Cat won't use litter box

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sammyv

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

We got two kittens about three months ago, one boy one girl.

In the last three weeks the boy has started pooping on the floor next to the litter box daily.  It doesn't seem to matter how clean the litter box is he will still not go in it. He will wee in the litter box.

Any tips on how to get him to poop in the litter box again.

Edited by sammyv, 06 August 2019 - 06:34 PM.

#2 kadoodle

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

Little bugger! Two boxes beside each other? Some cats are fussy and demand a box for poo and a box for pee.

#3 sammyv

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Kadoodle - just taken up your suggestion and put a second litter box there. Hopefully it works.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Yep, second litter box, preferably in another part of the house.

We've resorted to three for the two indoor cats, and even had to remove the persian rug in the front hallway because apparently that was a better alternative.

#5 sammyv

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

Born.a.girl - at least it has been on the tiles for us. Thanks for the suggestion for different locations.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

Could it just be bad aim? Both of my cats tend to perch on the edge with their butts right up to the side, sometimes it just spills out over because they are bad poop aims?

Also how many trays do you have? Definitely have at least one per cat, and even a third could be a good option.

Hope it sorts its self out!

#7 *Spikey*

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

Also, a bigger litter box. Maybe a covered one?

He has grown since he arrived, he may not feel comfortable in that box in poop position....

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

We sorted the poop over the edge issue by having the litter tray inside a larger plastic container - the sort you can buy with our without lids.  The local paper goes between the tray and the larger container to absorb spills.

#9 sammyv

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:10 PM

He has grown a bit.  We put out two litter boxes today but it still happened.  I don't think it is bad aim as it is too far away from the box.

I am going to change one litter box to a different litter (one we have used previously) as maybe he doesn't like the crystals.

I will look for a bigger box tomorrow.

#10 anna_garny

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

The rule we adhere to for litter boxes and multiple cats is one box per cat and one spare - in different parts of the house if possible. We have 3 indoor cats, so we have 4 litter boxes, two in the laundry and two in our sun room.

#11 alfoil hat

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

We are lucky to have the space, but have three tubs similar to this https://www.bunnings...wheels_p2583375 one of ours has higher walls and that’s even better for flicking. We have a cat who resembles a lion and there’s plenty of space for him. Agree with the above PPs, one box per cat plus one

#12 Froyo

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

I have enclosed litter trays from the Reject Shop.

#13 400

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

My cat (who is now nearly 13) was exactly the same. Her sister was happy to use the litter box even if it was busting at the seams with mess but not this lady.

It started with needing a 100% pristine clean litter box, moved on to needing a never used container with litter in it, and eventually became an absolute no poo in a box under any circumstances.

She would and still will wee in litter (of any degree of soiled-ness) but will only poo indoors if it is on a smooth, flat surface = tiles, bathtub, floorboards if she is desperate.

I fortunately have been able to accommodate her being able to go outside (both of our preferences) with cat-runs and now living on a large property, and this allowed us to get over the strained relationship of having to clean her poop from the floor every day.

A couple of times over the years I have had to have her go inside and I have 2 “solutions”. One: purchasing a large tile as the poo spot, and putting towels down to discourage the use of other spots (though she would push them away if she could!) The other was to put a few crumbs of clean litter in a designated poo corner of tiled laundry or in an otherwise unused bath- she seemed to follow the litter cue as the place to go but just liked the smooth shiny surface. She does a very dramatic digging dance beforehand so I don’t know if the space and slipperiness is what she is after. It was feral to clean fresh pop with no litter buffer but I kept a roll of paper towel and designated spray for instant cleaning so it didn’t stink the place out.

I’m sorry he is challenging like this, I feel you, I really do!

#14 kadoodle

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

One of mine does the digging to China thing, and won’t poo in a litter box with more than a sprinkle in the bottom or he tips it all out. Cats are strange beasties.

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

A cheaper alternative to the plastic container in the short term, is one of those flat, fruit box trays.  We used one until our containers arrived when the kitten came to stay.  Depends how far they can fling! Couldn't believe how far this tiny scrap of a thing could fling kitty litter.

Handy trick for those talking about poop being offputting - we have a roll of toilet paper near the litter box and use that to take poo to the loo.

#16 sammyv

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the suggestion - we will try them as needed.

Last night we swapped the type of litter in one box so we will see how that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.