Book Week Ideas for Older Kids

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

my DS (year 2) is going as dog man....a spin off character from captain underpants

#27 cakeys_mummy

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

Mine is going as the cat from the kids book My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, in a big box the clothes dryer came in.

#28 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 14 August 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

really? I’ve never watched the movie so I have no clue about who she is. I thought she was a superhero.

She's an antihero, The Joker's girlfriend/ sidekick. Her back story is she was a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum where she met the Joker and decided to join him.

She has been made into a hero to appeal to young girls but she orginally is super sexualized and rather dark.

The Prep teachers at DS's school dressed up as witches for Book week. So could be Bad Jelly, any fairy tale witch etc. They went full out with wigs as well.

#29 ali-song

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

View PostJBH, on 13 August 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Some of the older kids at our school dressed as characters from very small children’s books, as a laugh I imagine, and using very simple costumes. For example, we had Slinky Malinki (wearing black, ears on a headband and eyeliner whiskers), Spot (brown trousers and school yellow polo with large cardboard ears), Angelina Ballerina (ballet outfit, ears on a headband, eyeliner whiskers and black nose).

My DS (then 12) went as the green sheep a couple of years ago. Green clothing and some green hair chalk, and he was one of the costume winners. :)

#30 BeAwesome

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.  She decided to be Spider Gwen, she's got the graphic novel.  She wanted to dress up for SupaNova this year, so she'll get a few wears.

My 7 year old has wanted to go as Jill from the Treehouse books.  Last year she was Lil Petey from Dogman.

#31 seayork2002

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

DS is in year 6 so he wants to go out with a bang, he is going as Vectus (sp?) from Minecraft

No not a true book character I know! but this is the first time he actually wants a costume so he is going as that.

Is there a character from a game series she wants (they usually have books these days alongside)

#32 annodam

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

Do you blame her?
Dumb, dumb concept!

#33 rainne

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

A couple of DD's 11 year old friends are going very literally as books. As in, cardboard boxes with pictures of their favourite book on the front.

#34 Little Bean

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

My DD (year 2) is going as Matilda.
Very easy to put together and I think it fits in nicely with the reading is my secret power theme.

Edited because I put super power - but it's secret power, isn't it?

Edited by Little Bean, 14 August 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#35 Meelah

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

My 9yo daughter is going as Slinky Malinky this year.  Black top & leggins, cat ears (I found a ready-made headband at the Reject Shop) and I made a tail out of black stockings.
We'll draw some whiskers on her that morning. Very easy :)

#36 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 14 August 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

really? I’ve never watched the movie so I have no clue about who she is. I thought she was a superhero.
No, she’s a villain who was brainwashed into being one by an abuser. It’s not a healthy model for girls.

#37 PuddingPlease

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 14 August 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

Harley Quinn is a victim of abuse, I really wish women and girls wouldn’t play her.

I can understand that but it does depend a bit on which version of the character you are talking about. My understanding is that she appeared first in a Batman cartoon series and I don't think the back-story depicted for her was any darker than for any other DC villain. There was a comic series from the early 2000's (I think) that saw her ditch the Joker in the first issue and head off to the big city with her friend Poison Ivy. It was cute and pretty funny from memory. Her original costume was also notable for being fairly practical and far less sexualised than other female comic characters of the time, probably because the show she first appeared in was made for kids.

#38 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Yes, I remember that series. Watched it as a kid. The Joker was like an abusive spouse that she left for Poison Ivy and then went back to him.

I have seen many, many Harley Quinn cosplays at conventions. The nature of her character disturbs me as the relationship she has with the Joker is one young women and teens aspire to when it’s manipulative and abusive. If it wasn’t glorified and promoted I would g have that much of a problem, but it is.

#39 kirstenfleur

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

DS, nearly 8, Grade 2: going as a Roman Legionnary. Was originally going to take an Asterix book (and say he hadn't met the Gauls yet), but is now taking "Facts About Ancient Rome".

DD, 12, Grade 6: going as Will Treaty from Ranger's Apprentice. Brown/grey/green clothes, and a huge cloak that I've made for her in camo. We've got a bow and toy arrows, and I'm about to make a quiver out of a Pringles tin and fake leather.

Me, 40, Parent: going as Bilbo Baggins. Same cloak pattern in green, knee length pants, a vest with brass buttons, the One Ring around my neck (I'm adapting this from a curtain ring), skin coloured socks with the toes cut out and brown wool sewn through for hobbit feet.

I LOVE BOOK WEEK

#40 Fourteenyears

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

View Postkirstenfleur, on 14 August 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

DD, 12, Grade 6: going as Will Treaty from Ranger's Apprentice. Brown/grey/green clothes, and a huge cloak that I've made for her in camo. We've got a bow and toy arrows, and I'm about to make a quiver out of a Pringles tin and fake leather.

This is what my now 14 year old went as in year five.

This year my 10 year old wants to go as a Tom from Spook’s apprentice.  Which requires an almost identical costume. I am so excited that finally, after all these years, I get to recycle one.     And it is way easier than previous requests, which have been stuff like Fawkes the Phoenix from Harry Potter.

#41 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

My kid has chosen Slinky Malinki. Super easy for me.

#42 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

My 10 yr old HP mad son has (very slightly) deviated from his usual Harry Potter characters this year and decided on Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts. He has previously been Ron Weasley, Dobby and one eyed moody.

This year he was choosing between Newt and a dragon from the Wings of Fire series.

#43 chiars

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

My DD (now 12) and her entire YR6 class (boys, girls and including teacher) all went in onesie's last year and then just chose a book to match the outfit.

There were cows and sheep (Old McDonald), pigs (Charlotte's Web), giraffes, lions and elephants (Giraffes cant Dance) and heaps more. It was fantastic and easy as most people already had them, borrowed or could get online relatively quickly.

And considering book week is in winter they all kept warm for a change!

Edited by chiars, 14 August 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#44 Mrs Claus

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:47 PM

10 year old is going as a book worm
12 year old as mr bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.