Advice that you never thought you would give your teens ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

What are your words of advice that you have given your teens that you never thought that you would say?

Mine:

* Sometimes it is okay to have sex just because it is fun (some extension to "having sex with someone will not make them love you").

* Do not dump good friendships due to bad decisions - we all make mistakes. This then extended to a conversation around drug taking and looking after your mates.

* If you are going to send nudes, make sure that your face is not in it (nor anything else identifying) - rather than simply "do not send nudes"

* It really does not matter whether you go to university or not - happiness can come from many sources. Just be a good person and a contributing member of society.

What advice have you surprised yourself with?

#2 Karlee99

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostSkeptiHandsOnMum, on 07 August 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

* It really does not matter whether you go to university or not - happiness can come from many sources. Just be a good person and a contributing member of society.

I have often quoted very similar to my tribe - sometimes swap happiness with education - IE education can come from many sources - because I don't care what they do with their life as long as whatever they decide to do they give it their best.

The sex stuff makes for some awkward chats, for them more than me, but I'd rather be honest than ignore it.

Another go to for me is do not judge others for what they may have done in their past, you can only judge them by how they treat you personally.

#3 AmazonBabe

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

Being autistic is no excuse for being an a**hole.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

Nothing I advised them didn't feel hypocritical to me. :)

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

Other peoples feelings are not your responsibility.

#6 purplekitty

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

So many things.

#7 steppy

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

One I particularly remember was 'you should avoid girls like her. she's not taking good care of herself and you'll get caught up in her mess'

This was so close to 'that girl doesn't have any self-respect - she sleeps around' that it made me shudder.

It was about more than her sex life but it was still so close I felt bad about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.