The Block 2019

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#651 sahmie

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

I didn’t see Tess as a nasty person, I saw a young, inexperienced person put under extreme pressure. New to renovating, probably new to budgeting, and all of it under scrutiny. She was belittled at times, and made out to look lazy and incompetent. Mitch didn’t pick up a tool until the last week, and I didn’t see him face the same judgement.

From the very start, this block was set to make people crack. They never had enough money to finish without winning rooms, and all five teams couldn’t win in every week. How many of you judging her are perfect in your darkest hours?

#652 Mrs Claus

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

View Postsahmie, on 11 November 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

I didn’t see Tess as a nasty person, I saw a young, inexperienced person put under extreme pressure. New to renovating, probably new to budgeting, and all of it under scrutiny. She was belittled at times, and made out to look lazy and incompetent. Mitch didn’t pick up a tool until the last week, and I didn’t see him face the same judgement.

From the very start, this block was set to make people crack. They never had enough money to finish without winning rooms, and all five teams couldn’t win in every week. How many of you judging her are perfect in your darkest hours?

I agree and feel the boys have much more life experience and still didn’t handle it very well. They were so smug that their changes made them better people when in the end it was their undoing

#653 José

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

View Postsahmie, on 11 November 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

i pretty much agree with this. i seriously struggle when i dont sleep well and they were engaging in physically exhausting work, being mentally challenged and up all hours of the night to get the painting done.
and throw it they were expected to do a lip sync comp for national TV and all sort of things.
it would be hugely challenging, which is why im satisfied they all won good money.
as much as id love that prize money i dont think i could survive the block!

#654 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

Tess and luke needed 2 buyers who needed a self contained unit for a dependent adult to get that price. Lucky for them it paid off. It was a good idea but not for an air b n b.

I didn’t like to comments about education being paid and so blasé about it and like well of course we would get that much. I missed house 5 so can’t comment but to me Mitch and mark seemed happy with $10k and said that (even before the auction) and of course deb and Andy were happy. But I would have liked to see house 1 and 3 get a bit closer to house 2. (Or house 2 not have gotten so much more?)

I found it interesting that the 2 outside houses went for the least and I think auction order probably did something for that. So mark and Mitch going first could have ended up with a lot more if they went somewhere else.

#655 Pearson

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

Air BNB offer rooms all the time - this would rate higher fees than your standard share a place, but less than an entire property.
Either way, could also be for nanna and grandad who go grey nomading, it is a place for them to base themselves. Self contained unit for a teenager or uni student to have some independence, a place to hang out without annoying mum n dad.
They also had the least in your face, confirmed style, less crap for people to change if they want to.

Maybe the person who had the money just liked their house more than the others. Personally, I did not like the boys house. Deb & Andy is nice, but honestly, Jesse and Mel was a bit meh. Their living, dining and kitchen area seems cramped.

I think that based on what they have done, Tess and Luke have allowed for the buyer to put their stamp on it easily.

#656 Chocolate Addict

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Doing some quick math last night Mitch and Mark earned around $27000 a week, so $13k each. Nothing to complain about at all, especially as it is tax free.
They were the lowest so the rest earned much more.

#657 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

They were just happy to get money to help their sick grand daughter. That’s a pretty good reason to push yourself to get the best outcome.
I hope next season isn’t going to be as hard. Nine have bought A huge block of land. Maybe they are building houses from scratch. That would be a good one to watch.

#658 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 11 November 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

Doing some quick math last night Mitch and Mark earned around $27000 a week, so $13k each. Nothing to complain about at all, especially as it is tax free.
They were the lowest so the rest earned much more.

Is it tax free though? I was wondering as the auctions were happening if they'd have to hand a third of it to the ATO.

#659 Rockwiz

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostMrs Claus, on 11 November 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

I agree and feel the boys have much more life experience and still didn’t handle it very well. They were so smug that their changes made them better people when in the end it was their undoing
Yet they volunteered to go first at Auction when no one else was prepared to. Tess and Luke on the other hand got exactly what they wanted - second spot. I have to wonder if Nine decided to set T&L up for a good win given they may well have sued them given their recent comments about bullying. It’s a bit hard to continue with those accusations and at the same time take 700K.

#660 Chocolate Addict

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

Pretty sure the money they win is classed as a prize. They are paid a weekly wage to be on the show and the winnings are not guaranteed but a prize. They also don't actually own the property so it isn't theirs to sell.

** I could be wrong though lol

Edited by Chocolate Addict, 11 November 2019 - 10:04 PM.

#661 Mrs Claus

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

View PostRockwiz, on 11 November 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yet they volunteered to go first at Auction when no one else was prepared to. Tess and Luke on the other hand got exactly what they wanted - second spot. I have to wonder if Nine decided to set T&L up for a good win given they may well have sued them given their recent comments about bullying. It’s a bit hard to continue with those accusations and at the same time take 700K.

They only volunteered to go first because it suited them.
Tess and Luke’s apartment had a mini appartment also...it was always going to get more then a 3 bedroom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.