Compulsory school sports carnivals should be banned

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#301 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostJRA, on 15 August 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

I want to know how kids choose sports that are not early Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Dance/gymnastics or martial arts are the only ones that might fit, most competitions are held in sociable hours or evenings.

#302 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

Back to the original topic, compulsory attendance im ok with so long as there is ample shade for the kids.

Compulsory participation is fine as long as there are 'novelty events' for the unco-orsinted amongst us to participate in.

I was one of those academic kids at school who couldnt run 100m to save her life. I can also swim fine to save my life, but its not pretty or fast. Put me on a balance beam or on a push bike & i was in my element, but neither ever formed any part of PE assessment. Even now, i prefer to do yoga or going for a bike ride for fitness.

#303 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 15 August 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't get this way of thinking. If you're moved on and your life is good now then why dwell on what's happened in the past?  Life isn't easy, if you've managed to get through childhood and adolescence and come out the other side OK then that's a good thing, it means you've managed to develop some resilience along the way.
And I don't get this way of thinking. If things can be done better so less harm is caused, why wouldn't you advocate for others? (Not thinking of sports carnival here, but my brother was certainly harmed by going to a place where he was made to feel stupid everyday.)

#304 Lees75

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostJRA, on 15 August 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

I want to know how kids choose sports that are not early Saturday or Sunday mornings.
I banned cricket.

Aussie rules, club, not school, has always been Friday night or Sunday afternoon- occasional 11am game.

Netball- boys comp, Monday night. Girls comp is Friday night in summer and Saturday afternoons in winter or late morning at 11am.

#305 JRA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

Aussie rules, club, not school, has always been Friday night or Sunday afternoon- occasional 11am game.

Netball- boys comp, Monday night. Girls comp is Friday night in summer and Saturday afternoons in winter or late morning at 11am.

Interesting how different states / associations do it.

Young netball I have always known as Saturday morning (we have "netball girls" who try and mix hockey and netball on a saturday morning), and AFL Sunday morning early around here.

#306 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 15 August 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't get this way of thinking. If you're moved on and your life is good now then why dwell on what's happened in the past?  Life isn't easy, if you've managed to get through childhood and adolescence and come out the other side OK then that's a good thing, it means you've managed to develop some resilience along the way.

This is a very unhealthy way of thinking and lacks empathy.

Being aware that trauma exists in one's past is not the same as "dwelling on it".

Edited by Jane Jetson, 15 August 2019 - 07:22 PM.

#307 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:41 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 15 August 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Just because you don’t think it was the torture alluded to here doesn’t mean it wasn’t for other people.

Nice way to dismiss other people’s experiences though...
Actually what I said was it was torture for me. All those Pe teachers were out to ruin my life, make me suffer and probably ultimately do me a great evil. At one point I was convinced the Yr 9 PE exchange teacher only had us do aerobics so he could watch our boobs bounce.

The students selected aerobics ...

If you read what I said it was that what felt like torture and sadism then probably wasn’t. Given hindsight. It still felt like it.

So, nice slamming of me there for dismissing others’ feelings.

My point was that however bad I felt, most of it was in my head. I bet Ms Needle wasn’t a netball nazi in a gym skirt at all but a nice woman who liked young people and wanted to give them opportunities. Mr Townsend was probably just a guy who liked tennis and cricket and teaching children and young people. And the vast majority of the teachers made policies around Pe and sports day that they thought would help us grow and develop.

But you just go ahead and misread my post and continue snowplowing the way so children don’t have to encounter, deal with and negotiated for themselves things that don’t come easy.

#308 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

When you go on to say that I think some people are viewing it with anti rose coloured glasses, what do you mean then if it’s not to do with anyone else? Because all the rest would have been fine and come across as you claim you meant it but with that you are saying that they are viewing worse than what it was.

Obviously wasn’t just me that read it that way but I notice it’s only me you singled out.

As for your snowplowing comment, I could say a lot but I will rise above it :)

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM.

#309 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

I didn’t read the rest. I got annoyed and fired back. I’m over a lot of things right now.

#310 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

sorry expelli.

i’m projecting a lot in my comments - i will own it.

i think kids do need to have the tough conversations. they do need to know that not everything is easy, and handed to them on a silver platter. but i just think those lessons need to be taught in the context of things that matter - numeracy, literacy etc etc. i just can’t see the benefit of running after a ball. and i know coordination is important - and we’ve covered physical activity...i dunno. i’ve just never been hungry for the ball. it’s just a ball..but yeh...this is my baggage talking.

#311 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:05 PM

My mother projected a lot of things into me. It took me longer than it should have to learn who I was.

#312 Lesley225

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostHeather11, on 12 August 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

It just occurred to me that at my children's high school they hold all the competitive swim events on the day prior to the what they then call a 'splash carnival'.  

Those who want to compete can but the rest of the school doesn't sit and watch.

The splash carnival comprises of fun novelty events such as water netball, beach volleyball, bocce, water obstacle course etc.  I think they do end with competitive relays on that day.  The actual splash carnival is compulsory to attend but not participate.

By the size of the list of students who attend the regionals they must get a reasonable number who actually do the competitive swimming.

Does that mean then that you had to sit through two carnivals!

#313 Heather11

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

Gosh no.

My kids don't do the competitive swimming so I don't know how many parents go and watch.

The splash carnival just seems to be a fun day for all the students and I don't think many parents would attend at all.

The athletics day is spread over two days too.  The long distance running and throwing field events on one day the other competitive events and novelty events on the next day.

Once again due to work I haven't attended either.

#314 Lesley225

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

That's a lot of days out of the curriculum though isn't it. 4 days for sports carnivals?

#315 Sincerely

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

View PostLesley225, on 17 August 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

That's a lot of days out of the curriculum though isn't it. 4 days for sports carnivals?

For the ones who qualify further, it's a lot more - 4 days for Cross Country, 8 days for Athletics (CHS is over 3 days). DS also has swimming (2-3), Maths comps (5) & debating (4), there are some weeks where he spends more time off campus than on school campus. The tricky bit is notifying teachers/team managers when there are clashes.

I don't think anything should be compulsory, but I see every thing as an opportunity and I encourage my kids to embrace all of it.

Edited by Sincerely, 17 August 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#316 JRA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

I agree making 2 days for school swimming carnivals and 2 days for aths carnivals does take up more school time, then with cross country, debating, music it adds up.

Taking 2 for aths and swimming does seem like overkill. They can't fit the fun events on the same day as the competitive events?

#317 Navy Blue

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

With respect, the PE teacher mocking and humiliating me in front of other students wasn't all in my head. Neither was him not disciplining the boys making inappropriate sexual comments.

#318 Heather11

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostJRA, on 17 August 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

I agree making 2 days for school swimming carnivals and 2 days for aths carnivals does take up more school time, then with cross country, debating, music it adds up.

Taking 2 for aths and swimming does seem like overkill. They can't fit the fun events on the same day as the competitive events?

It's really only 1 1/2 days.for each.  The competitive swimming is only in the afternoon.  Same with the long distance and field events, only in the afternoon.  If you are not competing you don't miss any school on those days. For the athletics it is on site and you basically go out for your event.  Swimming centre is all of 10 mins from the school.

If you qualify for interschool or regional comps then you would miss more days

One week at primary school my youngest was basically in class for one day one week.  He had an interschool robotics carnival, Wakakirri rehearsal and performance, and then a sporting carnival of some kind on another day.

#319 choccy2

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

My rule was in primary school and year 7 high school, the girls had to participate in some way including carnivals. Even if this was only to cheer on their house teams and do the novelty events.

Neither had any interest or ability in sport, both being more artistic/ drama oriented.

After year 7 all bets we're off.  Athletics and swimming carnivals were a complete waste of time for them and I had no issue with them not wanting to attend.

Both schools had compulsory participation policies.

Sometimes they chose to go, but most times they didn't, which was fine by me. Their time was better spent reading, writing their stories, homework, photography etc. Much more useful than sitting around all day doing nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.