Upside down dog

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kadoodle

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

One of my young dogs is extremely submissive. Any dog we meet; she’s flat on her back and acting like they’re going to kill her. None of my other dogs have ever hurt her, and while the cats get nasty, they leave her alone unless she bothers them.
Confidence lessons have been flunked, as has obedience classes unless it’s only her and no other dogs.

Any suggestions? She’s a border collie, so an anxious breed, and I’m happy to try just about anything right now.

#2 *Spikey*

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

A clicker, a lot of treats and a heap of patience.

I did a lot of remedial work a few years back with doggies who had issues, including fearful ones.

I used a proximity rule - get them happy and confident at the distance they aren't rolling over, and ensure that attention is on the human (aka the confidence zone). When you have them settled and keen to work at that distance, you move 1 foot (30cm) closer and begin again.

Critical part is that they are rewarded for confident attention in the other dog's direction, and timidity and submission is ignored and moved backwards to the confidence zone if it is too close where the confident behaviour is immediately sought and rewarded.

It took 6 months. But the cutey patooty red kelpie did eventually make nice puppy dog friends to play with. She too had absolutely NO reason to be this way, other than it was her temperament.

#3 kadoodle

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, Spikey! She’s even frightened of my mother’s chihuahua, and he’s the size of a guinea pig.

#4 *Spikey*

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

But they have huge barks. And they are great danes on the inside...

#5 kadoodle

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Dad calls him the pit bull chihuahua.

#6 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

View Postkadoodle, on 06 August 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks, Spikey! She’s even frightened of my mother’s chihuahua, and he’s the size of a guinea pig.

I’m frightened of chihuahuas.  Give me a Rottweiler any day.

#7 Jenflea

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

I read once more dog attacks are done by small dogs than large ones. Those little ratters are vicious!

#8 kadoodle

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

A girlfriend of mine has a Maltese terrier, a Rotti and an Irish wolfhound. Guess who’s the boss?

#9 *Spikey*

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

The pint-sized pit bull (MT).

#10 kadoodle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

Upside down dog is now hiding under DS3’s bed and whimpering from the storm outside. Gargoyle cat is hissing out the window.

#11 *Spikey*

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

I have two dogs that hate thunder, and one that thinks it means it's time to go out and play. She can't understand why the others aren't so enthusiastic about it. The cats ignore it.

#12 *Spikey*

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

This is probably a good time for TV treat-n-train. Little five minute (ad break) bursts of obedience practice, which will also get her concentrating on anything but the thunder. If you do it often enough, they learn that storms are precursors to the good stuff......

#13 kadoodle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

DH dragged her out and is brushing her (brushing is her “you love me” thing). The other two dogs have slept through the whole thing. Maybe I need to get their hearing tested?

#14 Flaxen

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Well Im here getting scared myself of the wind. Our windows are creaking at a level quite intimidating.
Dogs asleep in front of the fire.

#15 kadoodle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

I’m halfway expecting the house to blow away, tbh. Some is bluestone on rock, but the rest is on stumps, and rocking alarmingly.

#16 Flaxen

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

Our laundry is flooded.
DH has had putting a weatherstrip on the back door on his to-do list for 3 years. Still not done, and once again I have a laundry full of water.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

DS3 our my weatherstrip on the back door and front door, because DH dithered. He’s asleep in the crate with Mama dog and three cats. I think i’m Redundant.

#18 Paddlepop

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

Wait, your son is in the dog crate? Did he at least take a pillow and blanket in there?

My staffy hated storms. She had to have doggy Xanax. Poor thing was terrified of them.

My parents' current foxy barks at the ceiling when she hears thunder. Seems she hasn't worked out that the noise is coming from outside the house. Stupid dog.

#19 kadoodle

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

He was. I pulled him out and put him in my bed though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.