Kids & Screen time rules? Spin off

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 cstar

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

DS18 - only thing he does is put his phone in the study when he goes to bed, it's become a habit for all of us, no one takes phones into their rooms.

DD13 and DS13, they can go on tv/ipads/nintendo after school once homework/walk dog/chores are done.  They go to bed around 9 and read for about 1/2 hour. They also do after school activities a few days a week each and sport on Saturday morning.

On weekends it's up to them, I do encourage them to go for walks, ride bikes, go in the kitchen and do some cooking etc.

#27 JomoMum

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

DS 6yo has no devices, nor uses ours.

School days, he gets up and turns tv on at 7 until 8.10, so we have plenty of time to get dressed and packed to be out the door by 8.40.

Afternoons, probably for half an hour before dinner, but no real set rules. Occasionally he’ll lay in our bed before his bed time and watch some tv quietly.

Weekends/holidays are no real set times or rules either. Sometimes it’s on all day, others not at all. It’s only ever abc kids, sbs food or 9life (building/Reno/real estate shows)

#28 Thylacine

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Almost none on weekdays, probably too much on weekends

#29 Chicken Pie

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

Thanks all...interesting takes and quite broad

#30 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

No gaming during the week (school days),

Otherwise, free access.

High school-aged kids,

#31 MsLaurie

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

DD aged 4 usually watches a bit of abckids in the morning- on kinder days usually just Bluey and whatever is before/after (depending on timing of waking up etc), on non-kinder days she can watch for a while, up until Playschool is finished if we don’t have anywhere to be. Occasionally she’ll watch a couple of shows at around 5pm when i’m getting her dinner sorted/wrangling the baby.
Weekends she’ll often watch a DVD or two (we have a big Disney etc collection), or some Netflix (supermonsters is the favourite). I am miraculously unable to operate Netflix so that has to wait for dad 🤷‍♀️
iPad she only has a few apps, it’s mainly a treat to keep her occupied at cafes or similar, although we recently downloaded a few speech therapy apps and have been letting her play with those more often.

#32 Chicken Pie

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 12 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Primary school kids here (12yo and 10yo)

iPad screentime cuts off at 8:30pm on school nights, 11:00pm on Fri/Sat nights. No ipad/tv allowed in the morning when getting ready for school unless they are all packed and ready to go (if it turns out they aren't as ready as they think & we end up waiting for them, they lose their ipad privileges that afternoon/night). They can go on their ipad after school once chores have been done and homework has been completed.

On the weekend, they go on their devices as much as they can, but they play sport and we always have at least one family activity each weekend, so while it feels constant, it's not.

Neither of the kids use the TV much, except if they are practising their dancing using YouTube clips.

Devices get confiscated if they behave badly,whinge about chores or don't get homework done. DD1 finishes off a one-week ban tonight for whinging about doing the washing up last week.

so what chores do they do in the week as part of this?

#33 froglett

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

I've got small kids (3 yr old and 6 yr old). They're allowed ABC kids on Friday after school. DS sometimes has reading eggs / mathletics as part of homework so will do that on the ipad as needed. Occasionally (if I can't be bothered to parent) they might have it on Sat nights.

We'll all watch a movie together on Sunday night. Other than that, that's it.

But we have an older DSS (now 21) and he had/has a complete addiction to devices so that might be shaping our approach now.

#34 Fourteenyears

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Kids are 14 and 10

We rarely turn the TV on Mon-Fri.  Sometimes the kids watch an hour or so of it each day on the weekends.

The rule here is that devices are only for homework Mon-Thurs, although I have recently started allowing them to be used for streaming music too.

Computer gaming/youtube time is limited to an hour a day Fri-Sun and school holidays.

The kids sometimes pool their hours and have two hours each with two-player games and that is fine with me.

I am always up for renegotiation, but I don’t really have to enforce these rules as it is.  The kids seem happy with them and we are all so busy anyway.

#35 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

6 and 8.  They have tv and Nintendo switch. No ipads.  The rules are mainly around having breaks and having a balance of other activities (eg outdoor time). But if its hailing outside I let them play just dance for a while as a form of exercise.

If they want to watch stuff on youtube they have to ask us.

They might get an hour a day after school of tv and on the weekend a movie. DD8 would watch tv all night if we let her but we tell her to give her eyes a break after an hour.

IXL maths, reading eggs and code.org they can do whenever they want.

ETA - DS (baby) I will be trying to avoid tv as much as possible until he is 2.  I know it will be easier said than done but the older 2 only ever saw it at other people's houses until 2.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 12 August 2019 - 04:20 PM.

#36 MrsCee

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

7 and 8 yo.

No screens from Monday to Friday afternoon after school.

Allowed weekends, but only a couple of hours in the morning and an hour or so between bath and dinner time.

Never ever after dinner (so 1-2 hours before bed).

No gaming consoles (despite being offered one + games for free).

Only exception... international flights.

#37 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostChicken Pie, on 12 August 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

so what chores do they do in the week as part of this?
empty dishwasher/drainer & put all clean stuff away

After dinner/breakfast - clean up table/bench, load dishwasher, doing washing up

feed/water chickens, collect eggs and clean the poop out of the coop

empty recycling/rubbish when needed

put clean laundry away (put away properly, not shoved into a single drawer or dumped on the floor in the wardrobe)

About once a month I harass them to clean their rooms (vacuum, dust, clean things off the floor).

According to DD1, we work them like slaves!

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 12 August 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#38 halcyondays

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

Mine rarely watch TV and even then it is usually to watch youtube clips of something like " a short explanation of WWII"
They spend a lot of time on screens generally. Probably 1.5 hours on 3 weeknights (the other nights are busy with sport and after care), and 3-4 hours each day on weekends.
A lot of it is school work related- the upper primary child's maths homework is largely online, and they make videos and use basic design software for various projects. They also do a fair amount of research online. Older boy is also into chess, and does online tutorials, plays other people etc.

The younger one, I restrict a bit as he is crazy for various games. He does some maths homework, and listens to music via his iPad. He also plays chess online.

They all turn off the screens from dinner time, although I will let the older one go for longer if he is mid project.
No screens before school.

The line between "entertainment" and learning is blurred, so I do need to monitor what they are doing, rather than having blanket rules for time spent on screens.

#39 kimasa

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

A 6yr old.

We don't have rules around timing. I figure she does a lot of things, she goes to school, she does gymnastics, she has piano lessons, she's forever bugging the crap out of the cat, she will sit and draw for hours. She doesn't have enough time for me to consider limiting it.

She has an old hand me down ipad of my Mum's and the apps she has on it are 90% library apps. She's been enjoying BusyCode lately, which is good because I set up the trial version on there for her before we purchased it to gague how easy to use (or easy to get to somewhere you don't want with) it is for kids. She's the guniea pig for kids eresources for my work.

Only rule we really have is no ipad in the bedroom at night and it's your responsibility to remember to charge it, not ours.

Edited by kimasa, 12 August 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#40 petal71

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

V "young" 8yo. He has up to an hour of TV on a day when there's no afterschool sport or playdate etc. Probably 3-4x/week. Also 30 mins of a maths-based computer game / day.
Occasionally the TV will be substituted for a movie. No ipad. There would be a few You-tubes or "mum can I look up something on your phone?" episodes but I keep these to <10 mins. Luckily he's a very active kid but he's also a touch obsessive so would play the computer game much longer if we let him.

Edited by petal71, 12 August 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#41 MGB

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

No TV from Monday-Friday. We will sometimes have a movie night Friday. The kids watch TV over the weekend, depending what else we have on. They turn the TV on first thing over the weekend.
Holidays they watch some TV each day.
We stopped YouTube viewing a few months ago.

Ours are still quite young so I know it will change as they get older and ask to watch more.

#42 bikingbubs

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

My kids are 7&8. The internet magically turns off at my house at 6 every night. 3 nights a week we aren't home until late anyway so they have no screen time then. Other than that, I'm pretty relaxed about it when we are home on the weekends, because it's rare we are home for ages at a time. Works well for us.

#43 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Dd is 9
No restrictions

She self regulates pretty well. Had her own tablet since 5 and got a tv in her room this year for her birthday, so now she can have the wiiu in her room.
Its rare I have to take the tablet due to bad behaviour, just saying it is enough to get her to change.
She knows I look through her tablet whenever I want and have it set so i get emailed any new signups or attempts at payments.
Can work Netflix like a pro lol

#44 lizzzard

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Two tweens - DD12 and DS11.

No real rules. Both kids are on their devices quite alot but I don't feel like it impacts their behaviour.

They both (but perhaps moreso DS) had a phase where they had to learn to take a break if they were getting frustrated by a game. I 'helpfully' put a sign up next to the tv saying 'If you're getting mad, take a break!' :p These days I see them doing this quite proactively.

I don't really seem to have a problem getting them off devices either. I tell them 5 minutes before I need them to do something. DD never needs to be told twice. DS sometimes asks (politely) if he can finish his game or watching the show and if its only 5 or 10 mins its fine (otherwise I say no any he's generally fine too!).

One thing I have noticed is DS has an incredible general knowledge. Inevitably when I ask him how on earth he know some random fact, he tells me he saw it on YouTube. However he also watches more 'mindless' things...one of his favourites is a YouTube channel on Entitled Parents (he's a weird child :p)

I'm waiting for this seemingly peaceful coexistence with technology to all come crashing down...

Edited by lizzzard, 12 August 2019 - 09:04 PM.

#45 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

yes i’ve often had to time out my younger son on his device when he gets frustrated - he was
playing  minecraft - presumably on a server or something as there were other people playing too and they were destroying his buildings - he was getting increasingly upset so i had to say to him “are you having fun? are you enjoying this? you can walk away...” - and he did, thankfully.

#46 Holly298

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

DS only has an iPad , only allowed on it Friday and Sundays , in school holidays allowed on it if some form of sport/activity was done during the day (easy as he’s always riding his bike or swimming!) and all his chores are done

#47 Sincerely

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:29 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 12 August 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

One thing I have noticed is DS has an incredible general knowledge. Inevitably when I ask him how on earth he know some random fact, he tells me he saw it on YouTube. However he also watches more 'mindless' things...one of his favourites is a YouTube channel on Entitled Parents (he's a weird child :p)

I have a 14 y.o. nephew with the worldly knowledge & political cynicism that I would have only expected to find in a thirty year old. He watches a LOT of YouTube.

#48 Rummonkey

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:43 AM

No tv restrictions, but no iPad time (took that away about 8 months ago and haven’t looked back- made them feral). We’re very active as a family so I don’t care if they watch tv during the day.

#49 Sincerely

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

Our kids have had iPads with wi-fi & other devices without restrictions since they were four. I regard them as essential communication & learning tools. The kids have very active lives. By choice, DS spends most of his time playing the piano, composing music (although he's never had a formal music lesson, he has learnt from the Internet how to deconstruct & analyse any music piece in ways that eight years of music lessons have never taught me how to do) and honing his speedcubing (always carries a speedcube) and rarely plays electronic games. He uses the Internet to research chord progressions, mathematical theorems, and to develop his track & field techniques (state level at several events training only by himself), so he is a living testimony to the utility of the Internet.

ETA: Contrary to many reports & anecdotes, DS was an unmanageable child until he had access to the Internet. When I asked him a few years later if he could remember why he used to misbehave, he said he just remembered always being bored. The Internet appeared to be the remedy.

Edited by Sincerely, 13 August 2019 - 09:38 AM.

#50 Hands Up

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

Kids are three and five.

They don’t have access to devices. They do however watch a lot of ABC kids.... probably an hour in the morning, half an hour in the lead up to dinner and half an hour after bath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.