What do I do now?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 cvbn

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:40 PM

A few weeks back, on holidays, we had our van broken into.

They took some iPods, some jewellery and toys and a very expensive flute.

I just had a phone call from someone who has purchased one of the iPods off of a mate.

It is locked (my son did it online, not sure how) and my number came up.

The chap sounded upset and offered to drop it off to me (not possible, we are interstate). I asked him to drop it at the police station and he wasn't keen to do that.

He offered to post it but said he didn't have any money this week.

He seemed keen to chat and I was feeling uncomfortable so I asked him to ring back tomorrow (DH is out on a tractor and I wanted to talk to him)

What do I do? Offer to pay postage? Ask if he saw a flute for sale? (It's a really nice, limited edition flute)

Any advice, it was so weird. What if it was the person who stole the things?

I am so confused.

I will ring the police station tomorrow (we made a report) but I don't want to bother them at 10 pm.

Thank you for any advice.

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

Don’t give him your address, it could be some kind of scam. Wait till you have the advice of the police.

#3 knottygirl

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:46 PM

Don’t give him your address. I don’t know what kind of info Apple need to unlock an iPad but he might be just trying to get more info

#4 nasty snaugh

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

I third not giving your address, just talk to the police and see what they say

#5 *melrose*

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

Don't give address out sounds to suss.

#6 Ayr

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:59 AM

I'd give a parcel locker address if he is offering to post it. Did a phone number come up when he called? Could pass that to police if so.

#7 cvbn

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:10 AM

No, he withheld his number Ayr.

Thank you for your advice EB, I will ring the Police Station this morning.

I appreciate the help.

#8 can'tstayaway

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Ditto what everyone has said.

If your son locked the iPod and then your number came up, it means it’s been turned on. The location finder will be able to give an approximate location of where it is now or if it’s turned off, the last location. The address might be known to the local police already.

#9 cvbn

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

I rang the station.

They agreed not to hand out our address. The officer suggested I encourage the chap to hand the iPod in, he could leave it in a envelope if he was worried, drop and run.

I have not heard back from him and doubt I will now.

Thanks for the support and advice, last night. I was a bit freaked out.

#10 luke's mummu

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

He’s up to no good-an honest person would happily drop at a police station

#11 cvbn

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Update.

I had 4 missed calls from a withheld number this afternoon.
He then left a message saying he wanted to talk to  me.

Can I block a withheld number?

I am feeling quite uncomfortable, what do I say?

#12 onetrick

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:26 PM

How weird. You have given him options. He could always post it to your local police station (give him that address instead of yours?).
I wouldnt answer the phone at this time of night, and you can explain when you speak to him next that you couldnt call him back when his number was withheld. I go all day without being able to answer your phone, that's not an unreasonable thing.
I hope you get your iPad (and hopefully other things!) soon!

#13 Goldenash

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

View Postcvbn, on 09 August 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Update.

I had 4 missed calls from a withheld number this afternoon.
He then left a message saying he wanted to talk to  me.

Can I block a withheld number?

I am feeling quite uncomfortable, what do I say?

No you can’t.  But there isn’t any harm in having another conversation with him to give him the other options pp have suggested.  

Alternatively is it possible to set up a click and collect. Don’t know if it would require you to give out any further details.

He is presumably reluctant to drop off at the police as he is concerned he would get in trouble. I can kinda understand his concern

Edit to add I’m not sympathetic to him. But just think if he is at all genuine you need to find some middle ground that doesn’t freak him out

Edited by Goldenash, 09 August 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#14 cvbn

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

Goldenash, I am sympathetic to him. If he is genuine (and he sounds it) he is quite upset.

The police said not give him our address , we are very rural so no local police station

It's hard to convey how awkward it was to get off the phone from him last night, I felt like I was comforting him and he was wanting me to fix the situation.

DH is going to answer if he rings again, it won't bother him like it is upsetting me.

Thank you.

#15 Neko NoNo

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

I hope you husband can take the call so you aren't further distressed.

If it does end up being you that speaks with him, write down what you are willing to say- that he can drop it at a police station, the street address of a police station, and thank you for contacting me- whatever it is that you are willing to say, basically write a script, and don't diverge from it. Even have a sign off- I can hear that this is causing you distress, however, I have told you all I am going to say, and end the call.

Good luck- hope its a good person who is just unusually persistent and demanding

#16 Luci

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

I don't really have any advice but a few years ago my bag was stolen from my car. It contained my purse, phone, and a special drink bottle that DD was given when she was born.

Back then we still had an ordinary home phone and the number was listed in the white pages. A couple of days later I had a call from a woman who said she had my purse. She had been able to find my number from the details on my license. I had cancelled all the credit cards and the license straight away but I asked her to take the purse to the police station.  Unfortunately the reason for the call was to see if I was prepared to give her money in exchange for getting the purse back.

I said no and called the local police station. They advised me to stay well away from that sort of person and under no circumstances offer them any money.  Anyway OP I know you have had several conversations with this person and they haven't asked for money. However he also doesn't sound like an honest person who is trying to return your property.

#17 Freddie'sMum

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

Hi OP

If he calls back again, you can say I have spoken to the police and they said to do X Y Z.  If he persists, you can reiterate what the police told you and then simply hang up.  I wouldn't engage with him further after that.

#18 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

^ I’d do that as well. If you were genuine and the person you phoned told you “the police said do XYZ”, you’d generally think “ok if the police said that it’s probably the best way then”.

If you were planning something dodgy, and you heard “I told police and they said do XYZ” you’d think “sh*t if the police know it’s not worth trying anything” and you’d probably just move on to someone else.

Admittedly I’m a pretty cynical person anyway, but if someone kept insisting on my address and when I said no they kept phoning and insisting they wanted it, I would be pretty wary.

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

Perhaps he is the parent of the thief who has found the booty ? He is torn between dobbing his kid in to the police and doing the right thing by you.

Just thinking out loud.

#20 BECZ

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 11 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Perhaps he is the parent of the thief who has found the booty ? He is torn between dobbing his kid in to the police and doing the right thing by you.

Just thinking out loud.
This was my first thought too!
Unless it's a younger person that's calling and he got involved due to peer pressure and is now feeling guilty or sh*tting himself.

#21 Luci

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostBECZ, on 11 August 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

This was my first thought too!
Unless it's a younger person that's calling and he got involved due to peer pressure and is now feeling guilty or sh*tting himself.

Did he sound like a younger person OP? Absolutely it is possible that it's the person who stole from you who is calling you out of fear / guilt etc.  However IMO it would be a bit usual, if I was a petrified teenager I think I would be getting rid of the evidence and hoping the whole thing would just go away, rather than repeatedly phoning the person I stole from.

#22 Ellie bean

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 11 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Just thinking out loud.
Scammers are pretty sophisticated and convincing though, identity theft is a big thing, it’s best to be cautious

#23 cvbn

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

DH and I swopped phones for the last few days and there have been no further calls.

I would like to think he is someone who just got caught up in a dodgy situation.

I would hazard a guess that this fellow was between 20 and 30, the lad that broke into our vehicle was a young fellow on a bike (a neighbour saw him, gave chase and then woke us to tell us out van was open/lights were on)

Thank you all for your input, I am pretty naive so I wanted to get advice before I did something daft.

Edited by cvbn, 11 August 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#24 Inkogneatoh

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostLuci, on 11 August 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Did he sound like a younger person OP? Absolutely it is possible that it's the person who stole from you who is calling you out of fear / guilt etc.  However IMO it would be a bit usual, if I was a petrified teenager I think I would be getting rid of the evidence and hoping the whole thing would just go away, rather than repeatedly phoning the person I stole from.

Unless he did genuinely buy if from a "friend" in which case his petrified as hes in possession of stolen goods. The "friend: may be some one he's close to he doesn't want to get into trouble, or a friend of a friend of a friend who he doesn't know enough to dob in. Either way he's actually forked out money, not necessarily with the knowledge of the origin, and is trying to get it unlocked as he's out the money other wise.

#25 cvbn

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 11 August 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Unless he did genuinely buy if from a "friend" in which case his petrified as hes in possession of stolen goods. The "friend: may be some one he's close to he doesn't want to get into trouble, or a friend of a friend of a friend who he doesn't know enough to dob in. Either way he's actually forked out money, not necessarily with the knowledge of the origin, and is trying to get it unlocked as he's out the money other wise.

He told me her purchased it off Facebook, from a mate and then said mate blocked him.

When I initially asked him to drop it into the police station he said he wouldn't as 'he had had some issues with the police in his past' I didn't ask what.

He did seem genuine and didn't ask for money but did mention he had spent his last $150 on the iPod so he couldn't afford postage until payday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.