Flat pack failure

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

I am a failure at putting together flat packs. No matter how hard I try I always manage to stuff up putting together flat packs.

Seriously whom ever has the job of writing the flat pack instructions should be fired!

So many steps are missed on the instructions.

Some brands of flat packs have better instructions than others but I still struggle with them

I am a flat pack failure.

#2 chicken_bits

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

:waves:

Me too! Thankfully DH is the flatpack king. I've tried a couple of times to do it on my own and have always defaulted to him.

I was very proud of myself the day I managed to build a kmart cube unit on my own! It's the one and only though!

#3 Hands Up

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:10 PM

We are looking at buying some flat pack stuff. Seriously thinking about putting an ad up on airtasker to get it assembled. Has anyone done this?

#4 petal71

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

This is one big reason I try to find things second hand!

#5 JomoMum

Where do you buy from? The only ones we’ve ever done are Ikea thought and I absolutely love them.

#6 Mands09

I love flat pack. Sorry. :lol:

Read the instructions through once first and then start step by step. But always read one step ahead.

So step one, read step one and step two. Go back and do step one

#7 BornToLove

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

I love putting together flat packs.

Would you consider airtasker? I’m sure there are people willing to assemble your furniture for a small fee. Might be money well spent.

#8 kimasa

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

I love flat packs.
DH does not, and when he decides he's going to start getting good at them we end up with monstrosities like The Leaning Tower of Billy Bookcase.

#9 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:55 PM

I love putting together flat packs.

However, DH (who up until now has been my only help when I need someone to support the other end kind of thing), hates flat-packs and somehow we end up arguing, DH takes over, ****s it up completely (because he has no ability to picture stuff in his head!), we pull it apart and start again.

What should have taken 1 hour ends up taking 4 or more!

Now that DD's uni timetable is looking lighter, I think I'll wrangle her to help as she has no idea, but is able to recognise that she has no idea.

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Another here who loves flatpack.

DH's parents are the same as you, they once spent 4 hours attempting to assemble a bookcase, DH & i called in for some reason or another & we had it assembled within 20 minutes.

Besides mands suggestions (which is also what i do), dont empty the fasteners out of their packets & if its got a stack of parts (looking at you kids slide) i actually lay them out in alphabetical order.

#11 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:07 PM

Ikea is pretty good. Bunnings sucks. Either way I let DH do it so he can grunt and curse to his heart's content.

#12 MooGuru

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:29 PM

I love flat packs. I always finish them and feel like I'm practically a handy man/engineer/carpenter - conveniently forgetting my lack of any other skills whatsoever.
DH who has loads of other skills is about as adept a at Flat Packs as I am at rhythmic gymnastics i.e. not at all. He's totally handy in other ways though.

#13 Quay11

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

Like 3-D jigsaw puzzles :) So much fun :)

#14 JustBeige

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

I also love flatpack. The kids are getting pretty good at it too.

There are a couple of tricks.  Like PP, read and re read the instructions. Also make sure all the listed pieces are there.

If the instructions have been run through google translate then see if there any drawings of the item. Sometimes these are quite detailed and are a better help than the instructions.  Or look at the picture on the box.

Lastly, try the item website or youtube. Sometimes you can find instructions or videos to help :)

#15 TinyGiraffe

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:28 AM

My other flat pack tip is for all the atuff that uses an allan key to assemble.  If you own a drill, get some allan key shaped drill bits so that you can use that instead of fiddling with the allan keys for ages. It's so much faster!

#16 Hands Up

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Sidebar- has anyone bought from Mocka and been happy?

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Some of you need my daughter - she loves it so much she'd come and do it for free.

She put together her own Ikea wardrobe, set of drawers and side table. The only thing she needed help with was lifting the wardrobe.

#18 IamtheMumma

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

You aren't a failure OP. Not all flatpacks are equal. Always keep left over bits for future use.

Ikea is the best. Everything is there and it fits. Great instructions.

Bunnings can be either way and each style is different. We recently built two lots of cubing. One was easy and one was a night mare. No spare bits included so mistakes from crap instructions need to be Macgyvered to make it work.

Aldi is also hit and miss. The instructions can be lost in translation. Parts are usually missing.

Fantastic Furniture is bad, oh so bad. Had to drill holes as some boards didn't have them. Parts missing and instructions that are just pictures with no details.

#19 Mae55

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

I love flatpack. I put together some massive pieces of flat pack furniture when I was 38 weeks pregnant but had to resort to DH’s help to Move them into place when he got home. My 18 month wasn’t very useful at that part!

#20 ytt

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

Just don't get the really tall Pax wardrobe from Ikea :omg:
It sat in our garage for a year before we attempted it. Lots of swear words later and thankful for DS engineering mind the frame got done... I suppose in another 12 months before the doors go on lol

I'm okay at small stuff...

#21 surprisebaby

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

I pay a local handyman to put ours together. Worth every cent.

#22 Crazyone26989

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Love flat packs! I put together a queen sized ikea bed with drawers by myself!

Definitely read ahead and check all parts before you start.

#23 NannyPlum

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostHands Up, on 11 August 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Sidebar- has anyone bought from Mocka and been happy?

I have a TV cabinet and Dds cot from mocka. Pretty happy with the quality - it's about the same as Ikea.

Delivery was pretty quick to WA as well.

#24 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

DH is so good he once assembled a bunkbed that had its instructions missing.

I am completely useless.  I bought a garden storage bin from Aldi.  It had 4 parts.  I still ****ed it up and he had to fix it for me.

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

I love flatpack.   Have assembled everything from small side tables through to beds and dressers.

Only one almost defeated me and it was the basketball hoop we bought DS for Christmas

That thing took us three days to assemble and almost caused DH and I to divorce.  I am not kidding.  It was horrendous.   Thank dog I found a guy on you tube who explained it as the instructions made zero sense.   Like they were written by a toddler, translated into Chinese, then Yugoslavian, to French then English.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.