To say something or not?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

You've started a new course. You are paying 6K of your own money to do the course. During the first module, you find a number of errors. You know they are errors as your previous career was in a related field and you worked under the standards the course information is referencing.

Do you say something to the people who run the course? They are the organisation/association for the career.

#2 JBH

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

I would say something, but not by way of “correction”.

For example, start by saying “dear course coordinator, I am a student enrolled in ...  As I review the course outline, there are some questions that arise and I was hoping you might be able to assist me in reconciling my understanding against the information provided.” Then go on to cite what they have said, and set out your understanding. See what they come back with.

#3 AliasMater

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

This was me when doing my degree. I found so many errors and I would often call them out. I did it in the nicest possible way, privately, and as an 'I think there is an error, or 'is this an error', not 'that is an error' - which I knew it was but also knew my place as a student.

It never really worked well for me. Academics don't like to be told they're wrong or have their mistakes pointed out to them by undergrads.

In the end, unless I lost marks for it, I let it go.

#4 Chamomile

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Could be helpful to have a paper trail in case you decide to leave the course and ask for a refund.

#5 Gonzy

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

What kind of errors are we talking about?

Grammatical, sentence structure, punctuation etc or actual errors of facts or information which could substantially alter the outcome of learning and grades?

If it's the former I would absolutely not worry about mentioning it, if the latter though then yes, definitely worth raising.

ETA:  Paying your own money for the course is only in my opinion relevant if you are not getting accurate information for the actual teaching/learning component.  Beyond year 12 we all generally pay for any further education so that factor isn't the part that would make me reconsider the course as such, the accuracy of information (not spelling or the like) would.

Edited by Gonzy, 12 August 2019 - 01:23 PM.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

agree with gonzy.

As for how, id arrange a meeting with the lecturer & mention how you have had significant exposure in your previos job to this piece of legislation and you would like some clarrification on a few points as what has happened in practice is very different.

I knw when i do was doing post-grad study there were a few things raised in one subject (auditing) & myself and a couple lf the other auditors in the room would often point out that what the textbook answer was, doesnt happen in practice.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

It is the content of a foundation module. This is information people are supposed to build upon. It shows that the course hasn't been reviewed in the last 2-3 years as standards have changed. Then there is information that is just wrong. I am concerned the information I'll be learning will be out of date and/or incorrect.

I mentioned payment as people usually will comment that if it is a free or subsidised course, well what do you expect.

#8 Treasure Island

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:20 PM

I would. My DS1 is doing distance ed and the amount of errors I have to deal with is irritating. Not just in content but instructions as well because teachers have been too lazy to check and update their material. Eg: please watch X movie which will be sent in the mail, contact teacher if not received. *Contacts teacher* the students have to source their own copy of the movie. Ok but that is literally the opposite of the instructions given :/

#9 opethmum

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

If it is a critical piece of legislation/standards, then absolutely you should raise it privately in writing to the lecturer and if no joy then it should be escalated up the learning management chain. It is not good enough to be learning outdated information which is critical to the qualification. If you were doing a historical application of the module then that would be fine however if it is keeping up to date and learning what you need to know to keep your education and skills current for the workplace that is something to be onto the lecturer on.

If it is serious breach or could lead to serious incidents in the workplace e.g. workplace safety or malpractice suit then I would discontinue the course and would want a refund and take your business elsewhere and complain to the ASQA.
https://www.asqa.gov.au/complaints

#10 Prancer is coming

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:50 PM

I think I would.  6k is a lot.  To tell you the truth, it would have me wondering about if the course was a bit shonky.  Some typos or minor human error stuff I would not nit pick over, but if it is to do with learning wrong info, I think you need to say something.

It is not one of those private colleges that offer similar courses to TAFE or uni but charge a lot of money is it?  I do get a bee in my bonnet about them and have found the practices of a few quite shady.

#11 Gonzy

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

Yep, if it's the content then absolutely worth raising.

No course is ever really free - it may be for the user, but is certainly being subsidised by someone so regardless of where the money is coming from, if the content is wrong, it's wrong and not acceptable.

#12 ~TSC~

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

When it is standards, I definitely would raise it for the benefit of others as much as anything. If someone is expected to work to that standard and it’s out of date, that’s a huge issue.

#13 winterbabies

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

If I were another student completing this course, and went in to the work force believing that what I had been taught was correct when in fact it wasn’t (and had someone in the know point that out) I would then be questioning the entire course and feeling like I would have to double check everything, not to mention being embarrassed and upset that I’d paid to be taught incorrectly.

I think you would be doing yourself and the other students a great service to say something - whilst that may be really difficult and perhaps not well received, people will definitely benefit and if they knew would also be really grateful to you for pointing it out!

Edited by winterbabies, 14 August 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#14 Prancer is coming

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

View PostGonzy, on 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yep, if it's the content then absolutely worth raising.

No course is ever really free - it may be for the user, but is certainly being subsidised by someone so regardless of where the money is coming from, if the content is wrong, it's wrong and not acceptable.

What I was meaning is I have found some private colleges do some dodgy things and appear unregulated.  At least with TAFE and uni you know the courses are to a certain standard.

#15 Noodlez

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

I would question it. You are paying good money and as such I think it is fair to expect correct information is provided. It might be an oversight or out of date information. How they respond I think will give you an indication of the quality of the course.

#16 kimasa

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

I'm kind of sitting on this conundrum but not the same right now.

I have a colleague who I am mentoring who is completing her library technician diploma, I've seen a lot of the course content because English is not her first language and she sometimes needs clarification on things, and some of those things turn out not to be a language barrier, it's because it's out of date information that she's getting confused with because we are up to date at work.

#17 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

I rang today and spoke to the educational officer. She was grateful and appreciated the feedback.

I've yet to hand in my first assessment piece so we'll see how I do :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.