg. But has spent much time across my bosom, across my lap tonight.

#35 kadoodle

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostWolf87, on 03 August 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Yep, my vet says it doesn’t matter what wet food you provide, but don’t go cheap on the dry food. You’ll pay the difference in vet bills later!

I’ve heard the same. I’ve found buying bulk (and storing it somewhere safe and airtight) from either a stockfoods or vet supplier much cheaper than supermarket or vet.

#36 lozoodle

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

I agree on the dry / wet thing. Definitely worth spending money not the good quality dry food :)

Wet food, eh, whatever, its more just for their enjoyment really. The dry food is where they get all the goods.

#37 Riotproof

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:01 AM

But do they need both?

#38 Paddlepop

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

Kitty! Very cute. I hope that Opi enjoys having new human servants owners and is happy.

Jenflea: We still need cat photos from you!

#39 lozoodle

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 04 August 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

But do they need both?

No they can have a complete dry diet if you get the good quality stuff, its meant to be a complete diet.

I just think my 14.5 year old would probably murder me in my sleep if I cut off her wet food hahahaha
maybe wet food to her is what chocolate is to me :)

#40 born.a.girl

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

View Postsammyv, on 03 August 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

We adopted two kittens and one has a sensitive stomach so they both get dry food in the morning and poached chicken with rice and veges at night.

You've obviously got it sorted, but our big boofy stomach on legs has (had) a sensitive stomach, and the Hills science diet for sensitive stomachs really worked.

#41 born.a.girl

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:23 AM

View PostWolf87, on 03 August 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

I didn't know that and have been feeling guilty about the wet supermarket level.

Seems to me all of the ones I can get online are almost all the small pouch/containers and environment wise I just can't come at three lots of packaging, some of it not recyclable, from each feed.

I'll be glad when the kitten gets to 12 months and we don't have two different lots of both wet and dry food.

#42 *Spikey*

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

Such a pretty kitty! So, we have Korats and we feed them Hills Siamese breed biscuits (Korats are another Thai breed) and they enjoy ignoring those little tins of Dine in the morning and evening. One tin between the two, as they rarely eat all of it now that Mee Law is no longer a kitten and has stopped eating to grow. Mimi loves biscuits. She occasionally inspects the fish.

They sometimes get a bit of something else cooked for them - and Mee Law has attempted to help himself to raw prawns on several occasions because apparently they should be cat food not people food..... Funnily enough, there are never prawns left in the wet cat food.

#43 Expelliarmus

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

My breeder advises that whiskas is high in sugar and not good for them.

I have also experienced what switching dry food does to the back end and it’s not pretty. I thought the breeder was using Royals canin so bought that but actually the kitten food he uses is ProPlan so the diahorea was just awful. I used ProPlan for #2 and there was no mess. I then slowly introduced Royal canin since that’s now what I use as no way I was switching cat#1 after surviving the poopybutt!

#44 Riotproof

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

I’ll have a look on petcircle and mix them at first. I’d really prefer to do away with the wet stuff. He has quite smelly runny poo. Not diarrhea but not firm nuggets either.

#45 *Spikey*

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

All the cereals and stuff in the wet Whiskas is possibly causing the smelly, runny poo. It's also worth talking to the vet if it doesn't firm up after a week - could be something else parasitical...

#46 marple

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 03 August 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Wooohooo! This is Opi.

Omg.
My absolute favourite a tabby and white. You are very lucky. Mine was the best cat I ever had. Have never found another one in rescue - so currently have a tortoiseshell and a black but am very jealous of your kitten!

#47 Riotproof

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

We saw the paws first, marple. He was rolling around in the back, and there was just a splash of white amongst the tabby.

#48 JustCurious100

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Oh Opi is just gorgeous! Congrats!

#49 Riotproof

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 04 August 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

I’ll have a look on petcircle and mix them at first. I’d really prefer to do away with the wet stuff. He has quite smelly runny poo. Not diarrhea but not firm nuggets either.

They seemed more like I remembered today. But his breath or farts smell of it too.

Gosh, it’s really like a new baby and discussing poo. Sorry.

Dd managed to sit still while watching tv today and he sat on her blanket letting her pet him, so she loves him again. That is a huge win.

I’m not sure he likes his new bed or if he just slept lots today while we were out but it is very snuggly.

Edited by Riotproof, 04 August 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#50 Jenflea

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

Mine got the sneezes 2 days after we got him, but he's ok now.

But wow, his poos stink! I'm used to a cat on KD food that just didn't have stinky poos so this is a shock lol.
Maybe it's a male thing, like human males.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.