Thoughts on McDonalds parties

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 seayork2002

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostJenflea, on 14 August 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

Maybe I'm a terrible bogan with no taste, but I actually quite like a cheese burger, and their chips if they're hot. Oh and I LOVE a frozen coke and an apple pie.

I'd rather have it than a frozen party pie frankly.

But can you beat a triple cheese burger from the 1980/1990's

(maybe more recently)

They were amazing!!!!!

Oh and I still have wonderful dreams of that USA fluorescent cheese goodness they have on their burgers, sure it glows in the dark but it is seriously yummy

#102 born.a.girl

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 15 August 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

But can you beat a triple cheese burger from the 1980/1990's

(maybe more recently)

They were amazing!!!!!

Oh and I still have wonderful dreams of that USA fluorescent cheese goodness they have on their burgers, sure it glows in the dark but it is seriously yummy

They're probably still safe to eat.

#103 nom_de_plume

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

View PostJinksNewton, on 15 August 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

As someone who has a wood oven pizza place and a really good fish and chip shop (with proper charcoal chicken!) near us, I call bullsh*t on this. I eat oven baked all the time but it doesn't compare with a chippie that knows what it's doing.
But better than the chain places, yeah probably.

Haven't done a Macca's party ourselves, but have been to a few. They're fine :)

Yeah nah. We’re Italian. DP’s home made (also wood fired) pizza is the bomb! I take your point that there are some good wood fired pizza places around and they are much better than chain stores, but I wouldn’t pay $20+ per pizza for something we can make at home for a fraction of the price.

We do not have a good fish and chip store anywhere near by. I much prefer oven baked over deep fried. For starters I don’t get that queasy, bloated feeling after eating it.

#104 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 August 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

OK - I'm judgy on all those who eat McDonalds cheese!!!  

It is revolting!  I'll happily go their other burgers, and a request for 'no cheese' generally means it's cooked fresh for you.

I do think though, that the 'burgers are better at ........" Just saying.  

And I am ever grateful that I live in a 'crunchy free' bubble.  Thanks for explaining the term.

I think they use “non plastic” cheese in the fancy burgers.

But I do like it in the McMuffins.

#105 Kaz83

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 15 August 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

The reason why I don’t like  Maccas parties is that you are at the mercy of how busy that particular Maccas is, how big the party is, how many parents stay and how big the party room is.

The kids are competing for the play equipment and if there isn’t enough seating in the party room then finding seating in the actual restaurant can be difficult in peak times.

Not all Maccas have play equipment.

I have been to a couple at different Maccas and was largely unimpressed. At one had no party or play room and they just booked a few tables and apart from the food party there was nothing much else for the kids to do.

Why it is impersonal as it’s just a side part of a restaurant to generate income.  After that whether or not the party is successful or not is on the onsite facilities and how much the party coordinator is prepared to do.

I might be missing all the venues that are well set up to cope with a party but still quite unimpressed.

There is only one maybe two (at a stretch) of my kids that would be the right age and if they were to receive an invite I wouldn’t decline it because Maccas but I wouldn’t host a party there.

Well wouldnt it be up to the parents to choose a Maccas that had a party room and play ground? We had a Maccas party when my daughter turned 5 and as we live rural we picked a Maccas that had the best play equipment. Most Maccas have been recently renovated to improve their play equipment so I dont see why you would pick one that had none.

As has been mentioned before, you are at the mercy of the host and ours wasnt great in my opinion but you know what? The only person that remembers that is me.... my daughter had a great time and still talks about it 4 years later.

We have Maccas fairly regularly due to convenience when we drive the hour to the metro area but even then our kids arent huge fans... they prefer the icecreams and a play. I think my husband and I actually like it more than them!!

So to the OP I say go for it.

#106 cstar

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

I couldn't imagine picking a maccas for a kids bday party without a play area???

#107 kimasa

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Do they even run parties at the ones without play areas? I only know of two anyway and neither have a party room.

#108 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

View Postkimasa, on 15 August 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

Do they even run parties at the ones without play areas? I only know of two anyway and neither have a party room.

No idea. I haven’t seen one with party room for so long. I didn’t even realise they still did them.

#109 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 August 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

You may be right!

https://www.news.com...f423b6a7675ca4b

#110 Holidayromp

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 August 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

:rofl:

And probably glows in the dark at night.....

#111 Jingleflea

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

The 3 closest to me all have party rooms and playgrounds.
Only the ones in the shopping centres themselves don't, that I've seen.

#112 seayork2002

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 15 August 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

If we (any of us) made a burger at home and did that would it looks any different?

the McDonalds around us have play equipment and some a party room, not the food court ones though

The local Burger King has a party room too

#113 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostChchgirl, on 15 August 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

I'm a cheese whore. I'll eat any cheese, except blue vein!

Haha - that's about the only cheese I will eat.  Or a hard, smoked cheese.  

But I'm a cheese hater in general - not just maccas!  

Fish and chips from a good chippie - OMG yes!!!!!  I know I'll feel queasy and off afterwards, but sooo good going down!

#114 Gonzy

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:40 PM

My kids haven't ever been invited to a Maccas party but I would have no problems with it at all.

For my 8th birthday my twin sister and I chose to go for family dinner at Maccas over having a party with friends :omg:  I guess Maccas felt like that much of a treat for our shoestring budget, healthy eating home.

I am a bit of a running joke in my family when it comes to kids parties.  When I was a new and very young mum, I hosted the most ridiculous and absurd 1st birthday party for son number 1.

Put it this way, I had wine labels made up with his face and birth stats on it, then had that put on dozens of bottles of wine and bubbles and we drank that for the evening - yes, absolutely ridiculous. And that was just the drinks, I spent an entire week making the food.

Anyway, after that ludicrous event,  I made a public declaration to my family that I would never host birthday parties again unless my kids specifically asked for them (yep, I am an all or nothing person).  DS14 has had a 4th and 12th party.  DS11 has had an 8th and has asked for one for his 12th in a month.  
I am yet to see what DS20 months will do as he grows - hopefully very little lol.

I am either a genius, or the grinch depending on who you ask :closedeyes:

Edited by Gonzy, 15 August 2019 - 01:42 PM.

#115 hills mum bec

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

This thread is taking me back to my childhood when a lot of the McDonalds & Hungry Jacks had old traincars attached to the restaurants that they used for party rooms, they were so cool.  I remember getting my first McDonalds (or may have been HJs) birthday invite but I had never been to a burger restaurant before, I didn't even know what a hamburger was!  I don't think I ate my hamburger at the party but I did have a lot of fun on the train and the playground.

#116 BahumChchgirlbug

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 August 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Haha - that's about the only cheese I will eat.  Or a hard, smoked cheese.  

But I'm a cheese hater in general - not just maccas!  

Fish and chips from a good chippie - OMG yes!!!!!  I know I'll feel queasy and off afterwards, but sooo good going down!

Ooh I agree with the fish and chips!

#117 kimasa

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

Is there any other outer east Melbourne child here who went to a Postman Pat party at that place on the corner of Burwood Hwy and Springvale Rd.

It's now a China Bar I think but I cannot remember what it was at the time, but I was invited to two Postman Pat parties there in the early-mid 90s and I remember eating fish and chips.

#118 hills mum bec

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

View Postkimasa, on 15 August 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

Is there any other outer east Melbourne child here who went to a Postman Pat party at that place on the corner of Burwood Hwy and Springvale Rd.

It's now a China Bar I think but I cannot remember what it was at the time, but I was invited to two Postman Pat parties there in the early-mid 90s and I remember eating fish and chips.

Was it a Red Rooster?

#119 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 August 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

I do think though, that the 'burgers are better at ........" Just saying.  
I prefer HJs to maccas. I don't eat much of either, but if I have a choice, I would drive an extra 15-20 minutes for a HJ before a maccas.

#120 born.a.girl

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

View Postkimasa, on 15 August 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

View Posthills mum bec, on 15 August 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

Was it a Red Rooster?

I know the place you mean (and no, hmb, it was never a Red Rooster from my memory), and remember when it became some sort of fish & chip place,and their opening night was a charity function where people lined up for hours and it was on the news.

I remember it because my niece was one of those lining up, and because of where we were living it would have been early nineties.

(I also travelled that route regularly for work so saw the name, but can't for the life of me remember it.)

It doesn't seem to have ever succeeded as anything long term.

#121 kimasa

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Nah, it's always changing, it's not the greatest location.

#122 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

China Bar on Burwood Highway is always packed. You have to book and carparking can be bad. They did an internal renovation last year and is pretty amazing. It's a great Asian all you can eat buffet.
It's been China Bar for at least the last 8 years.

#123 tothebeach

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

I must admit that I turned down a couple of Maccas parties when DS1 was young.   We didn’t eat junk food and I didn’t want them to ask me for junk food.  

My children also never had 2 min noodles or frankfurts or anything similar.

I’m not as uptight now and would say yes to the invite.

But my children still don’t eat McDonalds.

#124 Jingleflea

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

HJs makes me ill.
I've only had it a few times and I was sick after each burger I ate, though that might have been the one in my local food court, it closed years ago.

I'm also a firm believer in everything in moderation. If you ban something, that's the thing they'll most want.
I was never fed junk food growing up(brown bread, low fat milk, home grown veggies, you get the idea) and once I was in my own place i went overboard on food I never had growing up. White bread, full cream milk, coke..

Forbidden fruit is sweeter and all that.
It wasn't great for my waistline, that's for sure.

So now DD gets SMALL amounts of most foods. We'll share a serve of nuggets, or she gets the smallest size of what she gets, but I don't deny her the foods all her friends get.

#125 Sincerely

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 15 August 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I prefer HJs to maccas. I don't eat much of either, but if I have a choice, I would drive an extra 15-20 minutes for a HJ before a maccas.

The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks, the coffee is better at McDonald's, the hash browns are comparable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.