Engagement with your faith community

10 replies to this topic

#1 lizzzard

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

I'm curious about  how people engage with other members of their faith.

I've grown up viewing my spirituality as a fairly private matter - almost embarrassing to talk about. If I discover someone is a Christian, or even a spiritual person of a different faith, I feel really happy...but it rarely comes up in conversation.

My main connection to other people of my faith (Anglican) is through church each week. I used to attend a bible study every week as well but for some complicated reasons we stopped meeting. I also used to attend a bible study group at my old workplace but don't work there anymore.

I have a couple of friends who are strong Christians in my circle but we probably only manage to meet up a few times a year due to busy schedules.

What about others? Are you frequently engaged with your community or rarely? I'd love to hear about other people's experiences :)

#2 TrixieBelden

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

I’m in our social justice group which meets monthly and then does various activities in between (eg we do hamper distribution and home visits with vouchers etc). Also go to discussion groups at key times eg Lent.

I like mixing with a variety of people and am also not a fan of the overtly religious types (always seems a bit false) so I’m happy with this amount of involvement.

There are social groups at church but - a few too many Holy Joes!

#3 Mose

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

Try to go to church every week (realistically is more like every two weeks).  Also Anglican and despise the greeting of the peace and forced conversations to welcome. But that's just me.

Volunteer at church with the girls group once a week.

Sit on the board of a Christian organisation.

Friends I would consider closest are Christian, but like you, not necessarily seeing them that often (have less close friends I see more regularly due to circumstances).

I also feel a bit embarrassed to talk about my faith - I do truly believe it all, but I find it to be deeply personal, and largely between me and God.

Also used to do a Bible study group, but it was putting way too much pressure on our family schedule to sustain.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

I attend the worship service every week but I’m not a huge fan of the rest of the activities. I’m not even particularly a fan of the one I have to organise for girls’ group but when you’re organising it you have to turn up!

Sunday really is enough community for me. Too much probably. I’m laying here trying to motivate myself out of bed.

#5 cabbage88

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

I love getting to church on Sunday when I'm sitting there learning and I don't have my kids and can just worship. It's hard these days to see where my faith isn't a part of my life because it's my lifeline, God right now is as present as any one else in my every day. So from that right now I'm engaging pretty often, usually sending a message to someone I haven't spoken to in a while as I feel prompted. And having my daughter doing FYOS at a Christian school, where I've known many of the parents for a few years through Christian circles, has been so great for regular face to face contact with other Christians. That's probably number one- they see me most days and I can't hide if I'm falling apart that day!
It's not always been like this and everything ebbs and flows but it's much better now than it has been

#6 Kallie88

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'm pagan. For the last year we were getting together once a month (my mum and a few family friends) to connect spiritually. Unfortunately changes in commitments has recently stopped that. I generally find society too Judeo-Christian focused to bother talking to anyone casually about my spirituality

#7 luke's mummu

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

We go to church as a family together. I’d love to go to a weekly bible study, but there’s just no time. We have 1 weeknight with no activities, and that’s my ironing night! We used to go to a small church, where there were lots of opportunities to serve the faith community, but now a big one where they seem to have everything covered!

#8 Datrys

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Ah, well... I'm kind of immersed in the community.  The trouble isn't finding time for it, it's finding time to get away from it!

(I once heard a bishop describe ministry as being the "knot in the net" of the community, and I find that very apt.  I tend to be the contact point for a lot of people and hold a lot of things together.  I don't always like that - I'd like it all to be less dependent on me - but it seems to be the reality of it whether I want it to or not).

One of the things, though, is that not all of that is equally satisfying for me personally.  Things like nursing homes (I do a lot of nursing home services) I find very draining, if not depressing; and in my parish I have no peers near my age at all.  So I really cherish the small group of school mums who meet and pray once a week - we all belong to different churches - because they're at the same sort of stage of life as me and tend to just "get" where I'm at and what I'm on about, where with people much older or much younger, the gap isn't always easily bridged.

#9 TrixieBelden

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

I forgot - I also take communion to people stuck at home due to illness. That’s a really nice activity although time consuming.

#10 Literally Literary

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostDatrys, on 04 August 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Ah, well... I'm kind of immersed in the community.  The trouble isn't finding time for it, it's finding time to get away from it!

(I once heard a bishop describe ministry as being the "knot in the net" of the community, and I find that very apt.  I tend to be the contact point for a lot of people and hold a lot of things together.  I don't always like that - I'd like it all to be less dependent on me - but it seems to be the reality of it whether I want it to or not).

One of the things, though, is that not all of that is equally satisfying for me personally.  Things like nursing homes (I do a lot of nursing home services) I find very draining, if not depressing; and in my parish I have no peers near my age at all.  So I really cherish the small group of school mums who meet and pray once a week - we all belong to different churches - because they're at the same sort of stage of life as me and tend to just "get" where I'm at and what I'm on about, where with people much older or much younger, the gap isn't always easily bridged.

View PostTrixieBelden, on 04 August 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

I forgot - I also take communion to people stuck at home due to illness. That’s a really nice activity although time consuming.

I was a Minister for the Eucharist weekly so eagerly signed up for ministering communion to the sick. I really didn't enjoy it at all but soldiered on thinking that enjoyment of such a task was a bonus.

Do you find that, Datyrs, with your nursing home ministering? I ended up forcing myself to go and dreading each time I was rostered to do it. I don't know how I would do it if it comprised a significant part of my role.

Edited to correct poster UN.

Edited by Literally Literary, 04 August 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#11 Datrys

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

I find it complicated.  There are joys, but I have to look for them.

I think, for example, of the dear saintly lady I was speaking to in the last few weeks; she has dementia and is getting to the point where she can't really keep track of plans, activities etc.  And I had been talking to her thinking how awful it would be to get to that point etc; and then she looked up at me and smiled and said, "So I just embrace each day as an adventure."

And I was so humbled by the grace and humility and humour which let her live her life with joy in that circumstance.  

I think on the whole what really depresses me about nursing homes is more about the institutional culture and all of that; the people themselves are where I can find the motivation for it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.