Kids & Screen time rules? Spin off

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 seayork2002

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

View PostSincerely, on 12 August 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

I have a 14 y.o. nephew with the worldly knowledge & political cynicism that I would have only expected to find in a thirty year old. He watches a LOT of YouTube.

I do find myself drawn into what DS listens too sometimes sometimes, sure a lot of it sends me to sleep but I learn quite a bit myself from it.

He sits near where I do the dishes

#52 marple

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

My 7yo knows random things and speaks with quite adult phrases ( not rude  just things like "son of a gun") . Thats's mostly from youtube. Every so often I have to tell him to turn off a game if it is too old for him or if he is getting frustrated.
Not telling the amount of hours - way too many ;)

One rule is no tv or devices in the bedroom until at least high school.

#53 annodam

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostRummonkey, on 13 August 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

No tv restrictions, but no iPad time (took that away about 8 months ago and haven’t looked back- made them feral). We’re very active as a family so I don’t care if they watch tv during the day.

I wish I could take my sons iPad away, unfortunately it's a requirement for school.
I abhor devices for PS kids!

I need to add this in too, a friend has an 11yo who watches A LOT of YouTube, so much so he has developed an American accent!

Edited by annodam, 13 August 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#54 No Drama Please

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

^^ lol I remember when everyone’s kids were tiny half ended up with English accents. We thought it was because of the daycare teacher but it was actually from pepa pig!

#55 BeAwesome

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

7 year old:  ADHD, wildly obsessed with getting screen time.  She uses my laptop.    She gets 20 min 2 x weekdays to get homework requirements done (typing program, maths game), and I typically let her have an extra half hour on Fri afternoon of whatever she wants (more maths, Scratch, YouTube typically).  She gets a couple of hours of Nintendo Switch time on weekend, and she did have an iPad, which wé're replacing with a new tablet that can connect so she can join the family on Pokemon Go outings.

11 year old:  Has school laptop, all homework and assignments typically online.  She spends an hour or so doing schoolwork on it, and usually another hour once a week for leisure.  Not hugely obsessed with getting screen time, turns off when told, doesn't pester for it.  She recently got my old mobile, currently only uses for Pokemon.

I don't limit TV time, although I don't let either binge for hours on end of any particular show.  I try and give the kids an even split of what they're watching, they do fight over what's on, and I make them turn it off if they can't agree.

Both kids have a separate device for accessing Spotify, elder DD has no restrictions, younger DD has language filter.

#56 Bigbaubles

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

If it was up to me, then there would be pretty much no tv or devices for our 3 year old.

Hubby and my parents are far more lenient.

She might watch one movie on a Sunday afternoon if we've had a big weekend, and sometimes my parents let her watch a movie or part of a movie. Sometimes I might put on an episode of bluey or playschool if we've had a big day.

We've gone 3-4 weeks with nothing, quite regularly.

Absolutely no devices with the one exception of long plane rides (which has only happened twice).

I have two members of extended family with serious technology addictions and also from what I see from teh kids that I teach, so i'm a bit paranoid about it.  
Plus, she's quite happily jsut as entertained reading her books, or play doh or colouring in etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.