Bathroom tiles - shoe marks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hi hoping I could get some help here. My bathroom tiles are beige and everytime I wash them, within seconds of the floor being walked on you can see shoe prints and the tiles go black very quickly.

What am I doing wrong? I use bleach in warm water to wash them.

Edited by chillipeppers, 13 August 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#2 jayskette

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

dirty shoes? stone tiles becoming porous? dirty cleaning water?

#3 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

My shoes are clean. They’re porcelain tiles. Do they become porous? If so how do I fix it? The water is definitely clean.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

Don't wear shoes inside?

Is the floor dry before you walk on it?

#5 lizzzard

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

Our apartment has white tiles throughout. We had the same problem. I instituted a rule of slippers only in the house, and the problem was solved. Even ‘clean’ shoes will carry dirt

#6 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

These are the tiles

Attached Files

#7 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

The floor is dry before I walk on it. I would love a no shoes policy but it’s unrealistic when people come over.

#8 jayskette

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

maybe the tiles and grout need to be resealed?

#9 ~J_WTF~

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Don’t wear shoes inside...

I don’t care if people wear shoes inside my house, do as you please but I have certainly been to houses where there was no shoes and shoes on rules.

It’s your house, you get to set the rules!!

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 13 August 2019 - 04:09 PM.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Honestly no shoes in the house is a cultral norm for quite a few countries. Think of all the dirt, poo and other nasties being trampled through your house. Put a shoe rack at your door. My family is European and we always where made to take our shoes off. And the number of times we found something smelly on the bottom.

#11 cvbn

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

I live on a farm, no shoes in our house!

#12 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

When we have people over we usually are out in the back yard and when people need to go to the toilet they walk in with their shoes on. I only have tiles in the bathrooms, I have floorboards everywhere else so the issue is only in the bathrooms

#13 Jenflea

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

It looks from the picture like maybe there's a coating that's worn off maybe.

#14 alfoil hat

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Sometimes DH uses a truckload of floor cleaner in the mop bucket, so the solution is way too strong. Once it’s dry it’s almost ‘sticky’ and can easily mark. Maybe it’s that?

#15 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

View Postalfoil hat, on 13 August 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

Sometimes DH uses a truckload of floor cleaner in the mop bucket, so the solution is way too strong. Once it’s dry it’s almost ‘sticky’ and can easily mark. Maybe it’s that?
I might go over it with just water tonight to see if it makes a difference.

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

Is it just marks in product residue? I only use water or water with a dash of vinegar because I find floor products leave a coating that easily marks. It doesn’t matter if you wear shoes or not - no shoes just means a foot print instead of a shoe print.

ETA - just saw your last post sorry. You might need to mop several times with really hot water to get rid of the residue. It can take a bit of effort if there’s a build up.

Edited by EmmDasher, 13 August 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#17 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 13 August 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Is it just marks in product residue? I only use water or water with a dash of vinegar because I find floor products leave a coating that easily marks. It doesn’t matter if you wear shoes or not - no shoes just means a foot print instead of a shoe print.
yes you can see footprints as well. I might be using too much bleach.

Edited by chillipeppers, 13 August 2019 - 09:11 PM.

#18 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the tip emmdasher. I guess I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow

#19 Jenflea

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:50 PM

I can't recall the last time I mopped the bathroom.
I have 2 bath mats, they keep the floor clean by covering almost the entire(tiny) bathroom floor.
Maybe get a mat or 2.

#20 Paddlepop

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

Doesn't bleach make things porous?

Try a different cleaning product instead of bleach.

Do you have doormats at the back door for people to wipe their shoes on?

I'd be introducing a no shoes inside rule.

#21 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

I was going to add maybe get some mats to put out when you have guests over to avoid marks and chuck in the wash afterwards.

#22 nasty buddha

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

Try vinegar diluted in water rather than bleach to get the soap residue off??

I can understand the annoyance OP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.