Shower cleaning - what do you do?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 Jingleflea

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:42 PM

The only thing I've found that cleans off soap scum is the KOH spray.

And the black scrubby thing that comes with it.

I don't get mould much due to our epoxy grout the guy used when we had the shower resealed. That stuff is worth every cent!

I do use mould killer spray for along the tracks and in the corners of the door/frame though. 5 minutes on that, rinse off. done.

#27 melbun

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

I use a micro fibre cloth all over several times a week.  And that’s it.  If you stop the gunk building up it’s really easy to keep clean.  

If I’m having guests and want to go the extra mile I’ll wipe everything down with a dry cloth to stop any water spots and clean the glass with windex.

#28 123Tree

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostAyr, on 10 August 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Cleaning the shower? Never heard of it.

DH is that you?

#29 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

Mine is a magical shower. Once every month or so I get in and really it’s clean.

I assume it annoys DH enough by that point, he cleans it :rofl:

#30 Gudrun

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

Use liquid soap not bar soap.

Dettol or any brand of bathroom wipes

Bath dry off with micro fibre cloth

The darker the grout the better if you're tiling!

#31 mandala

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

My 4yo decided to clean the shower today - scrubbed it with a nailbrush and then licked it clean :sick: . The shower looks no better or worse than it did before, and I'm torn on whether my 4yo deciding to clean the shower is evidence of my good parenting, or if the way he went about it shows the opposite...

#32 OrangeSprout

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

the Woolworths STRIKE Range has a great shower cleaner.. it is clear and costs $2.50 for a 750ml bottle and smells great too.
It is AMAZING!!

#33 mum2jp

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Vinegar, warm water and a dash of dishwashing liquid in a mixing jug. Scrub grout with an old tooth brush then wipe glass and tiles with chux and rinse. It seems to work. I am sensitive to bleach the smells makes me ill so the hard stuff is out of the question.

#34 petal71

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

This is my least favourite job too. We have hard water so have limescale build up on tiles in our shower and it looks terrible (house is only 5 yrs old so it shouldn't). I have just left half a lemon on it after reading that worked. We shall see.

Otherwise I use jif type stuff on the grout as often as I remember (approx. once a month) I am getting the house ready to sell and have used exit mould on it as jif wasn't really shifting the mould on grout. Will have to re-do it...

#35 MakesMeHappy

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

View Postpetal71, on 10 August 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

This is my least favourite job too. We have hard water so have limescale build up on tiles in our shower and it looks terrible (house is only 5 yrs old so it shouldn't). I have just left half a lemon on it after reading that worked. We shall see.

Otherwise I use jif type stuff on the grout as often as I remember (approx. once a month) I am getting the house ready to sell and have used exit mould on it as jif wasn't really shifting the mould on grout. Will have to re-do it...

When we lived in WA the lime scale in the water was a killer! We used to just spray straight vinegar on it after every shower. We didn’t wipe it off just spray it for a week or two. That helped break it all down we then gave it a swipe/scrub with a sponge whilst in the shower and it would come off. Once we were on top of it we started drying it after use.

#36 lozoodle

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

I use Koh on everything

#37 lucky 2

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:25 AM

Hi,

I removed a post that caused a significant derail in a shower cleaning thread.
I removed the large number of responses as it would not have made sense to have left them visible.
The op has thanked members for sharing their suggestion

Regards,

lucky 2

#38 IamzFeralz

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 August 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

I also shower without lenses of any type. I rarely know how disgusting my shower is.

According to my friend who has a cleaning business Domestos is the go to. So I bought some a few weeks ago.

I anticipate my showers are going to look great when I use it.

I just gave this a go today after seeing this thread.  It is very effective I have to say, particularly with the gunk that collects in the corners and is hard to reach with a brush.

I wouldn’t do it a lot however because of the fumes, maybe once a month?

#39 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Method works well for me, the mould remover from Aldi is brilliant, dishwashing liquid on the glass. I clean the shower while I am in it.

#40 StillDreaming

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:11 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 11 August 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

I just gave this a go today after seeing this thread.  It is very effective I have to say, particularly with the gunk that collects in the corners and is hard to reach with a brush.

I wouldn’t do it a lot however because of the fumes, maybe once a month?

As a teenager we used to use domestos in the kids’ bathroom. We’d do it while showering though (only once a week/fortnight) and rub the domestos over the glass/tiles with a dustpan and brush sized brush, let it sit while finishing usual shower routine and then spray it down before turning shower off. We’d also remove water from shower screen after each shower to avoid water marks (though I don’t remember being very good at this until I was old enough to appreciate a shower screen not covered in marks...). I don’t remember the fumes being too bad - definitely not like some of the other cleaners you can get.

#41 Feral33

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

Method spray after a shower, dark tiles, no bar soap, and a cleaner. Possibly just #4 would work.

#42 IamzFeralz

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

View PostStillDreaming, on 11 August 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

I don’t remember the fumes being too bad - definitely not like some of the other cleaners you can get.

Did you apply it straight out of the bottle onto a cloth?  I mixed it half with water and them sprayed it all over the shower and then hosed off.  I am thinking that is what made it so “fumey” for me.  I am interested in other ways of applying it because my bathrooms have no windows but it was very effective.

#43 Soontobegran

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

View Postrosie28, on 10 August 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Spray and wipe with Koh when it’s dry, occasional grout scrub.

I joined the Koh brigade after reading so many wonderful reviews. I ordered up big but it is as far as I am concerned as useful as wiping with water only.

It sits in my kitchen cupboard as a sign of my gullibility.

#44 More cheese Gromit

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

I have one of those dish brushes that you put dishwashing detergengent in the handle, it stays in the shower and I give the shower a quick going over each time I’m in the shower

I use any dish washing liquid in it

My shower is so much easier to keep clean now

I don’t have a fixed shower head so being able to take the shower head off and rinse the doors and walls down quickly does help

https://www.woolwort...ishmatic-handle

#45 MooGuru

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

I do the same More Cheese Gromit but also add vinegar to the mix.
Works well when I do it.

#46 StillDreaming

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:49 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 12 August 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

I joined the Koh brigade after reading so many wonderful reviews. I ordered up big but it is as far as I am concerned as useful as wiping with water only.

It sits in my kitchen cupboard as a sign of my gullibility.

I stocked up on it too and have thought exactly the same thing! I read all these amazing comments but I really just think it’s the same as wiping down any wet surface.

IamzFeralz - With the domestos, I just used to dribble a bit of it at the top of the shower screen (straight from bottle) and let it run down a bit before rubbing it with the brush. It’s been almost 20 years (!!!) since I did this though. Not sure if it’s changed at all.

Edited by StillDreaming, 12 August 2019 - 09:50 PM.

#47 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostStillDreaming, on 12 August 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

IamzFeralz - With the domestos, I just used to dribble a bit of it at the top of the shower screen (straight from bottle) and let it run down a bit before rubbing it with the brush. It’s been almost 20 years (!!!) since I did this though. Not sure if it’s changed at all.

LOL. That is exactly the way my MIL used to clean her showers when we first lived with her almost 30 years ago.    It’s great stuff, but don’t get it on anything dark as it will bleach the colour right out

I have a cleaner now and I don’t know what she uses, but my shower screens stay pretty streak free between her fortnightly visits.   I’ll have to ask her what she uses.

Before we hired her, I used to keep a scrub brush in the shower and give the tiles and glass a scrub with detox bathroom cleaner every week or so, and use a bit of exit mould in the winter on the grout.

#48 limakilo

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

I think with Koh that your surface has to be dry for it to work?
So you can't spray it on after your shower, you have to wait till it's dry for it to work properly.
We rent, and we take our shower head with us when we move. I hate not being able to take the shower head off and spray down the walls, so we just replace whatever the rental has, and put it back when we move out.
I find that helps in being able to rinse the whole shower.
https://www.bunnings...shower_p5009423

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.