Who should pay?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:31 PM

Ok, so I’m having a ‘disagreement’ with my ex. Here’s the run down..

- we have been separated over 2.5 years now.
- first 18 months or so were not at all amicable.
- we are in a better place now, but I still think he is a tw*t. I bite my tongue on a lot, and give in very easily for the sake of peace.
- for the first 2 years we were separated he contributed $0 towards our kids. He has never paid child support. He pays 50/50 on costs (eg. extra curricular, medical, school etc.) now, and has done for the last 6 months.

Ok, so when we first spilt I kept the car. It was registered in his name but was in my possession. It was eventually court ordered that he transfer the car to my name.

In November 2017 I got a parking fine ($75) which was sent out to him. He had 28 days to transfer this fine to my name, which he didn’t do because the car was registered to an address he no longer lived at, so he didn’t actually receive the letters for these. Now, almost 2 years later, his license is suspended and he either needs to pay the fine or go to court to have it changed. The fine is now $220.

He expects me to pay it because it was my fine. I wasn’t even aware of this fine until today. I said I would pay $75, but the late fees are not my responsibility. He argues if he has to go to court over this he may accrue additional court costs and will miss a day of work.

A huge part of me struggles to care about this considering how easy I have let him have it financially since we split. Should I suck it up and pay the full amount, or only the $75?

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

Only the $75.

#3 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

Only the $75.00

If he had transferred the car way back when, you would have received the original $75.00 fine and paid it then.  That is all you should be paying now.

#4 -Emissary-

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

Only the $75.

Is he assessed to pay child support for the first two years? How reliant are on him contributing to half the cost now.

Personally, if he was assessed to pay child support then I’d tell him I’ll deduct it from the child support debt he owes you and you’ll now get CSA to start collecting child support. Obviously this only works if you’re not scared of him ceasing paying for half of the expenses.

#5 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

View Post-Emissary-, on 07 August 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

Only the $75.

Is he assessed to pay child support for the first two years? How reliant are on him contributing to half the cost now.

Personally, if he was assessed to pay child support then I’d tell him I’ll deduct it from the child support debt he owes you and you’ll now get CSA to start collecting child support. Obviously this only works if you’re not scared of him ceasing paying for half of the expenses.

I have a child support exemption, so he legally isn’t required to pay anything. This has been in place since the separation.

I don’t think he will stop contributing to the costs, mostly because he’s aware that I hold a lot of the cards when it comes to his time with the kids. I would never (and have never) kept them from him, but he’s not exactly in a usual position for a separated father. He gave up his custody case in court when he realised he was getting no sympathy from anyone and it would work more in his favour to work with me. He doesn’t have a great track record.

#6 ~elle~

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:35 AM

Only $75.

He's an adult - adulting means taking care of paperwork, taxes, change of address, mail forwarding etc. Not your problem.

#7 limakilo

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

Only the $75.
Were you not paying the rego for the car you were driving?

#8 gracie1978

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

He didn't keep his address details up to date, these are the consequences.
He's stupid to challenge it in court, they'll just double the fine.

It's not unusual to not get a paper ticket for a parking fine at the time, so realistically there is no way you could have known about it.

You also probably got the fine running around after the kids...
I think a reasonable person would contribute $75.  His behaviour would not make me feel reasonable.

Edited by gracie1978, 08 August 2019 - 07:01 AM.

#9 JRA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

n November 2017 I got a parking fine ($75) which was sent out to him. He had 28 days to transfer this fine to my name, which he didn’t do because the car was registered to an address he no longer lived at, so he didn’t actually receive the letters for these. Now, almost 2 years later, his license is suspended and he either needs to pay the fine or go to court to have it changed. The fine is now $220.

He didnt keep his address details up to date, for a car that he didn't have. I can understand doing that easily,

I am more confused on how you didn't know you had a parking fine. Dont they put the ticket under your window?  Why did you not pay it off that.

I have never received a letter for a parking fine. They normally expect you to pay the fine off the ticket. You only get the letter if you dont pay off the ticket

Don't they do that in some states?

#10 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

There’s no paper tickets in the area I live in. We are in NSW.

#11 JRA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

So how do you know you have a ticket?

#12 -Emissary-

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

You get sent a letter with the fine details.

We also don’t always get a ticket on the window shield in our area anymore.

Sometimes I still see fines on other people’s window shields but we received our parking fine in the mail. Seems pretty inconsistently applied here but I thankfully don’t get enough fines to really know.

Western Sydney

Edited by -Emissary-, 08 August 2019 - 07:34 AM.

#13 night jasmine

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

We get paper tickets for parking fines, followed by a final notice in the mail. Other traffic infringements might not result in a paper fine until you receive it in the mail.

#14 katpaws

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

$75 in 5c coins.

#15 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

View Postkatpaws, on 08 August 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

$75 in 5c coins.

😂

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think you should pay all of it. There wouldn’t be any amount to pay if you hadn’t been fined in the first place. Yes he should have updated the address but I can understand why he didn’t in the circumstances. What happened in your financial split is irrelevant imo.

I’m surprised you can even transfer rego of a car without acquitting any outstanding fines. I would have thought they’d require payment of all that before they let it be transferred.

#17 BeachesBaby

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

I’m going against the grain here and will say I think you should pay the full amount. Yes he should have updated his address, but if we’re all being completely honest with ourselves, any one of us could have made that same admin error. There are so many things to change when you move. I get he’s been a jerk in lots of other ways, but this was your fine and yes you didn’t know about it, but neither did he, so it’s not like he just sat on it and refused to transfer the fine to you to be purposely difficult. I’d pay the full $220 and apologize for the inconvenience it’s caused with his license being suspended.

One caveat is if the timeline is such that he should have transferred the ownership of the car to you before this fine happened, I’d change my answer because that was willful on his part. But it’s not clear that the court order to change ownership actually happened before this did.

#18 too tired to care

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

I am assuming the car is still not in your name, if this is the case tell him you will pay the $75 when the car has been transferred to your name.

If he had transferred the car when he was told to this would never have occurred as you would have received the fine.

The original $75 fine is a consequence of your poor driving/ parking, so that is your responsibility.

The further fines and loss of license is a consequence of his refusal to transfer car to you and not changing his address as required by law on his licence. So those consequences are his responsibility.

If he chooses to go to court over it, tell him all court costs will be his as they will likely tell him the above.

#19 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

View Postlimakilo, on 08 August 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

Only the $75.
Were you not paying the rego for the car you were driving?

I was paying the rego, I just needed to look the plates up online and pay it that way.

#20 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostJRA, on 08 August 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

I am more confused on how you didn't know you had a parking fine. Dont they put the ticket under your window?  Why did you not pay it off that.

I have never received a letter for a parking fine. They normally expect you to pay the fine off the ticket. You only get the letter if you dont pay off the ticket

Don't they do that in some states?

I genuinely have no memory of receiving a paper ticket. Usually here we get the original paper ticket and then one reminder sent out to our address to pay - I think they do this because it can’t be guaranteed the original ticket made it to the recipient?

#21 night jasmine

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

I think you should pay the entire amount.

I’m surprised it’s possible to pay rego, CTP and insurance without noticing name and address details.

#22 EmmDasher

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

I do agree that if he hasn’t transferred the rego and that is essentially why you didn’t know about the fine then that’s on him and he should pay the late fees etc.

Edited by EmmDasher, 08 August 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#23 marple

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

View PostHippyDippyBaloney, on 08 August 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

I was paying the rego, I just needed to look the plates up online and pay it that way.

Didn't that still list the wrong address??
Anyway, I'd just pay the whole lot and be done with it Not worth the agro( assuming you can afford it).

#24 Nasty Butterfly

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Could you offer to split it 50/50? I think it sounds like there was carelessness on both of your parts that lead to the fine increasing so you should both wear the costs.

#25 too tired to care

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

I just had another thought, I'm pretty sure you can arrange change of ownership or notification that the car is yours to the RMS. They started this process as many people who sold their cars were not lodging the change of ownership and were causing issue for those that had bought the car.

I think you should ring RMS to see what the best procedure is to get car into your name given current circumstances.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.