What do I do now?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

As far as the flute goes - put the word out on facebook - local groups, music groups etc. Try reddit as well. Ive seen a workman recover his stolen tools this way.

#27 cvbn

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 11 August 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

As far as the flute goes - put the word out on facebook - local groups, music groups etc. Try reddit as well. Ive seen a workman recover his stolen tools this way.

DH went to several pawn shops and music stores and left our details.

The pawn shops were not very helpful but the music stores said they would buy the flute, if it came in and then let us know.

One chap said he got his mates fancy guitar back that way. He recognised it when someone came in trying to sell it.

#28 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 11 August 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Scammers are pretty sophisticated and convincing though, identity theft is a big thing, it’s best to be cautious

For sure, I was not suggesting otherwise.
As I said......it was just a thought that came to my mind.

#29 The Little Engine

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:10 PM

What brand flute OP? (You can pm me. I will keep my ears out)

#30 cvbn

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

View PostThe Little Engine, on 11 August 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

What brand flute OP? (You can pm me. I will keep my ears out)

Thank you, it was a Pearl 25th anniversary, limited edition, open hole, gold mouth piece.

You are kind!

#31 Clementinerose

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

Did you have any house keys in your van? All they would need is your address and they have open access

#32 cvbn

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

No, thank goodness but good point!

#33 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Have you checked on marketplace? There are plenty of flutes on there. The guy bought the ipod off there.

#34 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

View Postcvbn, on 11 August 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

He told me her purchased it off Facebook, from a mate and then said mate blocked him.

When I initially asked him to drop it into the police station he said he wouldn't as 'he had had some issues with the police in his past' I didn't ask what.

He did seem genuine and didn't ask for money but did mention he had spent his last $150 on the iPod so he couldn't afford postage until payday.
Is an iPod worth $150 2nd hand? I would have thought not, so that seems weird too.

#35 cvbn

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 12 August 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Is an iPod worth $150 2nd hand? I would have thought not, so that seems weird too.

Totally not worth that, I purchased it second hand off eBay for $70.

View PostIamtheMumma, on 12 August 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

Have you checked on marketplace? There are plenty of flutes on there. The guy bought the ipod off there.

I don't have Facebook, but I will ask my daughter to, good point!

Edited by cvbn, 12 August 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#36 Mollycoddle

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostGoldenash, on 09 August 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

He is presumably reluctant to drop off at the police as he is concerned he would get in trouble. I can kinda understand his concern

I don't actually get that.  If someone were a thief then they would hardly be trying to return an item therefore the likelihood of the police actually taking action against them is low.  You can even refuse to give details if you like, they can't force you to.  I worked in a youth refuge and our policy was to hand any illegal items in to the police.  I once took in a few illegal knives and I explained our policy.  I was pressed for my own details as well as info on the provenance of the knives but I refused to provide it.  They took possession of the knives anyway and I was able to leave the station without incident.  If an item is coming back to its owner then that's all they really care about, no point prosecuting the thief if the bounty has been returned.  There's not a lot police can do about break-ins and thieving in any case.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 12 August 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#37 Mollycoddle

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

View Postcvbn, on 11 August 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

One chap said he got his mates fancy guitar back that way. He recognised it when someone came in trying to sell it.

My old housemate got a drum kit back that way, it was a unique one.  It was taken out of his car from the carpark at the small shop just across from our house when he had the car packed full of his worldly possessions when we were on high alert during the 2003 Canberra bushfires.  Absolute low-lives.

#38 born.a.girl

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 12 August 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

My old housemate got a drum kit back that way, it was a unique one.  It was taken out of his car from the carpark at the small shop just across from our house when he had the car packed full of his worldly possessions when we were on high alert during the 2003 Canberra bushfires.  Absolute low-lives.

There's something particularly revolting about people taking advantage of serious weather events, accidents etc to steal.

I can actually vaguely understand the mindset of someone with nothing breaking into a nice home and taking the TV - and I stress vaguely.  'They look like they've got the lot and I've got nothing'. In case someone says 'there's no excuse' I'm not posing it as one, simply saying I can comprehend the mindset.

I simply can't comprehend anyone taking advantage of the misfortune of others.

#39 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:54 PM

What did you do OP?

#40 cvbn

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

There has been no further contact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.