Who should pay?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#26 aquarium2

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

I'd offer half. There is fault on both sides.

#27 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

View Postmarple, on 08 August 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Didn't that still list the wrong address??
Anyway, I'd just pay the whole lot and be done with it Not worth the agro( assuming you can afford it).

Oh, yes definitely. But at the time there were far bigger things at play happening in our lives. He had bail conditions in place stating there was to be no contact with me (he was arrested for DV - the reason for our split), and the bail was in place until his criminal case was heard in court. I knew the car was registered to the wrong address but had no way of communicating this with him.

It was a very horrible time in my life (and his too, no doubt).

#28 seayork2002

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

If there was no fine none of this would have happened, if it was me I would pay it all.

#29 Holidayromp

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

View PostHippyDippyBaloney, on 08 August 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Oh, yes definitely. But at the time there were far bigger things at play happening in our lives. He had bail conditions in place stating there was to be no contact with me (he was arrested for DV - the reason for our split), and the bail was in place until his criminal case was heard in court. I knew the car was registered to the wrong address but had no way of communicating this with him.

Then it’s on him to pay the rest beyond $75.00.

It was his poor choices that landed him in the situation he is in.

#30 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

View Posttoo tired to care, on 08 August 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

I just had another thought, I'm pretty sure you can arrange change of ownership or notification that the car is yours to the RMS. They started this process as many people who sold their cars were not lodging the change of ownership and were causing issue for those that had bought the car.

I think you should ring RMS to see what the best procedure is to get car into your name given current circumstances.

The car is in my name now, it was transferred to me about 8 months after this ticket was issued. A judge court ordered that he sign the transfer papers.

#31 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

View Postnight jasmine, on 08 August 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

I’m surprised it’s possible to pay rego, CTP and insurance without noticing name and address details.

We’ve just bought a vehicle and transferred it into DH’s name. We received a letter from the licensing department advising that the rego is due soon and we won’t receive a renewal notice. All I needed to pay it online was the licence plate. Ownership and address details were not shown at any time.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 08 August 2019 - 09:34 AM.

#32 night jasmine

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:34 AM

With your updates I think you should just pay $75.

It was on him to update his contact details.

#33 Demera

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think that as you incurred the fine, the whole thing is your responsibility to pay.  You would/should have known that you parked illegally, or overstayed the time limit. I don't think it's fair to say you didn't know about the fine just because you thought you'd got away with it, especially as he's the one who now has a suspended licence.  I think he's copping his fair share for not transferring the rego over.

#34 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think you should pay the full amount too.

#35 123ChristmasTree

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

Can you write to the fines office and outline exactly what happened with dates and say that you would like the late fees waived.

#36 marple

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

View PostHippyDippyBaloney, on 08 August 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Oh ok. Sounds awful. I just know when I went through a terrible time I regret the amount of energy and stress wasted on what turned out to be small things years later.
I would pay it all just so it didn't keep me up at night. ( if I could afford it). I think pp's suggestion of sending in a letter to get the late fees waived given the circumstances is a good one too.
Glad things are better for you now.

#37 Tokra

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

It's a tough situation and there is fault on both side.

I would probably offer to pay half to be honest.

As PP said, people don't get fines without knowing they are parked illegally.

However, I say that without having all of the feelings that you have that are associated with what you have been through, which is hell by the sounds of it.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer though. You just need to do what you feel comfortable with.

#38 Hollycoddle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostWTFancie shmancie, on 07 August 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

Only the $75.00

If he had transferred the car way back when, you would have received the original $75.00 fine and paid it then.  That is all you should be paying now.

Yep.  And if he didn't even notify you of it until now then how were you to know to pay it?  Except don't they put an envelope on your windscreen anymore?  They still do this where I live.

#39 born.a.girl

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

View Post123tree, on 08 August 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Can you write to the fines office and outline exactly what happened with dates and say that you would like the late fees waived.

I think this is worthwhile, too.

A bit tedious, sure, and of course in the meantime his licence is suspended.

I think you can pay and still contest it, but not sure if that just applies to the fine or if you can contest late charges on their own.  Don't know if I'm even right on that, though.

I guess it depends on whether the money's worth the time and effort.

If he's forced to pay the difference, it may cost you more in the long run if he chooses to be obnoxious.

#40 gracie1978

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

OP if the roles were reversed what do you think he would do?

#41 Hollycoddle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostBeachesBaby, on 08 August 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

I’m going against the grain here and will say I think you should pay the full amount. Yes he should have updated his address, but if we’re all being completely honest with ourselves, any one of us could have made that same admin error. There are so many things to change when you move. I get he’s been a jerk in lots of other ways, but this was your fine and yes you didn’t know about it, but neither did he, so it’s not like he just sat on it and refused to transfer the fine to you to be purposely difficult. I’d pay the full $220 and apologize for the inconvenience it’s caused with his license being suspended.

His fault for not changing the address. So the OP should pay the $75 and no more.  I doubt you could even contest it, considering the onus is totally on you to ensure the RTA is kept updated with correct address details.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 08 August 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#42 Holidayromp

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 08 August 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

But he DID know about it.  As the car was still in his name he would have received the fine in the mail.  At that point he could have let the OP know about it but he didn't, he just let it sit there and accrue the late fees.  So the OP should pay the $75 and no more.

And then he sat on it until it became a bigger problem than what it should have been.

#43 red_squirrel

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

I also think you should pay the whole fine.

#44 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

He would 150% not pay if the roles were reversed. Around that same time we had costs associated with our mortgage to pay. It was a house that had tenants in, so neither of us lived there. I paid the lot myself and it turned out there was an overpayment of about $700. He didn’t contribute a cent to this, but he accepted the full amount when it was refunded (he had it all refunded to him alone). I am still kind of bitter about that. I have been trying my best to leave the past in the past and not make things ‘tit for tat’ so I haven’t brought this incident up as a reason I shouldn’t pay, but it’s very much on my mind.

Honestly, there are so many ways he has screwed me over financially and he doesn’t care. I always let it go for the sake of peace. I probably will this time as well, and just pay the full amount if it comes to it. But it’s hard not to feel crap about it.

I do like the suggestion of writing to them, I think I will give that a go.

#45 Hollycoddle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 08 August 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

We’ve just bought a vehicle and transferred it into DH’s name. We received a letter from the licensing department advising that the rego is due soon and we won’t receive a renewal notice. All I needed to pay it online was the licence plate. Ownership and address details were not shown at any time.

Absolutely.  Obviously it would be a massive breach of privacy if I were allowed to put in any old car rego number and up pops all the personal details of the registered owner!  Just imagine how that would pan out in this age of increased road rage lol.

We did have a dodgy loophole in the ACT law not long ago where 100% private carpark operators were able to obtain the personal details of car owners via the RTA so they could send fines to their address.  That loophole has been closed and it's hard to believe it was ever allowed to happen.  Another case of governments playing fast and loose with our privacy.  Now many people never bother to pay when they go into those carparks as they know they can't trace them from the rego plate alone.  Stop relying on dodgy government departments to enforce your profits and shell out for some boom gates!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 08 August 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#46 Hollycoddle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

View PostHolidayromp, on 08 August 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

And then he sat on it until it became a bigger problem than what it should have been.

Sorry, I did have to go back and edit as I re-read the OP which said the fine would have got sent to an old address.  Still stands though, he should have kept it updated.

#47 rosie28

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

Tell him you’d be happy to go halves with him if he gives you the $700 he owes you.

Seriously though, I come at this from a legal background. It’s his responsibility to pay it legally, having not taken the opportunity to nominate another person at fault. That said, “but for” your actions the fine wouldn’t exist in the first place. I think you paying the original $75, or at most 50% of the total outstanding, is fair in those circumstances.

#48 born.a.girl

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 08 August 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

His fault for not changing the address. So the OP should pay the $75 and no more.  I doubt you could even contest it, considering the onus is totally on you to ensure the RTA is kept updated with correct address details.

Of course the onus is on you to keep it updated.   Humans at the other end will be reading the letter though, and may allow the leeway.

Daughter had a myki find which was absolutely valid, despite the fact she thought she'd tapped on, she hadn't.  Sent the appeal letter with the specifics, and it was cancelled, given the circumstances.

#49 Dadto2

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostHippyDippyBaloney, on 07 August 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

In November 2017 I got a parking fine ($75) which was sent out to him.

The parking ticket has all the info you need for paying the fine, web address, bpay details and the infringement number. So you could have paid it. If those details weren't there and you were relying on the details being sent to you and he didn't forward on the letter than he should pay the $220. If the ticket had the required information then you should pay the $220. Perhaps a compromise would be $110 each.

#50 Tokra

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

In light of your recent update - not your problem! His licence, his problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.