Choosing primary school in NSW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobemommy

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Hey all

Considering schools for our son who will start in 2020 and not sure which avenues/website to look at in terms of school ranking and how relevant are those ?
Found this website   http://www.schoolcat....com.au/?p=9150 which shows school ranking, wondering what factors are used to compare the schools... ?  For instance, Sutherland PS school in South Coast and  Lindfield in North Shore are almost the same in rank (50 and 51)...

We are currently living in Lower North Shore, but were thinking of moving to the South Coast due to its proximity to great beaches, close to public transport and multiple other reasons. Appreciate if you lovely people can provide some thoughts !

Thanks !

#2 lizzzard

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

Different people will have different opinions but personally my view is if you want to move for a whole range of reasons, will possibly be renting first (?) and your child is just in kindy, I wouldn’t even really look at school rankings etc. Pick a nice area to live and chances are the school will be fine. If a school happens to going through a bit of a rough patch (which might affect its ‘rankings’) then this is also why there is so much standardised testing and it’s likely that they’ll be trying to improve anyway, which could work in students favour. So any choice you make is unlikely to be a disaster :)

#3 tenar

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

OP it looks like that ranking is looking only at Naplan scores on its own.  That's going to be nearly meaningless, and quite strongly tied to socioeconomic statues of the areas around the school.  I'd ignore it completely.

I'd work out where you want to live and then ask around what the schools are like.  Go to parks, playgroups, anywhere that parents gather and chat to people about the schools.

You might find the myschool website useful for general info about school size, ratios of girls to boys, staff to student ratio and the ever-present naplan results.  The latter are more useful if you compare them to similar schools (ie schools nationwide with the same socioeconomic ranking).

Hope that helps.

#4 Jersey Caramel

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

For primary schools, I would completely ignore any "rankings" online. As PP said,  it is based on NAPLAN and is pretty much just an indicator of SES. If you must look at them,  then look at the student gain from y3-y5, rather than the raw results.

My personal philosophy is that,  barring any special needs,  you should at least try the most convenient school first. Being able to walk to/ from school is a huge lifestyle plus! Also in primary school,  because they spend the majority of the time with their class teacher,  each child's experience of the school will be different depending on the teachers they get.  Even in an excellent school,  they will probably have one or two years with  a teacher that they don't gel with or who is a bit average. That's ok, and is a good life lesson (within reason).

Good luck!

#5 mintpatty

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

Sutherland Public School has a selective OC class for year 5 and year 6 which would pull them up the NAPLAN rankings.

#6 mm1981

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

I'd forget NAPLAN.

I would choose an area you like, go and visit the local schools and get a feel for them.  

As mentioned above, dont discount the convenience factor of your local school. Been able to walk to school means no parking or traffic stress. An added bonus is that your kids (and perhaps you) get some incidental exercise everyday and can burn off steam on the way to and from school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.