Gardening dog

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JustCurious100

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

Ughhh! My dog keeps digging in my gardens. We've tried sprinkling his poo around where he's been digging. We haven't given him any bones (thinking that's what he might have been burying) but he continues to dig. He has never been a digging dog until the last few weeks. I gave him a kong yesterday which he worked on but we came home to a new hole.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do to make him stop?

#2 *Spikey*

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

A clam shell with sand, and things hidden in it.

We have a designated spot (dog hill) that the dogs are allowed to dig and do doggy things to. It pretty much keeps them to one spot.  They hide their toys there, and all the 'finds' from our yard. Buttercup once hid a chook egg there, carefully scooping out a hole then covering the egg, then the next day carefully extracting it again.

Digging is a normal activity, so your best bet is to direct it to something that won't be a problem, like a shell just for digging.  You may need to add a few other toys to the mix to keep his brain occupied.

#3 kadoodle

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

My dogs love their sandpit, and happily share it with Tonkas and the 5yo foreman.

#4 lalalove

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

I've heard sprinkling chili flakes on the areas they like to dig can help?

#5 kadoodle

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Chilli? No, that sounds awful. Although I did once know a Labrador x Heeler who used to eat chilli off the bush, so YMMV.

#6 Flaxen

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Ive been telling DH to make a sandpit for our young dog, she just can't help digging holes in our lawn!

#7 JustCurious100

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

Apologies for my late reply. I had one typed out last night but I didnt press send!

Thank you so much for your advice. I've just learned that he enjoys kongs so I'll invest in a couple more to keep him occupied. We'll be fencing off his garden of choice for awhile

#8 kadoodle

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

I still can’t believe that a dog could bury an egg, then dig it up intact. Was it hard boiled, Spikey?

My veggie garden is protected by chicken wire; the dogs could jump over if they really wanted to, but apparently it’s not worth going to the effort when there are other places to dig.

#9 *Spikey*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

No. One of the neighbour's chooks laid it in our yard. This was Buttercup, she had a very soft mouth, even for a Labrador. And was wickedly smart.

#10 kadoodle

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Wow, that’s very impressive. TBH, all the labs I’ve known would have just eaten it.

#11 *Spikey*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

Yep, and I know she had it for several days - it took me a while to work out she had 'something'.

#12 Etta

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

My kelpie can sneak an egg out from the chook house and carry in her mouth to where she wants to eat it. But burying it is a whole different level.

#13 *Spikey*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

She was never a guts - one of the few labs I've ever met that grazed, not gulped.  She also used to feed the magpies her left over dog food (intentionally - carried mouthfuls over to them, then sat back and let them eat it) when she decided it was no longer attractive, and wanted new stuff.

I think that technically, that made the magpies her pets.

She also tried to say "helllloooooo", using a whine and growl to approximate the sounds I made when greeting them in the morning (think me saying "Heelllloooooooo puppies!" in a long drawn out, happy tone). She taught the other dog to do it too, very funny to be greeted by a dog saying hello, that actually sounded like hello.

#14 JustCurious100

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

She sounds absolutely gorgeous!

#15 kadoodle

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

That’s adorable, Spikey.

#16 bubskitkat

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

She sounds like a beautiful dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.