Flat pack failure

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 #YKG

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

I hate flat pack, ikea now have a service where they’ll put it together for you at selected stores.
Usually I suffer through or have a flat pack party where friends will come over, drink, eat & build lol

#27 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

I’m a flat pack queen. I love it. Dh and I used to do them together and the number of times he has to redo his!

#28 Silver Girl

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostHands Up, on 10 August 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

We are looking at buying some flat pack stuff. Seriously thinking about putting an ad up on airtasker to get it assembled. Has anyone done this?

We advertised on Airtasker for someone to put up our Springfree trampoline. An ex Springfree employee turned up and the tramp was ready in 20 minutes. Marriage saver.

I hate flatpack. I don’t have the skills. DH has skills, but neither of us have the time.

#29 *melrose*

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I can't stand it lol. I always try get it second.

#30 can'tstayaway

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostHands Up, on 10 August 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

We are looking at buying some flat pack stuff. Seriously thinking about putting an ad up on airtasker to get it assembled. Has anyone done this?
Not airtasker but local handymen. Marriage saver.

I enjoy assembling the smaller stuff but things that require 2 people to work together?  No way. DS1 is now big and useful enough to help but he is turning out like me and prefers to do it himself from start to finish. We recently kitted out the youngest’s bedroom with better book and toy storage. I woke up one morning to find DS1 had got up earlier and finished it in peace and quiet lol.

#31 *Ker*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

DS and I put together a pantry from cheap as chips a few years ago. OMG never again! DS is worse than me and has zero idea. It was Not. Fun.

View PostIamtheMumma, on 11 August 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

Fantastic Furniture is bad, oh so bad. Had to drill holes as some boards didn't have them. Parts missing and instructions that are just pictures with no details.

I have a 6 foot bookshelf from Fantastic and it was so easy! DD helped me.

View Postytt, on 11 August 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just don't get the really tall Pax wardrobe from Ikea :omg:
It sat in our garage for a year before we attempted it. Lots of swear words later and thankful for DS engineering mind the frame got done... I suppose in another 12 months before the doors go on lol

Thanks for that. I have 2 pax robes to put together. I've been procrastinating.

#32 andyk

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

I’m useless at flatpack but my best friend is freaking awesome at it. I supply the wine and the second set of hands and she does all the assembly.
Mind you, I haven’t told her yet that DD’s Christmas present is a high bunk bed with desk under that come in flat pack..!

#33 ytt

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

View Post*Ker*, on 12 August 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Thanks for that. I have 2 pax robes to put together. I've been procrastinating.

There are two heights of the PAX wardrobe, sadly we bought the one that clears the ceiling by about 1cm (ie the tallest). You can't build it on the floor, you have to build it standing up. The only way you can do it is with a very tall ladder and some one strong enough to hold the top up. DH and DS was doing the holding and couldn't manage.... I swapped and did the holding no problems (I am fitter due to having a puppy that NEEDS walking once or sometimes twice a day!!)

#34 Sancti-claws

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 11 August 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Some of you need my daughter - she loves it so much she'd come and do it for free.

She put together her own Ikea wardrobe, set of drawers and side table. The only thing she needed help with was lifting the wardrobe.
Well done!!!  My daughter fell in love with flat packs instantly when we found one that had been in my mother's wardrobe for about 15 years awaiting construction - picture had disappeared so it was like a mystery object with only diagrams and Chinese characters to decifer.

Agree - check all contents and lay them out in a logical order.  Sort the bits of wood so you can see which is A etc (about 80% of the stickers had removed themselves, so it was really a case of find what was marked and work it out backwards).

#35 *Ker*

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

ytt, on 12 August 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

There are two heights of the PAX wardrobe, sadly we bought the one that clears the ceiling by about 1cm (ie the tallest). You can't build it on the floor, you have to build it standing up. The only way you can do it is with a very tall ladder and some one strong enough to hold the top up. DH and DS was doing the holding and couldn't manage.... I swapped and did the holding no problems (I am fitter due to having a puppy that NEEDS walking once or sometimes twice a day!!)

Yep that's the ones I have here. Grrr. I don't even own a ladder!!

#36 can'tstayaway

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

*Ker*, on 14 August 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yep that's the ones I have here. Grrr. I don't even own a ladder!!
Yep, I paid for someone to construct the frames. The internal bits are easy but the frames were a right PITA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.