Thoughts on McDonalds parties

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#26 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

We've been to so many. They're fun, they're easy, the kids love them.

#27 ~J_WTF~

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

I say go for it.

Anyone who declines an invite based purely on maccas party, probably isn’t worth the time anyway.

#28 MarciaB

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:30 AM

The first time my eldest had Maccas was at a Maccas party. I admit I rolled my eyes when I got the invite - then I went - kids had a blast, so easy for parents! I felt like a goose for sneering.

Do it OP :).

#29 Ayr

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

I didn't even know McDonald's parties were even still a thing! I'd send my child but I can imagine there will be a few who decline because it's McDonald's. I probably wouldn't hold one there myself but my kids have always had a 5 or so friend limit on invites so it's not like th whole class I have to fit in my house.

Edited by Ayr, 14 August 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#30 Pearson

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Why not?

I too have an older teenager and a single digit kid. If the declines want to decline, let them decline. That is not your problem, that is theirs. The party is for your daughter, and if her friends and their parents are going to think less of you for it - screw em.
We recently did a bowling party, and just drew the line at soft drink for the kids, otherwise they ate nuggets, hot dogs, chips (hot and cold types) ice cream and cake. They had water to drink.

I have done all sorts of parties, and food is popular no matter what, each kid will eat what they want. If Maccas will let you and you want to - bring in fruit platter.

#31 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Just had a 6 year old party and all the parents stayed.
My worry with McDs is where do the parents hang out? Especially if like my local stores, the weekends get manaic and getting tables is hard and the party room a bit cramped. Do you just stand in the party room? McDs parties are probably better for older drop and go kids. I ended up with  14 parents at the play centre place sitting around a table drinking coffees for only 11 kids, as some people brought the entire family to hang out as well!

#32 Ayr

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

Back when my eldest went to one the parents just sit on the chairs around the party room put there for them or get a table.

#33 ELF_em_bee

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:05 AM

Go for it!  Do what is easy for you.  The kids will have a great time on the play area and the food is ok for what it is, party food.
I went to a party for DDs little friend, and the 16 year old party host was amazing!  She wanted to be a teacher after high school and was so good with the kids games etc..! It was definitely not impersonal!

#34 Sincerely

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

At that age, the kids will have a ball in the play area.

McCafes usually serve much better coffee than play centres and other party venues so as a parent who used to hang around parties until my kids were about 7, I personally preferred McDonalds to other venues. It was also possible to find a quieter spot to sit - most play centres are really loud and it was impossible to find a quiet spot in them.

It is all about the kids & not about the parents, but I think it's a good choice in general.

Edited by Sincerely, 14 August 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#35 Babetty

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

Do it. I never had a Macca's party for either of my kids, but they've both been to a couple and had fun.

#36 JBH

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

Self righteous parenting me of a few years ago: no, not McDonalds, i’m Opposed to the place because of rampant consumerism, poor quality nutrition, all that is wrong in this modern world, don’t do it.

Now that i’ve Been in this gig a while: Do it. You’ll be calm, the children will love it. I still have the same objections I used to, but I don’t kid myself those issues are confined to McDonalds and my job is to teach my children critical analysis as they grow older, not to keep them from a 5th birthday party. And I collect Ooshies from a supermarket chain - my high horse bolted long ago. Do the party you can afford and cope with and the kids will enjoy.

#37 lozoodle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

I did one this year. So easy, no pressure on parents to leave if they don't want or have other kids - they can just sit in the restaurant and do their own thing if need be. Quick and easy, everyone knows what to expect, and no bullsh*t!

The food is better than most of the sh*t you get at play centre parties and the like!

Edited by lozoodle, 14 August 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#38 Sweet.Pea

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

I would.

After 3 years old, kids know about junk food. It's a treat. Someone's party is a treat.

Do the parents who say no, really think their kids don't find a way to have junk food? I guess you have the whole red light lunch boxes but kids find a way.

#39 little lion

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

We are considering having one this year for our kids. We recently attended one at a Maccas about 10 minutes away from home but it was so well set up that it made an ideal party venue. The one we went to at a regular Maccas were OK but I loved this store where a whole floor was devoted to the party. It had a glass enclosed party room and ample seating around the glass box to watch the party without hearing it too much. And this floor had direct access to a playground. Plus, it had a monitor where you could place an order. Perfect!

#40 Soontobegran

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

Your sister needs to hush.

I recently went to my 3 year old grand daughter's. There were half a dozen of her CC mates and their parents and grand parents. It was a happy and relaxed time where the party person engaged with them and played with them AND cleaned up.
If giving your children Macca's party food every now and then is the worst thing you do parenting then you are doing fine.

Impersonal Holidayromp?

#41 Riotproof

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

I think you have to really consider the purpose of a kids party.

It is ultimately for them to play and sing happy birthday to the birthday child. Big tick.

#42 sandy34

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

We wouldn't attend as we're pretty anti McDonald's but wouldn't bat an eyelid at being invited. It seems like a reasonable party.
Probably wouldn't host one either just because my children's cohort are all pretty crunchy. I imagine we'd get lots of declines.

#43 Soontobegran

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

View Postsandy34, on 14 August 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

Probably wouldn't host one either just because my children's cohort are all pretty crunchy. I imagine we'd get lots of declines.

Your children's cohorts parents you mean.

I don't think the average young child would let 'crunchy' get in the way of having fun at a party with their peers even if it is Macca's.

#44 seayork2002

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

DS and his friends (and their siblings so boys and girls of all ages) as a group had a variety of parties, including McDonalds, Burger King, play centers, at home and other party venues

there top no.1 criteria and most important thing in THE WORLD (I am told) is

'it's a party, I'm there'

I am very thankful DS that his friends are not judgmental on what parties they attend

#45 hills mum bec

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

Yes!  All the McDonalds near us stopped doing parties quite some time ago but my now teenagers went to quite a few when they were younger, so stress free and cheap compared to other options.  I actually think the food offering is probably quite a bit better than the type of party food that you would get at a regular play cafe.  I don't get the people that would decline just because it's McDonalds, that seems so shallow to me.

#46 smilinggirl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

They are great for the convenience but can be hit and miss due to the party host. You can always ask around on your local FB group about their experiences. I would consider moving the date though to the week after. I know with our annual holiday our now 7 year old is exhausted the day after we come home and parties at Maccas do tend to involve a lot of running around!

#47 timtam92

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

We did our son’s 6th birthday there last year and all the kids had the best time! Cheap and easy!

#48 Little Bean

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

I love it when my kids go to macca's parties.
They don't run very long, which means it doesn't take up half your weekend.
My kids are bloody fussy eaters but at least when we go to a macca's party I know in advance what food they're getting and that they will eat it.
If I don't know any of the other parents or just don't really feel like making small talk on the day I can grab a coffee and sit somewhere in earshot but away from the general crowd (bit hard to do that when you're awkwardly sitting at the house of someone you don't know).
Given your timeframe OP, and your daughter's age, I think it would be ideal. Also you don't want to spend half the time while you're away chasing up last-minute RSVPs and making sure you have the right number of loot bags, etc. I'm sure macca's will be quite accommodating with last-minute number changes, as long as you still meet the minimum required for a party.

#49 born.a.girl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

As someone who's child received breathtakingly rare birthday party invitations, I'd probably have let her go to far worse places.

#50 Chchgirl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

My kids are 21 and 18 now, they went to a few in primary school and had one or two each.

I thought they were great, and other's opinions don't bother me and never did. If they decline, too bad. In my experience with the second child,  parents were crap at rsvp'ing so it wouldn't have made a difference for me.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.