Roast Pork ‘Trimmings’

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 can'tstayaway

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:59 AM

You know the saying “roast with all the trimmings”... so, what are your favourites?

Here, we must have roast potatoes. Must be peeled, crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside roast spuds. No fancy variations allowed.

Gravy is another. Not jus or a one pan sauce thing. Must be thick brown, flavoursome gravy.

I want more veg so will often make a salad to have with a bit of meat and in winter I’ll do some other roast veg but I’m a bit bored of the usual.

#2 ~J_WTF~

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Apple sauce for pork.

A roast must have roast carrots, I almost like them better than potatoes.

Mashed pumpkin is our other fav to go with roast.

#3 nom_de_plume

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

I don’t like pork so I’d be having lamb, beef or chicken.

Roast potatoes, carrots and pumpkin with garlic and rosemary. Steamed broccoli, beans and corn on the cob with butter and truffle salt. All goes in the middle and everyone can help themselves. Sometimes I like a little bit of mustard with my beef. I don’t like gravy which I realise most people consider an abomination. I just can’t stand it.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

well, crackling obviously for pork. apple sauce - and gravy, homemade - not out of a packet - but made from the pan juices, bit of wine to deglaze, a well flavoured stock. i love roast potatoes and carrots. roast parsnips are nice too and i always throw some spanish onion chunks in with the roast vegetables - that flavours the gravy too. with pork or roast beef i tend to do steamed (but just al dente) broccoli or green beans. with roast chicken i usually do a green salad.

#5 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

We do cherry sauce with pork in winter, so put whole frozen cherries in a small saucepan with red wine, sugar, mixed spice and a couple of cinnamon sticks, then boil down till there’s not much liquid left. Super yummy and bonus house smells yummy too!

#6 Riotproof

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Crackling.

#7 Sancti-claws

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

I do all roasts but pork - but all the trimmings is lots of vegetables roasted with it - garlic, onion, capsicum, potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini and beetroot if it is available - oh, and gravy made with stock!!!

#8 Mooples

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

Roast pork must have crackle. All roasts here are served with roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, Dutch carrots, pumpkin and parsnip with gravy to finish.

#9 dadwasathome

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

I can never get the crackling right, even though it's one of my favourite things. I eat more pork belly that roast these days.

But trimmings - I nice stuffed loin - apple and macadamia - with potatoes that have soaked up all the cooking juices (and fat, let's be truthful here :) ), Gravy and apple sauce, or possibly even loganberry these days.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Dadwasathome, do you pour boiling water over the rind, pat dry, then add a little oil and salt rubbed in? Must be scored of course too.

#11 overlytired

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:06 AM

Braised red cabbage and gravy made from pan drippings.

#12 dadwasathome

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 08 August 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Dadwasathome, do you pour boiling water over the rind, pat dry, then add a little oil and salt rubbed in? Must be scored of course too.

Yup, all those things. Have tried in oven and kettle BBQ - can never quite get the heat right, and either burn or don't crackle enough :(

#13 Riotproof

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

:( that is a sadness.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Brussell sprouts and roast parsnip.

We put the rub salt and oil in, put it in for 20-30 mins at the highest oven temp then reduce to normal temp for crackling

we learnt this from mums boyfriend after we called him at some early hour for him in a mad panic call to him from overseas

never had a problem after this

View Postoverlytired, on 08 August 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

Braised red cabbage and gravy made from pan drippings.

I love braised cabbage, not the pickled version though

#15 BECZ

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

For me it has to include roast pumpkin and roasted carrots.  They need to be a bit caramelised.  Sometimes we add parsnip and potatoes goes without saying.  Home made apple sauce for pork and we sometimes buy the extra crackling too.  It's one of the very few meat products that we buy from Coles.
Proper gravy made from pan juices is mandatory too.

We usually only have either pork or chicken.  DP doesn't like lamb (he actually doesn't really like any roast meat) and that's ok because I like lamb, but don't really miss it.  
The kids have it occasionally at my mum's house, so they have had the chance to try it and occasionally we have lamb chops/cutlets etc., so they're not missing out and they prefer pork or chicken anyway.

ETA, I forgot onion and the garlic.  Just get a whole head of garlic and cut the top third off.  It's yummy when roasted and caramelised.

Edited by BECZ, 08 August 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

View PostBECZ, on 08 August 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

For me it has to include roast pumpkin and roasted carrots.  They need to be a bit caramelised.  Sometimes we add parsnip and potatoes goes without saying.  Home made apple sauce for pork and we sometimes buy the extra crackling too.  It's one of the very few meat products that we buy from Coles.
Proper gravy made from pan juices is mandatory too.

We usually only have either pork or chicken.  DP doesn't like lamb (he actually doesn't really like any roast meat) and that's ok because I like lamb, but don't really miss it.  
The kids have it occasionally at my mum's house, so they have had the chance to try it and occasionally we have lamb chops/cutlets etc., so they're not missing out and they prefer pork or chicken anyway.

Lamb is the reason I could never be a vegetarian, I make DH leave the room so I can chew on the bones.

I can't say I am fan of roast beef as I can't taste it (I mean the bog standard beef not the posh eye watering expensive stuff)

I do love Yorkshire puddings and horseradish though and bread sauce.

#17 overlytired

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 08 August 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

(...) I love braised cabbage, not the pickled version though

This is Hungarian style, so just red cabbage, salt, fat (lard preferably), sugar, vinegar, and water.

#18 Inkogneatoh

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

For me roasts need roast potato, pumpkin and onion. I'll normally toss in what ever else we have, so that could be brussel sprouts, carrot, zucchini, baby corn, asparagus and cauliflower are common. Frozen is fine.

Roast pork has apple sauce, roast everything else gravy. From jars and packets normally as I'm over cooking by that stage because I struggle with all roasts (I've accepted this). I also struggle with crackle, but find after it's time in the oven, chopped up, it will bubble under the grill.

Roast beef around here is the rolled pot roasts, and they go in the slow cooker on a bed of onions and mushrooms. once cooked and the solids spooned out, I will often throw a cornflour slurry into those juices and blitz for a gravy.

#19 hills mum bec

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

When we have roast pork we have roast potatoes (par boil then coat in seasoned flour before roasting in hot oil), honey carrots, peas, yorkshire pudding and nice thick gravy made from the pan juices.  Heaps of crackling is a must.

#20 Mollycoddle

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 08 August 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Lamb is the reason I could never be a vegetarian, I make DH leave the room so I can chew on the bones.

When I'm dishing up a leg of lamb I may or may not break off the smaller little leg bone with all the crunchy skin and hide it so I can gnaw on it later...

We have seasoned and floured roast potatoes, sweet potato, carrot and pumpkin.  Peas/snow peas, broccoli, zucchini and corn on the cob.  Sometimes pan gravy, sometimes a sachet mixed with pan juices.  A sachet I've found which is nice for lamb is Gravox Lamb & Rosemary, a thicker, light-coloured gravy.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 08 August 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#21 Kallie88

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

With pork: crackling and apple sauce
Roast potato and carrot, parsnip if with lamb
Usually we do streamed veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, maybe green beans or corn on the cob
And gravy

#22 Pocket...

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

Crackling. I need crackling.  The best crackling needs a thick layer of fat under the skin or it will dry out and burn. Also pork is a lean meat so the joint can stand a bit of fatty on it to stop it going dry. Don't pick the lean one.

I like braised cabbage, steamed broccoli and carrots, roast pumpkin and potatoes that have skins on, parboiled then shaken in salt and olive oil then roasted.

If we're having lamb whole roast garlic and beef needs Yorkshire pudding.

Now I'm hungry...

#23 hills mum bec

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostPocket..., on 08 August 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Crackling. I need crackling.  The best crackling needs a thick layer of fat under the skin or it will dry out and burn. Also pork is a lean meat so the joint can stand a bit of fatty on it to stop it going dry. Don't pick the lean one.

This!  I always pick the one with the thickest layer of fat under the skin, thicker the better.

Our local supermarket gets their roast pork from a supplier.  They was a period when all the legs that I bought had the skin wrapped around the meat but wasn't actually attached and there was no fat underneath it.  it was like they had cut the skin from another cut of meat and attached it to a skinless piece.  It was absolutely rubbish when it came to crackling.  I ended up sending an email complaint to the company and they ended up sending me two boxes of of boneless pork legs - 20kg of pork which was around 12 individual roasts all with the skin attached along with an apology.  They haven't made the same mistake since.

#24 Cimbom

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 08 August 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

I ended up sending an email complaint to the company and they ended up sending me two boxes of of boneless pork legs - 20kg of pork which was around 12 individual roasts all with the skin attached along with an apology.  They haven't made the same mistake since.

One of my marketing lecturers at uni recommended doing this for complaints lol. He claims he has received many boxes of free items :lol:

#25 steppy

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

For me it is crackling, roast potato and pumpkin and really fresh steamed broccoli. I am happy to go without sauce but if there is a sauce it must NOT be apple sauce.

Yuk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.