Help me make potato cakes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ytt

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

Okay so I love love to bake cakes - have made 200 cupcakes and a 'cut cake' for one order ( a few times, with dietry requirements) plus making heaps of birthday, engagement cakes etc.

Also for a time I ran the school canteen for over 400 students baking from scratch.

I only say this because it shows that I know how to cook. I have the most amazing kitchen and I love being in it.....

One thing I can't make is potato cakes :(  I often have left over smashed potatoes (don't mash, has skin in it and yummy lumps).

Tonight I have left over mash, I accidently put too much sour cream in it so it's a bit 'sloppy'.

Please help me make potato cakes for dinner tomorrow or next day. How do I make potato cakes?
TIA

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

Only if I can come.

Your cakes have come up in conversations before, they sound amazing.

#3 JBH

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Beat a couple of eggs, stir those in, then stir in flour to bind but not make too stiff. Add plenty of salt and pepper as you combine. Fry gently for long enough to get crunchy on The outside and hot all the way through.

Edit: be generous with the oil.

Edited by JBH, 12 August 2019 - 07:16 PM.

#4 rosie28

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

They’re usually made with slices of potato I think, not mashed...

You could do patties though?

#5 JBH

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

View Postrosie28, on 12 August 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

This is I think a matter of interstate translation. I believe you are thinking of what is known in NSW as a potato scallop (slice of potato, battered and deep fried). A NSW potato cake is the same as a potato patty. If the potato were grated I would call it roesti, if in small pieces then a hash brown.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

I think this is a case of interstate terminology.

If it’s really gloopy op, you can add some breadcrumbs to the outside to help hold them together.

#7 Arthur or Martha

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

I've made this before:
I cup of mash
2 heaped tablespoon SR flour + 1 tspoon of baking powder
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper
Mix together, then put on a floured surface. Knead if required and roll out.
Either use a scone cutter and fry or
put in patty pans and bake.
Cook until golden brown.

#8 Etta

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

You could make potato scones. Google as I may not have it quite right but I think you would just add some flour then cook them in a skillet with no oil (from memory).

#9 mayahlb

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

It’s the egg and flour ratio that’s the hard part. Ive never put sour cream in mine. Oh and we call ours bubble and squeak ;)

Very roughly because I don’t really follow a recipe is about the following ratio
1c mash:2-3tbsp flour:1 large egg. You need a mix that’s somewhere in between cupcake and muffin if that makes sense. It’s also depends on how wet your mash is. I tend to not use milk or cream in my mash but a lot of butter. If I put cream in my mash I’d want more flour.

#10 BBC

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

Or turn it in to tuna or salmon patties!

About 2 cups potato (or more)
1 tin tuna or salmon (large)
Chopped spring onion
1 egg
Parsley
Salt and pepper.

Stir all together. Add some mayo or more egg if it is dry. Form into patties.
Coat in crumbs of choice or just dust with flour.
Fry - turning gently until heated through and crisp on the outside.
Or put them on an oiled sheet of baking paper on a tray and spray with cooking spray. Bake until firm and a bit browned. Won't be as crispy but easier and no flipping required.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

^^ leave out the green stuff and roll it in breadcrumbs and that makes amazing crab cakes according to my kids. (DH makes them with the “leftovers” he’s pried from the mudcrab shells)

#12 ytt

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Yes this is what I want :)

Thank you everyone.... Now another question can I freeze the mash before I make it into patties? I didn't get around to making it tonight and we have the dentist tomorrow night so will get take away.

I can't wait to make them

I won't do tuna as DD and DH won't like it but I do have baked streaky bacon in it :yes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.