Essential movie viewing

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 BadCat

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

View Post#mocha, on 11 August 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

I was just looking at all those reply’s and thought.  If I was 13, I’d be wanting to watch current movies.  Not reliving my parents childhood.  

I have fond memories of when video stores first opened up, my parents would send us kids down and we would watch the latest videos as a family. Looking back now there was probably quite a few they weren’t interested in, but they never showed it.

Yeah for sure.  But the OP asked for 80s movies so that's what I gave them.

I used to love a trip to the video store. Found some obscure brilliance in those aisles along with the box office biggies.

#52 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

My parents got my brother and I to watch a bunch of old movies they thought important - I particularly remember Pinic at Hanging Rock and 2001 a Space Oddessy. We also had to listen to their collection of original taped episodes of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galexy. It was an excellent education!

#53 Mishu

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

:D DS does get to choose too, he made me sit through Grown Ups recently. He loves Adam Sandler, so I’ve had my fair share of pain.

He’ll roll his eyes when I put on an old movie but then will be shocked when it’s actually good (DS much preferred the original MIB to the recent release we saw in the cinema, funnily enough).  Movie nights at home are a shared experience, and when the weather is terrible, it’s a great excuse to stay in. We take it in turns to pick the viewing choice-my choice this weekend. And I’ve loved the suggestions here!

#54 Claudia Jean

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

My kids (12 and 10) love the movie Twins. Initially they were put off by the "olden days" non-HD resolution (kids these days...!) but really got into it and we now watch it every few months.

#55 #mocha

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Badcat, I realised that’s what OP asked for.   I was just expressing my point of view 😃

#56 Lyra

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

I was just looking at all those reply’s and thought.  If I was 13, I’d be wanting to watch current movies.  Not reliving my parents childhood.  

My 14 year old daughter has watched a lot of the movies mentioned and when watching Stranger Things (the third movie in particular) was able to pick out all the movie references. It made her feel very clever LOL

As for Bladerunner we are holding off on that. It's a great movie and very visually stunning but is a bit 'slow'. I think she will appreciate it more when we watch it later this year

#57 Mose

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostBadCat, on 10 August 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

Not sure I'd be showing that to the average 13yo.  There's an awful lot of talk about c*cksucking going on in it.

Went to the musical earlier in the year and the family behind us who had knowingly disregarded the 13+ recommendation (heard them discuss it) were regretting it.

#58 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 09 August 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

Grease, if you think it's appropriate.

My 10yo was just shown it last weekend. Not sure how to feel, was planning to canvas that sort of content a little later!

I saw Grease at the cinema when I was 8!

#59 BahumChchgirlbug

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 11 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

I saw Grease at the cinema when I was 8!

My dad took us to the drive in to see it when it came out and I was similar!

I didn't realise how much went over my head until my kids were watching it when they were kids. ...and they love it as adults! It all went over their heads as well.

#60 MooGuru

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

I have fond memories of when video stores first opened up, my parents would send us kids down and we would watch the latest videos as a family. Looking back now there was probably quite a few they weren’t interested in, but they never showed it.

But what about the classics? Just because it's old doesnt mean it isn't good viewing.
I used to love watching classic movies with my dad when I was a teen. That's how I discovered the Marx brothers, Alfred Hitchcock etc etc.

#61 Ellie bean

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 11 August 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

But what about the classics? Just because it's old doesnt mean it isn't good viewing.
I used to love watching classic movies with my dad when I was a teen. That's how I discovered the Marx brothers, Alfred Hitchcock etc etc.
I reckon sharing is the way to go- parents pick one movie, the teen picks one
Then again as I’ve admitted before on EB I quite like Adam sandler movies so take my opinion with a grain of salt ;)

#62 No Drama Please

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

Not Adam Sandler! Actually I do kind of like that one where he gets a remote control that fast forwards through all the “boring” parts of his life. Or I thought the concept was interesting anyway.

#63 yule_maiden

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Beetlejuice
Drop Dead Fred (tho is that 90s?)
ET
The Dark Crystal (especially as there's a remake series coming out soon)
Labrinyth
Big
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

#64 WaitForMe

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

I don't know... I remember one winter in my early teens, one of the channels would put on an old black and white movie and I loved it!

Especially the ones with singing and dancing. Or Audrey Hepburn.

To do this day, those kind of movies feel like a wintery Sunday midday thing to do.

#65 yule_maiden

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

Maybe not quite what you're after OP, but if you can get your hands on some original Astro Boy episodes, your DS might enjoy those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.