Book Week Ideas for Older Kids

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 BeAwesome

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

My 11 year old is seriously dragging her feet about picking a book week costume.

Does anyone have any ideas for inspiration?  Preferably something that can be thrown together cheaply / easily.  

She's always been a big reader, but really struggling to find things to interest her at the moment, hence not having any ideas herself.    She doesn't want to be anyone from Harry Potter because "that's what everyone else is doing".

#2 chillipeppers

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

Harley Quinn costumes are selling at bigw at the moment and it goes with the reading is my superpower theme (superhero/superpower).

#3 BornToLove

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

Are there any classics that she liked? Perhaps a book that’s been made into a movie so she visually knows what she will need for costume?

DD recently read Charlotte’s Web and has decided to go as Fern. Last year she went as Matilda.

#4 Heather11

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

As a staff group we are going as different Dr Whos.

#5 barrington

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

I'm trying to convince DD2 to go as the Terrible Triplets from World's Worst Children with her two besties.

#6 Smoo

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

DS is going as percy jackson
the annabeth costume would be almost identical - orange t-shirt and jeans

#7 Tyfle Hour

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

In this house we will have a Frodo, Paddington Bear and a character from The Cupcake Diaries (normal clothes with an apron!).

It might be worth her thinking about her fav picture books from when she was younger.  Put it to her that she would be inspiring the littlies. Some suggestions: Madeline. a Mister Men or Little Miss character, Olivia (the pig) Stripey leggings and a simple tutu with pig ears nose and tail, The Paper Bag Princess

Other ideas that tend to be popular at that age:
Tom Weekly (here's as mask to print out)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (again there are masks)
Where's wally
Other 'normal' kids that just require normal clothes but with something extra added to show who they are.

Pinterest is great for inspiration.

#8 FloralArrangement

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

I’m stuck 11 year old boy and 10 year old girl. I’ve done paper bag princess and the dragon, thing 1 thing 2, Wally and Wanda, last year a pirate and Alice in Wonderland.

#9 magic_marker

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Do you have a Lombards near you?
I wonder if they have their catalogue online.
Costumes for around the $20-25 mark.

#10 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

Over the last few years, my girls have gone as :
Honey (from the Trixie Belden book series)
Catniss (Hunger Games)
Scarlett & Ivy
Annabelle from Percy Jackson books

Thankfully we have passed the fairy/princess phase.

#11 BBC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

Pippi Longstocking
The cat in the hat

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Is 11 to young for Anne of Green Gables?

#13 JBH

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Some of the older kids at our school dressed as characters from very small children’s books, as a laugh I imagine, and using very simple costumes. For example, we had Slinky Malinki (wearing black, ears on a headband and eyeliner whiskers), Spot (brown trousers and school yellow polo with large cardboard ears), Angelina Ballerina (ballet outfit, ears on a headband, eyeliner whiskers and black nose).

#14 lizzzard

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostTyfle Hour, on 13 August 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

It might be worth her thinking about her fav picture books from when she was younger.  Put it to her that she would be inspiring the littlies

What a  lovely idea :)

#15 kimasa

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I spent a bit if time trying to find an available book today for a kid who was adamant that he was going as Zeus, because his school requires them to bring the book in (which is odd, but okay).

So, mythological figure?

#16 Quick hedgehog

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

Friday Barnes,. jeans, a hat and a magnifying glass

#17 frazzle

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

Kimasa - any of the Percy Jackson books

#18 missminx

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Harriet from Harriet the Spy?

#19 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:02 AM

View Postfrazzle, on 13 August 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

Kimasa - any of the Percy Jackson books

Yeah, all out on loan. Those are hardly ever on the shelves, it's just an ongoing reservation list.

We ended up settling on an obscure graphic novel of the Greek myths. Should arrive at our branch this morning.

#20 ~Kay~

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

We've also done Fern from Charlotte's web with a fake Spider and a toy pig.

EJ12 http://ej12girlhero.com/ you can print out a spy card online and can use walkie talkies, binoculars etc

Matilda from Roald Dahl. Blue/denim dress. Red ribbon. Lizard/newt in a glass or water bottle.

Fancy Nancy if you're doing a throw back to younger years.

#21 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 13 August 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Harley Quinn costumes are selling at bigw at the moment and it goes with the reading is my superpower theme (superhero/superpower).
Harley Quinn is a victim of abuse, I really wish women and girls wouldn’t play her.

#22 .Jerry.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

Another who did Fern from Charlotte's Web.  Jeans, checked shirt, plastic spider in shirt pocket, stuffed toy pig under arm. ;)

Alternatively, no costume.  I think some kids do "grow out" of book character dressing up.

#23 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:57 AM

yes ^ indeed. instead of going as a character go as the reader...ie, you!

#24 chillipeppers

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 14 August 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

Harley Quinn is a victim of abuse, I really wish women and girls wouldn’t play her.
really? I’ve never watched the movie so I have no clue about who she is. I thought she was a superhero.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

Ds has no idea. Currently reading only Weirdo, wimpy kid and choose your own adventures. He does also like Pokémon graphic novels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.